Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2019, 07:26 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,016,239 times

Advertisements

HA ! I have a few streets in Beverly Hills that I LOVE to drive down to see the houses !
Garage sale
Lotto scratch offs in moderation .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2019, 07:41 PM

1,793 posts, read 3,348,388 times
Don't go out to eat at invites from friends or coworkers or any other time
Own two sets of sheets
Save all my change to help buy groceries (convert to cash in the stores)
Sell possessions when in an unexpected jam (car repairs, etc.,)
Shop at discount stores

Old 09-25-2019, 09:54 PM

535 posts, read 343,368 times
Share meals with my husband.

Eat a wedge salad for dinner for both of us.

Buy a rotisserie chicken and make 3 meals for 2 out of it: chicken and veggies, tacos, chicken salad.

Don't turn on the air conditioner.

Buy everything I want for my grandson used of the online marketplace.

Old 09-25-2019, 09:59 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
DH and I clean and maintain our home without assistance from house cleaners or lawn care guys.

We tend to wear clothes and shoes for years.

However, I don’t think DH and I really do poverty. Neither of us came from money, and we tend to be conservative in our wants and needs. We have enough. We don’t skimp too much. We had years of tight finances, but now things are more comfortable.

Old 09-25-2019, 10:22 PM

10,019 posts, read 8,621,189 times
I make a lot of things that most people just go out and buy, like tools, mouse traps, wasp traps, etc.
I'm constantly repairing things that break, like toasters, pencil sharpeners, even the vinyl blinds in my living room got so brittle that they began cracking in half, so I used Scotch tape to hold them together.

I was so used to not having money when I was growing up that I have become excruciatingly cheap. When I come home after spending money in a store I have to lie down for a while until the pain subsides. I was the only one of us kids that inherited this cheapness from our parents. I used to brown-bag my lunch at school everyday and my mom reminded me every morning to bring back the empty bag so I could use it the next day. That was my lunch box. All the other kids had Bonanza or Get Smart lunch boxes, I had Rexall Drugstore.

I save the shavings I get out of the pencil sharpener and sift out all the gray powder. I use it for graphite to loosen up locks, hinges and various other mechanisms. I have a bucket full of old rusty bent nails that I save and when I get bored I sand them down and straighten them out. There must be a dozen mustard and ketchup bottles in my icebox that are almost empty, I will add a little water to them and pour them into two other bottles so I won't have to buy mustard or ketchup for a while.

I'm still trying to think of a use for all those bread crumbs in that tray at the bottom of my toaster.

Old 09-26-2019, 01:26 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,572,039 times
I've bought a lot of yarn and fabric at goodwill. Also found some new looking vintage pyrex very cheap. I shop the sales, even at the grocery store.

Old 09-26-2019, 05:03 AM

1,793 posts, read 3,348,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suziq38 View Post
Share meals with my husband.

Eat a wedge salad for dinner for both of us.

Buy a rotisserie chicken and make 3 meals for 2 out of it: chicken and veggies, tacos, chicken salad.

Don't turn on the air conditioner.

Buy everything I want for my grandson used of the online marketplace.
Oh my gosh, me too!!! Only I give the dark meat to the dogs (over their dry food), take the breast and with a big frying pan saute brocolli, mushrooms, water chestnuts, onions & peppers & brown rice & get about 5 meals out of it.

Old 09-26-2019, 01:38 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post
I make a lot of things that most people just go out and buy, like tools, mouse traps, wasp traps, etc.
I'm constantly repairing things that break, like toasters, pencil sharpeners, even the vinyl blinds in my living room got so brittle that they began cracking in half, so I used Scotch tape to hold them together.

I was so used to not having money when I was growing up that I have become excruciatingly cheap. When I come home after spending money in a store I have to lie down for a while until the pain subsides. I was the only one of us kids that inherited this cheapness from our parents. I used to brown-bag my lunch at school everyday and my mom reminded me every morning to bring back the empty bag so I could use it the next day. That was my lunch box. All the other kids had Bonanza or Get Smart lunch boxes, I had Rexall Drugstore.

I save the shavings I get out of the pencil sharpener and sift out all the gray powder. I use it for graphite to loosen up locks, hinges and various other mechanisms. I have a bucket full of old rusty bent nails that I save and when I get bored I sand them down and straighten them out. There must be a dozen mustard and ketchup bottles in my icebox that are almost empty, I will add a little water to them and pour them into two other bottles so I won't have to buy mustard or ketchup for a while.

I'm still trying to think of a use for all those bread crumbs in that tray at the bottom of my toaster.
You must be getting something out if this behavior. Do you have a nice nest egg? And, if you did not do all the things you do to save money, do you think you might have a hobby?

Old 09-26-2019, 03:18 PM

10,019 posts, read 8,621,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
You must be getting something out if this behavior. Do you have a nice nest egg? And, if you did not do all the things you do to save money, do you think you might have a hobby?
I guess you could call them hobbies, I collect stuff, build stuff and sell them.

Old 09-26-2019, 07:56 PM

914 posts, read 642,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post

ding ding ding! We have a winner! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement