U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 09:34 AM

4,823 posts, read 4,962,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
After 30 – 40 years you are more American and also most likely a U.S. citizen. Your native country would be the U.S. and you would have little in common with your place of birth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I am inclined to think the above would be the case. I am an American who has lived for twenty years in Europe and I cannot imagine willingly returning to the U.S. I have had visits from U.S. friends over the past couple of years, and I was surprised at how so little of the way they live their lives had any resonance with me.

This is so true. My wife is from Korea and we spent our entire marriage not returning once we left back in 1982. We just spent 6 weeks living in Korea this past summer. Things have changed and yet similar but she felt a foreigner because even common language words have changed. Expressions of speech change let alone even the quality of life changes made us wonder.

My wife and I have considered living abroad. We considered many of the more common ones but actually thinking on it a lot. We did a lot of searching on line and even took a trip to Ecuador with being an expat in mind. What we decided was that it was just as easy for us to use most countries visa requirements. Like in Korea you are allowed to stay visa for up to 90 days. We are considering picking location central to a zone we plan to explore and use that as a home base. Like Berlin or Frankfort Germany to do Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2019, 09:48 AM

14,293 posts, read 6,884,357 times
Even London is changing for my husband, still English speaking. It has changed for me since I’ve first met him. Not quite a foreign country, but not quite the same either.

Old 09-27-2019, 09:52 AM

4,013 posts, read 1,746,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I considered Ecuador at one time but in the end I didn't want to live there by myself as a 60 year old woman with previous cancer issues.
We have people with health issues here. One old dude is on dialysis and gets totally covered treatments 3 times a week with transportation. He pays no extras.

There is a handicapped woman here too. She's on 2 canes and hires a taxi to take her shopping.

But you'd have more peace of mind in the U.S. I'm guessing. I admit to being surprised almost no one in the hospitals spoke any English. We bring a translator along.

Don't come here for food ---it's awful, LOL. (plantains and white rice, anyone?) But we save a lot on no restaurants!

Old 09-28-2019, 08:26 PM

4,776 posts, read 10,460,610 times
https://apple.news/A0Vcf7t0yQcCsP_TlQv5nHg

Boy this would be terrible. I couldn’t even imagine waking up and everything you saved for is gone.

Old 09-28-2019, 09:05 PM

1,184 posts, read 477,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
https://apple.news/A0Vcf7t0yQcCsP_TlQv5nHg

Boy this would be terrible. I couldn’t even imagine waking up and everything you saved for is gone.
Those retirees were silly for not monitoring their accounts more closely. There were plenty of red flags. At the end of the day, I’m betting they’ll be made whole again although it’ll take time. I wouldn’t put all my eggs in one account ever - especially in another country.

Old 10-03-2019, 07:34 AM

1,275 posts, read 407,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
Those retirees were silly for not monitoring their accounts more closely. There were plenty of red flags.
American banks have offices across the world. Citibank has over 1,800 branches overseas and you get FDIC assurances.

Old 10-03-2019, 08:44 AM

545 posts, read 465,277 times
There are a lot of scams, particularly involving the elderly. To give access to your bank account to anyone, even a bank employee and not monitor the account independently is asking for trouble. So are a lot of other things. And, while there may be some Mexico/bank specific factors involved here, there are plenty of such scams in the US. And, like YorktownGal says, you can bank with a US bank if you'd like.

Old 10-03-2019, 08:49 AM

4,013 posts, read 1,746,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
Those retirees were silly for not monitoring their accounts more closely. There were plenty of red flags. At the end of the day, I’m betting they’ll be made whole again although it’ll take time. I wouldn’t put all my eggs in one account ever - especially in another country.
Hoo boy. We only keep a local bank account with a few hundred in it, strictly for health insurance automatic deductions.

No way would I keep any significant amount of money in a non-U.S. bank. Even if CDs here pay 9% and some retirees do it.

No thanks.

Old 10-03-2019, 10:45 PM

3,355 posts, read 2,349,724 times
The friend who retired in Ecuador posted on facebook they are considering moving back to the US now after today's civil un-rest. They haven't made a decision yet considering it. They might be looked at as Wealthy Americans who have no problem paying the new much higher fuel cost.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-49

Old 10-04-2019, 02:18 PM

22,233 posts, read 14,722,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
The friend who retired in Ecuador posted on facebook they are considering moving back to the US now after today's civil un-rest. They haven't made a decision yet considering it. They might be looked at as Wealthy Americans who have no problem paying the new much higher fuel cost.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-49
404 - Page Not Found
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or