U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-23-2019, 10:34 AM
Status: " ." (set 13 days ago)
 
161 posts, read 35,180 times
Reputation: 262

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
I realize that.


This is a very cheap phone that I use only very rarely. It is a pre-paid Tracfone that has 500 minutes on it--leftover from a long time ago. It costs about $7.00 per month to keep it active and usable.
sounds good
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-23-2019, 11:13 AM
 
5 posts, read 1,168 times
Reputation: 14
Sounds like a lot of ya'll are confusing frugal w/ cheap. In other words, lots of cheapskates out there. I knew a guy once that left a 25 cents tip for a meal for four people, it wasn't that he couldn't afford to tip, it was he said he remembered the great depression? Was he cheap or frugal?

I don't have a lot myself, but try to eat out once a week or so. Never bought clothes at Goodwill or Salvation Army, but have donated lots of stuff to those organizations over the years.

Luckily, I paid off my house while I was still working. Now retired and live on fixed income. Not easy but who ever said life would be easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2019, 11:20 AM
 
Location: Milwaukee
4,884 posts, read 2,261,530 times
Reputation: 3089
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Tech Sr. View Post
Sounds like a lot of ya'll are confusing frugal w/ cheap. In other words, lots of cheapskates out there. I knew a guy once that left a 25 cents tip for a meal for four people, it wasn't that he couldn't afford to tip, it was he said he remembered the great depression? Was he cheap or frugal?

I don't have a lot myself, but try to eat out once a week or so. Never bought clothes at Goodwill or Salvation Army, but have donated lots of stuff to those organizations over the years.

Luckily, I paid off my house while I was still working. Now retired and live on fixed income. Not easy but who ever said life would be easy.
The topic is "What poor person things do you do?"

not "What frugal things do you do?" or "What cheap things do you do?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2019, 11:22 AM
 
Location: equator
3,915 posts, read 1,707,013 times
Reputation: 9783
Reuse paper towels, ziplock bags, aluminum foil, plastic bags, jars, etc.

Laundry once a week.

Rarely eat out.

No car.

Buy the cheapest airline seats.

Hardly ever buy clothes or "stuff".

Only have Netflix and a $15 phone plan.

Save all leftovers for another meal.

Conserve water and electricity.

Still using soap and shampoo from the cruise ship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2019, 11:23 AM
 
Location: Milwaukee
4,884 posts, read 2,261,530 times
Reputation: 3089
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Reuse paper towels, ziplock bags, aluminum foil, plastic bags, jars, etc.

Laundry once a week.

Rarely eat out.

No car.

Buy the cheapest airline seats.

Hardly ever buy clothes or "stuff".

Only have Netflix and a $15 phone plan.

Save all leftovers for another meal.

Conserve water and electricity.

Still using soap and shampoo from the cruise ship.
Airline trips and cruise ships? How fancy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2019, 11:28 AM
 
7,392 posts, read 2,674,053 times
Reputation: 16892
I drive a 17 yr. old car. And it looks every bit of a 17 yr. old car. I'd rather be driving a Charger, Camaro or Mustang.


I shop at Thrift stores and Goodwill...but I do it for fun so not sure it counts. I do shop at Walmart for groceries about twice a month...but I don't enjoy it. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2019, 11:50 AM
 
Location: Upper Left Hand Corner
2,791 posts, read 1,049,789 times
Reputation: 4654
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Every time we have a new poster, I check the type of post they make, robots tend to make the same type of thread and never return to post them. This is probably the 5th or 6th thread Iíve reported.
Why report them? This is an excellent topic, lot's of good ideas. Give me more of the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2019, 12:04 PM
 
Location: Tennessee
24,512 posts, read 18,257,844 times
Reputation: 28805
I like to putter around thrift stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2019, 12:26 PM
 
Location: Milwaukee
4,884 posts, read 2,261,530 times
Reputation: 3089
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Every time we have a new poster, I check the type of post they make, robots tend to make the same type of thread and never return to post them. This is probably the 5th or 6th thread Iíve reported.
What is the purpose of the robot poster?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2019, 12:29 PM
 
Location: Texas
2,036 posts, read 1,420,802 times
Reputation: 6945
I love my Ramen Noodle soup, and I only use a Tracfone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top