U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2019, 09:00 PM

851 posts, read 1,889,778 times

Advertisements

We both like high quality, relatively expensive footwear. Unless it’s a new car, we never check the account balance when we write the check. We try to give our kids money and they say they already have enough. We live a simple, relaxed life, so we feel rich. Unfortunately, we do not have a non-relative live-in cook, which I believe is a sure indicator that people are rich.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2019, 09:43 PM

24,767 posts, read 18,460,811 times
I bought a very high end router today. Positive results were immediate. I guess that's a "rich person" thing.

Old 09-29-2019, 02:22 AM

28,515 posts, read 40,487,079 times
$20k a year for travel to Europe. Less for travel here. A few other things.

Old 09-29-2019, 09:07 AM

57,917 posts, read 56,123,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
Me, too. I'm a bit of a tea snob. There are many times when we go out to eat, I will ask for a cup of hot water and use my own tea bag.

Cat
And I'm an even bigger snob. I refuse to get tea at most restaurants BECAUSE you get a cup of "hot" water, which is usually lukewarm.

Tea is supposed to be made with boiling water poured over the tea bag (or loose tea, is that is what's being used).

Many years ago, the Archbishop of Canterbury was visiting NYC and was interviewed in the NY Times, and he was drinking coffee. The interviewer mentioned being surprised that such a notable Brit was drinking coffee and not tea. The Archbishop replied, "I am drinking coffee because in America, the coffee is good, and the tea is not."

I sent off a letter to the Times saying, YES, this is so true. We're here in a city known for cuisines from all over the globe, and yet you can't get a good cup of tea in a restaurant. Have the chefs forgotten how to boil water?

I kind of forgot about it (I used to write letters to newspapers all the time), and then I ran into an acquaintance who said, "Hey, I saw your letter in the Times going off about tea in the city." LOL.

Old 09-29-2019, 09:12 AM

57,917 posts, read 56,123,255 times
My "rich person" thing, which really isn't at all, is that I pay someone now to cut and color my hair. I started going gray in my 20s, and by my 30s I had to color it regularly. Annoyingly enough, it is still a mix of mouse brown and elephant gray, which looks horrible, so I still want to color it. If it would just go all gray or all white, I might not bother

Anyway, I spent a lot of years in as a divorced mom who got stuck with all the debt from the marriage and only occasional child support, and I couldn't afford to spring for the luxury of having my hair done, so for about 20 years I just cut and colored my own hair. I got my kid through college, made a little more money near the end of my work life, and got myself out of debt working part-time after retirement, and now I allow myself that luxury to get my hair professionally done.

Old 09-29-2019, 12:36 PM

4,933 posts, read 3,338,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
And I'm an even bigger snob. I refuse to get tea at most restaurants BECAUSE you get a cup of "hot" water, which is usually lukewarm.

Tea is supposed to be made with boiling water poured over the tea bag (or loose tea, is that is what's being used).

Many years ago, the Archbishop of Canterbury was visiting NYC and was interviewed in the NY Times, and he was drinking coffee. The interviewer mentioned being surprised that such a notable Brit was drinking coffee and not tea. The Archbishop replied, "I am drinking coffee because in America, the coffee is good, and the tea is not."

I sent off a letter to the Times saying, YES, this is so true. We're here in a city known for cuisines from all over the globe, and yet you can't get a good cup of tea in a restaurant. Have the chefs forgotten how to boil water?

I kind of forgot about it (I used to write letters to newspapers all the time), and then I ran into an acquaintance who said, "Hey, I saw your letter in the Times going off about tea in the city." LOL.

Personally, I don't like boiling water. It is TOO hot for me to drink. But, I do agree that the bag should go in first and the water poured over it. But, I leave the tea bag in because I do like it STRONG. I have some friends from England that they cringe at the way I drink tea. They also think Lipton is the WORST tea ever! I used to drink Lipton but now I only drink Twinings.

Cat

Old 09-29-2019, 12:42 PM

4,933 posts, read 3,338,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My "rich person" thing, which really isn't at all, is that I pay someone now to cut and color my hair. I started going gray in my 20s, and by my 30s I had to color it regularly. Annoyingly enough, it is still a mix of mouse brown and elephant gray, which looks horrible, so I still want to color it. If it would just go all gray or all white, I might not bother

Anyway, I spent a lot of years in as a divorced mom who got stuck with all the debt from the marriage and only occasional child support, and I couldn't afford to spring for the luxury of having my hair done, so for about 20 years I just cut and colored my own hair. I got my kid through college, made a little more money near the end of my work life, and got myself out of debt working part-time after retirement, and now I allow myself that luxury to get my hair professionally done.

I got you beat. I started going gray when I was 15! I started coloring it at the age of 19. And I did it myself for the longest time. I think I was in my 40s when I was able to afford someone to do it for me-which I do now every 5 weeks. Unfortunately, my hair person is selling her shop and will be getting out of the business so now I am going to have to break in someone new and I might have to go further away (her shop is just around the corner from me-I can walk).

Cat

Old 09-30-2019, 12:03 AM

598 posts, read 100,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
Because many times (not all) they will over-extend themselves. They buy expensive homes, cars, etc.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/wh...lls-2018-12-20

Cat
That is those that earn a lot and spend it all - not the same as being Rich. Rich means having a lot of wealth /money.

Those that earn a lot but have no money are not rich, those that earn little but have a lot of money are rich.

Old 09-30-2019, 12:55 AM

62 posts, read 23,914 times
The only "rich person" thing I do...is stay at a somewhat spendy hotel in Key West every year or two for 3-4 nights.

I love Key West...my sister lives in Fort Myers so when I go visit her I head down to Key West and stay there for a few days.

Last bill was $2400 for 3 nights. I could probably find a cheaper place but I love the hotel I have stayed at the last few times down there....so I keep indulging.

I'm not rich by any means but that bill every year doesn't hurt too much.

Old 10-03-2019, 09:02 PM

5,854 posts, read 3,133,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
You would only say I was overly sensitive if you knew you were trying to insult posters here with your remark. I'd say the same about you having to jump on a thread whose topic was going to be pretty obvious with the title it is calling people braggarts. Nope, not mixing up posters.
And you would be wrong in jumping to that conclusion.

You also obviously do not know what the words “some people” means. Hint: It does not mean all people who posted.

Go on...keep trying to twist my post into something other than what it said. You know you’re dying to pick a fight over your perception of an insult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or