U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:28 PM

3,091 posts, read 1,678,012 times

Advertisements

I use things until they wear out, & even then I try to find a way to repurpose them or their parts: clothes, furniture, etc.,

I've never bought a new car in my life & drove all of them until they died. I haven't owned a car now for 26 years, I'm primarily able to use public transportation here & I will rent a car occasionally every few years.

I used to buy almost all of my furniture used, only buying new starting in my 50's. I do buy new now but try to anticipate exactly what I want & then wait, sometimes more than a year, for a deep sale. If I buy it online I will use one of the cash rebate services too & also use a credit card that gives me points for travel.

And that way I'm able to travel pretty often overseas because of the free, or almost free air tickets I get. I typically stay at BnB's or 2 star hotels & avoid the typical tourist "sights" preferring to stay in residential areas & eat in the locals cafes & I do a lot of self guided walking tours. I wash my t-shirts, underwear & socks in my hotel at night.

I haven't carried a charge over on a credit card since 1995 but I charge every single little thing on my credit card for the travel points.

Instead of buying a new mattress, which I needed to get about 4-5 years ago, I can't sleep on the cheap ones: bumpy, lousy back support & even then they don't last too long anymore. Now I buy a memory foam topper to put on top of my old bumpy mattress & it's like a new luxury mattress. ( Do the math of buying one of those at $150 -$250 every 5 years compared to a new good mattress.)

I used to buy what was on sale at the grocery each week but I've had a change of heart for my well being. I buy my typical grains & veggies but now I spend the extra to get grass fed, pasture finished, free range, non-gmo, etc., meat, dairy & eggs.
I also don't buy cheap coffee or beer... life is too short for that!

Last edited by Hefe; Yesterday at 08:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:44 PM

1,535 posts, read 692,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
Carry no cc debt. Live within our means. Am generally not wasteful, rather try to be resourceful.
People doing those things are rarely "poor people."

Old Yesterday, 09:04 PM

9,592 posts, read 8,566,213 times
I am a poor person so it is how I live my life.

I'm pretty frugal except when it comes to entertainment, life is too short, but even then, I'm frugal.

Old Yesterday, 09:41 PM

1,799 posts, read 2,483,549 times
If you watch your pennies, your dollars will watch themselves. I shop the food sales and stock up. I buy used, high dollar clothes and shoes/purses on EBAY. I do all my own house and yard (2+ acres) work, by myself. I wash my own car. Every penny counts. That way, I can travel, spend tons of money on my two ancient dobermans, etc.

Old Yesterday, 09:47 PM

4,955 posts, read 1,916,734 times
I live in Philippine heat, and have literally not turned on the AC once in over two years.

We have no car.

Old Yesterday, 09:57 PM

5,801 posts, read 3,064,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Robot strikes again.
Ah, now I see what you meant. The entity merely changed its tactics from posting under yet another new handle at the START of each month, to posting near the END of the month.

Good catch!

Old Yesterday, 10:07 PM

14,177 posts, read 6,802,424 times
Every time we have a new poster, I check the type of post they make, robots tend to make the same type of thread and never return to post them. This is probably the 5th or 6th thread I’ve reported.

Old Yesterday, 10:12 PM

2,470 posts, read 2,543,529 times
I don't make fun of people that have less than I do.

Old Yesterday, 10:51 PM

1,301 posts, read 478,690 times
Sneak into motel rooms when they are being cleaned and take the used soap which I process along with my own scraps to form new bars.
Save singleton or raggedy socks to dry dishes, wax my car, and clean kitchen counters.
Collect free packets of ketchup and make tomato soup, both at home and in restaurants.
Use two squares of (single ply) tp for #1 by folding into an origami crane.

Want more, robot?

Old Today, 12:29 AM

13,947 posts, read 10,013,427 times
Keep celery stumps, and resprout them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement