U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2019, 12:32 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,356,937 times

Advertisements

Frugally and actually more gracious- I have used cloth napkins for over forty years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2019, 01:20 PM

2,791 posts, read 1,051,670 times
People in our senior apartments put food they don't want on the free table in the laundry room. I get most of my beans, rice, and a few various other non perishable foods there for free. Another place allowed you to put out clothes, or housing stuff you didn't want anymore too. I love free tables.

I visit the food bank at the church occasionally. Some of the food that is put out on the free table came from there.

Being on a low fixed income I only carry the bare minimum Liability insurance to be legal for my 15 yr old paid for van. I just can't afford to pay $90 a month for full coverage. And I don't live where I can get by with no vehicle. Maybe some day, but not around here. Not having a vehicle would save a bunch.

I have section 8 now to help with my rent in senior housing, as well as food stamps (SNAP), thank God.

I love thrift stores. Rarely buy new clothes. Try not to go hog wild when I do have to buy something. Look for the best prices on things.

I trim the ends of my long hair myself. I hope I don't botch it up too badly, lol.

I never go out anymore. I finally figured out around 20 yrs ago that it was a huge waste of time, and money. I'd rather stay home at night, lol. I just get the lowest priced beer on sale, and watch cheapo movies, or videos on youtube, or read. My main entertainment expense is the internet. No cable tv, just a $15 indoor antennae, but never use it cuz I'm on the computer instead since it's much more interesting.

I have one kitty. I like dogs too, so I volunteered to walk my two elderly neighbor's dogs (one each) every other day. It helps them out, and gets me out of the apt, and they keep me company so I'm not tempted to get a dog myself.

I only put in $20 - $25 a month for fuel, and that's it for the month. That means I don't get to go anywhere exciting, just shopping in the larger town over when my SS comes in. Yipee, skipee! I'm pretty bored with that arrangement. But I worry what I would do if the van broke down, and I couldn't pay to get it fixed. I do carry AAA plus though.

At the beginning of the month when my SS comes in I pay all the bills first, then go shopping for essentials. The money goes fast in the beginning, and then I have a long period of lack till the next month.

I never go to the doctor. Don't even have one. But I'd like to get to the bottom of my wretched health issues. I just can't see having to pay medical bills up the wahzoo, and not have anything solved. Just more bills added.

I need dentures too, but can't afford them either. Medicare doesn't pay for them, and I don't qualify for medicaid.

Putting off health care is something that poor people do, sadly. I do try to save toward things, but it seems that for every step forward it's two steps back.

I have constant congested sinuses, and got tired of buying tissues. So I found pretty $1 bandanas for ladies at Wally world that are great for hankies. Then I can wash, and reuse.

I do appreciate all the helpful tips from everybody, thanks.

Last edited by mlulu23; 09-23-2019 at 01:34 PM..

Old 09-23-2019, 01:21 PM

14,636 posts, read 7,868,539 times
I use GasBuddy dot Com and always buy my fuel at the cheapest place along my route of travel.

I'm very aware of food prices in the grocery store for things I buy repeatedly. On my major shops several times per month, I buy those staples at the cheapest place.

Old 09-23-2019, 01:30 PM

14,234 posts, read 6,830,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
What is the purpose of the robot poster?
Who knows, but since the how many threads started, I’ve been checking new poster to see if the same robots are back and they are. The thread is not removed but the poster is no longer a member.

Old 09-23-2019, 01:59 PM

937 posts, read 258,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
I realize that.

This is a very cheap phone that I use only very rarely. It is a pre-paid Tracfone that has 500 minutes on it--leftover from a long time ago. It costs about $7.00 per month to keep it active and usable.
Look into T- mobile: you can have $3 per month contribution and pay as you go $0.10 per min for each incoming and outgoing minute.
If you donít use any minutes- they are gone: once you put $10 - it is good for 3 month, and I think they will keep your number for additional 90 days without any money- if you donít pay at the end of 90 day period after your money expired- you lose you number.
Technically it is less than $3 per month counting 90 day courtesy period.
I learned that from volunteers at shelters.

Old 09-23-2019, 02:02 PM

579 posts, read 263,721 times
Everything that rich people don't do!

Old 09-23-2019, 02:11 PM

937 posts, read 258,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
.... and I won't bat an eye in buying new plants.
You don’t even need to buy plants: you can take a cutting and stick it into the ground: lemon, oranges, anything really... at right time and in the right location
Looks like you live in a very good climate for succulents. If you like them- you don’t need to buy them
- succulents could be very easily propagated by pinching the top off of the stem or even just 1 leaf and planting it directly very shallow- they would make a new plants for free.
Propagation of all kinds of plants is very easily done- just read the book from the library- you will save more money- very- very few plants you can’t propagate or difficult.
A lot of times you don’t even need to buy any growth hormone they say to use:
Just stick it it in the soil and keep it in a light shade. In your dry climate: put a clear plastic bag loosely over 3 chopsticks stuck in the ground to keep moisture over the seedlings until roots start to develop- then take that bag off.
When you see new growth- replant to a final destination.
https://www.pinalcentral.com/trivall...224d20b83.html

https://youtu.be/WazIV8w50C4

Last edited by Nik4me; 09-23-2019 at 02:21 PM..

Old 09-23-2019, 03:15 PM

5,586 posts, read 2,884,142 times
I have a Trac Fone, but I just use it to get calls in. I listen to the messages and then call back on Skype - $2.99 a month as long as I have my computer.

If the cream will be going bad in a couple days and I can't use it for anything, I make it into butter and freeze it. When I put a stick of butter on the dish, I scrape the butter wrapper to make sure and get all of it.

My car is 14 years old and I'll probably have it another 20 years. I put about 4000 miles a year on it and my insurance is dirt cheap. I drive on tires till they're bald, although I try to do as much maintenance on the car as I can to make it last.

When half of the bottom sole of my shoe came off and made walking difficult, I just used duct tape and taped it together again. I get weird looks when I go out in public.

The contractor is supposed to be putting water on my lot today. If that gets done, I'll be moving out on it the end of October and living in my car. But this is the guy who took a year to mow my lot, so anything (or nothing) can happen in the next week.

I currently don't have a TV. If I move out to my lot in a month, my computer will be shut off by the end of September and then I won't have a computer, either.

I haven't had my hair cut in 12 years.

I need to visit a dentist and that probably won't happen for a lot of years. Just can't afford it.

I get $15 in food stamps every month, but I save them up all year and spend them all on food in December so I can buy presents for people with the money I save on food.

Yeah, I'm a little broke, but I own my own land and that means a lot to me and I'll sacrifice to keep it.

Old 09-23-2019, 06:30 PM

4,993 posts, read 1,935,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraR. View Post
1. When I get gas, wash the windshield and take a few extra paper towels as napkins for dinner later or as tp in glovebox for emergencies
2. Bring a scale & own bags to stores. Weigh the toilet paper for accurate cost per lb & weigh fixed price bunch produce.
3. No underwear
4. Wash my clothes in the waterfall during summer
5. Bank somewhere with free coffee. Visit daily removing about $5. Ok maybe I don't do the latter but only dream of it...
6. Instead of buying new clothes, I dye them with RIT making them appear new
7. Dumpster Diving for 5 gallon buckets which I use instead of toilets. Ok maybe not this one.
8. Shut my water off 1x a yr& pay fee to turn back on. In between, fill up my extra water tanks to last all year. Ok maybe not.
9. Crash the church potlucks for free food. Seventh Day Adventists are marvelous cooks and hold weekly potlucks! Ok maybe not
10. Carry an old cellphone just in case I ever need to call 911 while driving. Doubly covered combined w/Onstar
10. Do not carry auto insurance. Instead drive the deserted back roads to & from work with an official looking sign on the back of the vehicle with the words STUDENT DRIVER. Not one accident yet! Remove huge sign upon arrival.
11. Lookup the less expensive gas stations online at GAS BUDDY
11. Foster animals instead of having my own. Food is covered by the organization & mileage
12. Shower outside half the yr to save $ on water and cleaning the shower. A future goal
13. Volunteer at Food Pantry. Take some of what's leftover which will expire within the week & which otherwise be tossed out.
14. Dumpster dive at thrift store dumpsters where they toss out donations not up to par. Only if I have time to kill...maybe 1x yr
15. Put an add on Craigslist to ride-share to reduce gas expenses. No response
16. Wash my car while at work (about twice per mo)
17. Collect aluminum cans off the ground while walking. 1x a mo.
18. Dye my own hair
19. Catch crawdads in the river. Cook them on the spot for a tasty meal. Future goal
20. Pick wild blackberries.

You missed the point. Those are NOT things that poor people would even dream of doing. But you are definitely my kind of well-off person.

Old 09-23-2019, 06:33 PM

2,049 posts, read 1,570,017 times
I drive 20+ year old beaters and keep 'em running myself.

I have rice with green beans and ground beef 5 times week. My spreadsheet says it costs $3.17 per plate and it keeps me stuffed.

I use electric shears to buzz-cut my head - haven't paid a dime to a barber in over 20 years.

I ride a mountain bike everywhere. I prefer it to driving unless I'm in a hurry. I look like a homeless guy when I'm on it.

I buy old worn out appliances on craigslist and refurb them, then re-sell 'em on CL. I used to collect/re-cycle scrap metal but China killed the salvage market.

No cable TV - youtube only.

Last edited by tommy64; 09-23-2019 at 06:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement