U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2019, 03:24 PM

6,250 posts, read 1,625,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
At the beginning of the year, we owned 3 houses & a boat. We sold 2 of the houses & the boat.

-I have a house cleaner who comes once a week.
-I do have a weekly massage-I really don't think of it as an indulgence. It is pain management.
-We go to the tropics every winter.
-I don't worry about money.

Unlike many rich people, we are not in debt up to our eyeballs
. We only owe on our car and we probably could pay that off, too.

Cat
Why would rich people be in debt up to their eyeballs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2019, 03:34 PM

6,250 posts, read 1,625,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I believe it! I've told this story before, but my ex-husband, who did windows and home improvements on his own for a while, was doing some work on a house in a town where you were required to have 2 acres minimum to build and most houses were in the millions. This house had a three-car garage, and a snow-melt system under the driveway, and all those sorts of amenities that the average working person's home doesn't have.

When the homeowner got home each day fairly early in the afternoon, he was very interested in what my husband was doing and would watch him work and ask questions, very down-to-earth guy, and my husband noted that this guy was dressed just like he was--jeans, flannel shirt, work boots.

He got comfortable enough with the guy that he finally asked him one day what he did.

The man had a rat-killing business, and he had accounts in the warehouses on the Jersey docks. "Shipping companies pay a lot of money to get rid of rats", he said. I guess so! Killing rats had made him a multi-millionaire.
So wait. Are you saying all rich people AREN'T bad?

Old 09-23-2019, 03:42 PM

597 posts, read 102,664 times
A few of my relatives are probably in the 1%, but other than a few items, you would never know that they were not middle class. Most of the "rich" trappings such as planes and yachts were company assets and went with the businesses when they sold them.

Old 09-23-2019, 04:21 PM

5,866 posts, read 4,341,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
You know, this thread was bound to turn partly into a bragfest.

Where I grew up, the really rich people did not brag, and you couldnít tell by the cars they drove.
Well based on the title what did you expect. Of course you had to jump in just to put down others that posted. Maybe they didn't brag to you because you weren't in their inner circle

Old 09-23-2019, 04:25 PM

5,852 posts, read 4,641,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
I always said, if I won the lottery, I would hire a driver to take me anywhere I wanted to go. This past spring, I decided to splurge for once, so I hired a driver to pick me up at my house and drive me the three hours to my sister's house, pick me up a few days later, and deliver me back home. It felt like a real luxury to me, and I loved not having to watch for exits or worry about traffic delays or weather.
How much did it cost?

Old 09-23-2019, 05:58 PM

5,854 posts, read 3,133,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Well based on the title what did you expect. Of course you had to jump in just to put down others that posted. Maybe they didn't brag to you because you weren't in their inner circle
Overly sensitive much?

I did not put down rich people in any of my posts. You must be mixing up posters.

Old 09-23-2019, 06:04 PM

5,854 posts, read 3,133,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Itís not the number of posts, but robots start the thread and never come back to add anything anymore. There are people with fewer posts than 25 but are not a robot. I Identified a pattern so thatís how I know. They all became a not member after I report them. So I was correct.
I saw the earlier pattern but missed this latest round of Rich and Poor threads being part of the new bot schedule.

I do believe there is at least one other thread by the same bot but under a different handle. I notified a mod about that one.

Old 09-23-2019, 06:27 PM

1,199 posts, read 484,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I don't. Both legs at once, sitting on the edge of the bed.

We spend 3 months a year in Europe and live oceanfront. And have 100% health coverage. And a maid.

On "poverty" level income, LOL. That part is my brag.
That only makes you fancy.

Cheers to you!

Old 09-23-2019, 06:40 PM

5,167 posts, read 2,013,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Did the plane refuel in mid-air or did you land a few times on this trip ?
Around the world is around the world, no matter how long it takes. I'm actually two days older than I think, because I've crossed the Date Line weat-bound three times, and east-bound only once.

Old 09-23-2019, 06:44 PM

2,058 posts, read 1,581,892 times
$6.39 per pound hamburger. No cheap stuff for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or