Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2019, 11:43 AM

11,055 posts, read 6,643,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
How long do you go without eating?
Not kara, but I practice this. Only eat around 8:00 or 9:00 pm. That's it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2019, 11:48 AM

50,768 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post

Wow, why so late? What do you do during lunchtime at work? That's when I would feel most "deprived".

Old 09-22-2019, 11:49 AM

703 posts, read 612,799 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl How long do you go without eating?
I'll chime in too, if I may, since there's a a lot of variations in this protocol.

I eat between 9:00 am and 5:00pm at the latest. Usually I finish a bit earlier maybe 4:15- 4:30. No food between 5:00pm and 9:00 (or later, depending on when I get up) the next day

The general diet is low carb but not a lot of meat

Old 09-22-2019, 11:55 AM

50,768 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallstaff View Post
I'll chime in too, if I may, since there's a a lot of variations in this protocol.

I eat between 9:00 am and 5:00pm at the latest. Usually I finish a bit earlier maybe 4:15- 4:30. No food between 5:00pm and 9:00 (or later, depending on when I get up) the next day

The general diet is low carb but not a lot of meat

Oh, eating wise that is similar to me. I eat most of my calories at work, and once I leave work I don't normally eat again till I have a protein bar in the morning (I feel like I need something in the a.m. because otherwise my vitamins hurt my stomach).

Low carb without meat sounds hard! Does chicken count as meat?

Old 09-22-2019, 12:05 PM

703 posts, read 612,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Oh, eating wise that is similar to me. I eat most of my calories at work, and once I leave work I don't normally eat again till I have a protein bar in the morning (I feel like I need something in the a.m. because otherwise my vitamins hurt my stomach).
Low carb without meat sounds hard! Does chicken count as meat?
I didn't say without meat. I said, not a lot of meat. ha ha Yes. Chicken counts. So do eggs. All animal products are OK. I do eat a lot of vegetables. I don't get the low carbers who seem to thing vegetables must be eliminated any more than I get vegetarians who think I'll explode if I eat an egg or a drink skim milk....? And yes, I have known plenty of both

My "secret" I guess you'd call it, that keeps me "in-the-game" is nuts. I do eat a fair amount of nuts. High fat/ low carb/sufficient calories to keep my appetite steady and level and keep me from getting swoony during the day.

Old 09-22-2019, 12:36 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,758,356 times
I don’t eat nuts as much, I think that’s how I gained all the weight. I’ve been steadily losing weight, like yesterday I lost more than 1 pound, all I did was had a big breakfast, bacon, egg, steel oats, and coffee and toast, big lunch, and small piece of fish for dinner. But I increased my movements, lots of gardening, no swimming even.
I think it’s best to increase movements or activities. One day I did not exercise even, but I cooked four dishes for my husband within 2 hours and I lost weight. There are many ways to do it. When I was tracking on my fitness app, I lost nothing and it was a pain to keep track of things.

Old 09-22-2019, 12:38 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,280,356 times
My grandmother, who lived to 99 1/2 years young, once told me that the key to longevity is learning to deal with loss. No truer words were ever spoken.

Cat

Old 09-22-2019, 01:16 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Me too...

Summers... eat only Before dawn, and after dark (usually 10 PM) don't burn daylight eating...
Winters... eat ONLY between noon and 6pm, Very hard Exercise in AM (before noon) and in evening (if I wake up at 3am and cannot get back to sleep, I exercise until I drop 'dead' (asleep). active body catches up with active mind.

Hard exercise for me is stairs or swimming, 1 hr each. ~ 2 miles minimum swimming. (140+ lengths @ 25m)
The key is activating newly discovered vitality genes, the descendants of an ancient genetic survival circuit that is both the cause of aging and the key to reversing it.
Fad among my elderly 'alternative medicine friends' at the moment is stem cell treatments.

Old 09-22-2019, 01:25 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,399,080 times
In a sense, aren't we fasting when 12 hours or more pass between dinner and breakfast?? I used to read a lot about diet and longevity but since retiring, I just stick with moderation of all foods. I have seen so many variants of aging by observing relatives and friends that it all seems random at best. I have ice cream, steak and other supposed no-nos now and then because they taste good!!

Old 09-22-2019, 02:13 PM

2,478 posts, read 1,550,658 times
I have been skipping breakfast. My first week I skipped breakfast and lunch and snacked on some nuts and berries, but very little. I was feeling bloated for weeks and felt I had to do something. My wife picked up a book by Dr. Jason Fung, The Obesity Code, and in it I read about fasting. I drink one cup of excellent coffee and eat a small lunch each day now. Feel trim, lost over five pounds quickly, and I’m not a big guy (160lbs). Feel much better.

For people who think they would be uncomfortable and cranky your stomach will shrink and you will likely feel less hunger after the first week or so. Worth a try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement