U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2019, 06:26 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
23,161 posts, read 40,684,513 times

Advertisements

You will find the majority of C-D posters contrary to the idea of international living / retirement. Largely due to demographic of C-D retirement forum. They will squash the thread and diss anyone with positive comments / experience (heaven forbid something other than a 'cookie cutter USA 'retirement' dream / nightmare) Venture to say 95% of the naysayers have never lived overseas, and would never consider it (but 'post-about-it' ) Some here have tried it and decided it was not for them (expected since it is a different culture which does NOT cater to USA people or ideas).

Many of us PREFER international places so there are fewer 'Americans!'
Some have no choice to be able to stay in USA (Healthcare Needs) https://patientsbeyondborders.com/

There are a lot of great destinations (all with issues, as is USA)

https://www.expat.com/
https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-a7562266.html

I have lived in Asia and Canada and Western Europe (during career)

Retirement will likely be Asia, western Europe or SA. (rules / costs apply) Each have unique challenges. A free deserted village in NW Spain seems to fit best! (my senior village !) Too Bad NZ doesn't want / allow us. I would like a Menz Shed in my community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2019, 06:44 PM

22,109 posts, read 14,665,682 times
I retire in three years and am considering Thailand, where I know I can afford to live fairly well on my modest pension and savings, and also because I love to teach ESL and could fid a job there doing just that.

Old 09-23-2019, 06:58 PM

6,645 posts, read 5,301,867 times
I spent a couple of years in Sicily and loved it. I told my roommate - lets move over there. He was agreeable. I checked out what we needed to do. We would have probably been given the okay, but never did it - sad.

Now i dream of living in Mexico. The rustic small town of my ancestors up in the hills. I do plan on at least visiting.

Old 09-23-2019, 07:09 PM

3,116 posts, read 1,115,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I spent a couple of years in Sicily and loved it. I told my roommate - lets move over there. He was agreeable. I checked out what we needed to do. We would have probably been given the okay, but never did it - sad.

Now i dream of living in Mexico. The rustic small town of my ancestors up in the hills. I do plan on at least visiting.
You should definitely visit at least. I had the opportunity this past summer of visiting the small hometowns of my grandparents from northern Spain. It was wonderful and the people were amazing in their welcome plus the stories I got to hear from relatives and people in the towns which remembered my family. Truly a treasure that I will never forget.

Old 09-23-2019, 07:38 PM

2,665 posts, read 5,416,808 times
No, have not considered it.

(Low cost options) I don't NEED to for a reasonable standard of living.

(High cost options) I can't afford and/or I am unlikely to meet the requirements for residence.

I don't consider it foolish, unsafe, or unimaginable because the eeuw ess of A is so great. It's just not for me.

Old 09-23-2019, 07:40 PM

678 posts, read 289,752 times
We are unlikely to move abroad permanently, but do have plans (more like dreams) to travel for months at a time. We are looking at southern France and Spain. One concern we have is being away from family.

Old 09-23-2019, 08:57 PM

132 posts, read 28,589 times
Some great information, thank you! I have about 10 years before we retire. We like to travel, so we are making a list of places that are good possibilities, and we're going to try and take some vacations there. I know it's not quite the same thing, but it would at least give us some ideas that would shortrn the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
You will find the majority of C-D posters contrary to the idea of international living / retirement. Largely due to demographic of C-D retirement forum. They will squash the thread and diss anyone with positive comments / experience (heaven forbid something other than a 'cookie cutter USA 'retirement' dream / nightmare) Venture to say 95% of the naysayers have never lived overseas, and would never consider it (but 'post-about-it' ) Some here have tried it and decided it was not for them (expected since it is a different culture which does NOT cater to USA people or ideas).

Many of us PREFER international places so there are fewer 'Americans!'
Some have no choice to be able to stay in USA (Healthcare Needs) https://patientsbeyondborders.com/

There are a lot of great destinations (all with issues, as is USA)

https://www.expat.com/
https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-a7562266.html

I have lived in Asia and Canada and Western Europe (during career)

Retirement will likely be Asia, western Europe or SA. (rules / costs apply) Each have unique challenges. A free deserted village in NW Spain seems to fit best! (my senior village !) Too Bad NZ doesn't want / allow us. I would like a Menz Shed in my community.

Old 09-23-2019, 09:12 PM

7,902 posts, read 3,360,628 times
No. I worked most of my career to get to this state and I'm staying put! I want to stay involved with the institutions/issues here. The lure of cheap living wasn't enough to tease me overseas. I hate heat, year round sun, and have no interest parking myself in a so-called "resort lifestyle" with a bunch of other retirees.

Old 09-23-2019, 09:50 PM

2,784 posts, read 6,754,728 times
I've only fantasized about it. Think Scotland or parts of Canada would be my ideal place to live in retirement. I know that my wife wouldn't like it, so I keep it at fantasy level.

Old 09-23-2019, 11:29 PM

2,571 posts, read 7,871,359 times
I've been in Germany for the past 5 months. I got a non-working residence permit with no problem for 2 years, but I will probably return to the US pretty soon. I like it here during the warm weather months, but the long grey winter would keep me indoors a lot. I can always come back next year again for a long stay. I rent a furnished, fully set up apartment on a monthly basis, and the cost of living is lower than almost any large city in the US. All I have here of my own stuff is one suitcase of clothes, a knapsack and my bicycle for transportation and touring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or