U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2019, 10:20 AM

2,800 posts, read 1,057,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I have to question this: Cooling to 65?? That's pretty dang low, for someone trying to conserve.

Then 10 hours at 60??? I doubt my a/c units would even go that low!

I would actually LOVE that, but for conservation, I stay at 75/77 during the day (usually no a/c, just a fan) and the a/c set at 70 for night sleep with a bedroom unit.

That keeps our electric bill about $45. Propane stove...but electric water heater. All our lights are LED.
I think they were talking about heating in that first part, then switched to talking about AC after that. That's how I took it anyway. I decided to do that (65/60) yesterday, and last night myself to save money instead of keeping it at 68 all the time. It got down to the low 30's last night so I added an army blanket for an extra cover, and was nice, and comfy. I just didn't want to get out of bed where it was warm, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2019, 11:41 AM

6,680 posts, read 5,327,351 times
Clean my own house - wah

Old 09-29-2019, 12:39 PM

12,700 posts, read 12,858,112 times
1. Scrounge food out of dumpsters behind restaurants. Pizza parlors are best.

2. Collect cigarettes out of public ashtrays.

3. Pick up returnable cans and bottles along the side of the road.

4. Charge for sex.

5. Have teeth pulled instead of repairing them.

6. Do my own haircuts.

I doubt that anybody here knows anything about being poor, or what poor people do to survive.

Old 09-29-2019, 01:13 PM

6,680 posts, read 5,327,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPeople View Post
Bakery outlets. Bread that is within 2 days of the label in the supermarket goes back to bakery. Perfectly good, same $3.79 bread at the store is as low as a dollar. If you spend $10, you get a few loaves for free. They are literally giving it away. No one wants to throw out the food they made. It's a dollar more than they get before it goes to the food bank.
i got some free hamburger buns with sesame seeds!

Went over to ask a christian ministry a question and they were closing up shop and had lots of bread and patries left over. They forced us to take some! I love sesame seed buns!

Old 09-29-2019, 06:30 PM

4,617 posts, read 2,771,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I have to question this: Cooling to 65?? That's pretty dang low, for someone trying to conserve.

Then 10 hours at 60??? I doubt my a/c units would even go that low!

I would actually LOVE that, but for conservation, I stay at 75/77 during the day (usually no a/c, just a fan) and the a/c set at 70 for night sleep with a bedroom unit.

That keeps our electric bill about $45. Propane stove...but electric water heater. All our lights are LED.
NO, we live in NY, apparently you missed that that is our HEAT settings!
We only turn up HEAT to 65, and down to 60 at night for about 10hours.basically we go to bed about 7 m because my OH gets up at 4am. At about 4 pm we turn off the lights and turn the heat down in order to have dinner at 5 and wind down to sleeping by 7 pm. That is what HEAP helps with. (Home Energy Assistance Program) . We don't get much, but it helps we are at the top of qualifing.

All our lights have been LED since they came out, even when they were expensive, due to savings and due to not blowing out so quickly as the old bulbs. We have one lamp on with a dim LED all the time in the LR, and night light LED s for other rooms, which actually saves a lot.

Ac, well to cool down a room with s and w facing windows from 85 to a cool 70, takes some energy. But as I said only one is on at any time to save energy. We turn on the br ac about a half hour before bedtime. Most of our time we spend in the bonus room.
We hope to have our house double insulated before winter, on the proverbial waiting list. Should save more on both heat and AC.

Yeah, no ac at ,60, no, just no. Heat at 65, yeah.

Old 09-29-2019, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post

4. Charge for sex.

6. Do my own haircuts.

I doubt that anybody here knows anything about being poor, or what poor people do to survive.
EXCUSE ME?

I WAS HOMELESS at one time in my life , in winter in NY. My "home" was literally under a bridge next to the RR TRACKS, quite quiet actually, the only there. The river bank bridges have many homeless, but I did have a water view, a small Creek ran beside the RR tracks.

I volunteered to work at the local food pantry 3 days a week so I could get extra food and not just a bag once a month.

I ate at local churches soup kitchens 4 nights a week, the other 3 I was on my own.i picked up returnable bottles and cans for bus fare to get the 10 miles TO DSS, but didn't usually have enough to get "home" so I had to walk it.

SO YES I DO KNOW HOW POOR PEOPLE LIVE.

Old 09-29-2019, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
I think they were talking about heating in that first part, then switched to talking about AC after that. That's how I took it anyway. I decided to do that (65/60) yesterday, and last night myself to save money instead of keeping it at 68 all the time. It got down to the low 30's last night so I added an army blanket for an extra cover, and was nice, and comfy. I just didn't want to get out of bed where it was warm, lol.
You are correct, I mentioned heat then I switched to actually, I was referring to total energy consumption.

NYSEG (NY State Electric and Gas ) has a monopoly here and all our utilities are on one bill....Nat gas heat, Nat gas hot water, Nat gas cooking, electric lights and ac ( windows,) are all on one bill. We are in NY, I think we are up in the top 3 of high electric costs, behind Hawaii and california.our combined bill from NYSEG is $200/m balance d budget billing ( go ahead and choke!)
And that's with all our savings of energy and with replacement windows.

Old 09-29-2019, 07:05 PM

12,423 posts, read 15,446,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post

4. Charge for sex.

6. Do my own haircuts.

Are you the one who boasted to your friend you earned $200.25 last week and they asked who gave you the quarter? You said "everyone!"

Old 09-29-2019, 09:36 PM

11,429 posts, read 8,696,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Are you the one who boasted to your friend you earned $200.25 last week and they asked who gave you the quarter? You said "everyone!"
That's too funny! I hope to heaven Larry's being factitious!
And Sara... yikes. Dumpster diving is not the safest activity. I was genuinely poor at one time and never even thought about that.

I eat like I can't afford food, mostly. I try not to spend much money day- to- day.

Old 09-29-2019, 09:40 PM

56,226 posts, read 75,377,650 times
Most of the stuff I used to do when I was poor
I relaxed a bit stuff is newer but still Purchased used mostly
Recycle a lot zero debt
Use coupons catch specials all the rich people I know do the same
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement