U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2019, 11:08 PM

13,990 posts, read 10,044,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Boquete, Panama. Fairly large expatriate community. Great bakery ("Sugar and Spice"). A minimal retirement pension goes a long way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlwXNSUFVW0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS9jd3REekU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2019, 04:04 AM

7,152 posts, read 3,585,332 times
Quote:
Technically, if one has a foreign domicile, that voids U.S. citizenship. In fact, in the States, all U.S. citizens can only "reside" in a state. If they were domiciled as free inhabitants, they'd cease being U.S. citizens and only be American nationals.
That's a load of baloney! Unless you renounce (and that's neither an easy nor cheap route), you are a US citizen, allowed to vote in US elections from your foreign country. You can even have dual citizenship and still be a US citizen.

I do not understand why posters post crap they know nothing about. Makes all of their posts suspect.

Old 09-26-2019, 05:37 AM

14,644 posts, read 7,904,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
That's a load of baloney! Unless you renounce (and that's neither an easy nor cheap route), you are a US citizen, allowed to vote in US elections from your foreign country. You can even have dual citizenship and still be a US citizen.

I do not understand why posters post crap they know nothing about. Makes all of their posts suspect.

My sister would love to know that. She's lived in Vancouver since the 1980s as a dual citizen and accrued significant wealth. To renounce her US citizenship would cost her easily $1 million to the IRS on wealth and income that is 100% Canadian where she paid Canadian taxes.

Old 09-26-2019, 06:38 AM

14,644 posts, read 7,904,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
That was my question. The 1st world English-speaking countries generally don't want retirees unless you are a millionaire. Even Spain and Greece don't want you on their health plans as a retiree. You have to come with your own plan. They require about $2,500 monthly income minimum.

Ecuador had the easiest requirements of all. Only $800 in provable income monthly or a $25K investment. You can join their national health plan for $80 per month per couple. We've both used it, it's just fine. No co-pays or deductibles.

Nor have we "gone native" LOL. We're in a beach condo with other retirees. Barely speak any Spanish, either.

For our income, we have a vastly superior quality of life here, compared to how we'd have to live in the U.S.

Given the price of flights, it looks like you can fly to the US on short notice for medical care without it breaking the bank. I could be on tonight's overnight flight from Guayaquil to FLL on Sprit for $317. 1-way to Boston where I could be at Mass General tomorrow is less than $500. Not knowing anything about Ecuador, I assumed it was oppressive Miami 95F/95% humidity summer weather much of the time unless you're high elevation like Quito. Given the prices and ownership cost of condos, it looks like a beach resort town like Salinas could be a good snowbird destination. I guess I'll have to improve my 300 word Spanish survival vocabulary. I usually use the French words when I get stuck and I'm understood.

Old 09-26-2019, 07:39 AM

1,893 posts, read 1,412,535 times
Quote:
Technically, if one has a foreign domicile, that voids U.S. citizenship. In fact, in the States, all U.S. citizens can only "reside" in a state. If they were domiciled as free inhabitants, they'd cease being U.S. citizens and only be American nationals.
That is not true .

Old 09-26-2019, 08:52 AM

6,463 posts, read 7,154,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Slightly off-topic, but I can't help wondering: aren't any regulars on this Forum foreign-born? Anyone?

Here's the question. Suppose that somebody is say Chinese, or Filipino, or Bulgarian or whatever... born and raised there, then arriving in the US as a student, and staying here via F-1... HB-1... Green Card... Naturalization. 30-40 years pass, and retirement beckons. Then what? Remain in the US, or return to one's "native" country? To me that seems like a pressing and fundamental topic. But it never (to my awareness) gets discussed.
I can answer regarding my parents and my in-laws.

Parents came from Malaysia to attend undergrad. Naturalized after my birth, which required them to renounce Malaysian citizenship. They are retired and 70+ now so they have lived in the US for nearly 3/4ths of their life. Even though we have lots and lots of family in Malaysia/Asia, they have zero interest in returning to Asia and are pretty happy just staying put in Jacksonville, FL. They have a nice retirement income so that finances are not a concern. That said, if I move to Asia in a few years as planned, they will most likely come along, at least for large portions of the year.

My in-laws came to Miami from Macao about 25 years ago. Naturalized soon after. They retired relatively young and currently just late 50s/early 60s. They split their time 50/50 between Miami and China where they still maintain PR status. I know that a large reason why they are in China so frequently is because of my FIL's mother who remains there, and from my understanding they eventually plan to settle in Miami full-time where the majority of both their families live.

For me personally, this is a long long way off, but I imagine that I will spend my time split between traveling the world and being near my kids, wherever they end up. I have never "lived" overseas but if you add up all my travels I have spent about a year in Malaysia, half a year in China and several months in Austria, so I do feel comfortable overseas. Of course, my wife grew up in Macao and as I mentioned we plan to move to Asia soon, so I hope to get a taste of what it's like to settle down over there. This should serve to inform us better when we are of retirement age.

As it stands now I would be very interested in Portugal and Spain in Europe, Malaysia and Taiwan in Asia, and Panama and Peru in SA. But really I'd expect it to be entirely fluid based on how the next couple decades play out.

Old 09-26-2019, 10:44 AM

3,975 posts, read 1,734,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I like Spain a lot. Maybe LTC there is cheaper. Might as well go where food is delicious.
We would have preferred Spain. But when I looked into health insurance, it was over $250 per person, which I know sounds cheap to you-all, but too much for us. You have to have your own U.S. insurance and that was the cheapest I found.

Plus, I doubt we could afford a beachfront place there.

I bet the LTC is way cheaper. Here, it doesn't exist!

And oh yes, on the food. We'll be in Spain this winter and I can't wait to have some decent food!

Old 09-26-2019, 10:50 AM

3,975 posts, read 1,734,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Given the price of flights, it looks like you can fly to the US on short notice for medical care without it breaking the bank. I could be on tonight's overnight flight from Guayaquil to FLL on Sprit for $317. 1-way to Boston where I could be at Mass General tomorrow is less than $500. Not knowing anything about Ecuador, I assumed it was oppressive Miami 95F/95% humidity summer weather much of the time unless you're high elevation like Quito. Given the prices and ownership cost of condos, it looks like a beach resort town like Salinas could be a good snowbird destination. I guess I'll have to improve my 300 word Spanish survival vocabulary. I usually use the French words when I get stuck and I'm understood.
Yes, I have a constant side-bar telling me about flights from Guayaquil to FLL for $250 RT.

But we don't need to leave here for health care. It is just fine here. A friend just had her hip replaced way up in the Andes. Didn't have to go to a major city or anything.

If we go to FLL, it's for a cruise ship or shopping.

Weather is great here---75 degrees most of the year, with 80s in the "winter" when there is humidity. Rest of the year, humidity is not noticeable.

It's overcast a lot, but I don't mind that.

Salinas is nice, but more crowded and costlier.

Old 09-26-2019, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchessCottonPuff View Post
That is not true .
Since you did not provide any facts in rebuttal, beyond your opinion, it's insufficient.

Do states know the difference between an inhabitant and a resident?
" No inhabitant of this state shall be molested in person or property ... on account of religious opinions..."
- - - Georgia Constitution, Article 1, Sec.1, Paragraph 4

Citizens, protection of. All citizens of the United States, resident in this state, are hereby declared citizens of this state ; and it shall be the duty of the General Assembly to enact such laws as will protect them in the full enjoyment of the rights, privileges, and immunities due to such citizenship.
- - - Georgia Constitution, Article 1, Sec.3, Paragraph 7
Uh OH! U.S. citizens can only be RESIDENTS in the state. So who are those "inhabitants" who shall not be molested?
(In case you decide to establish a domicile in a state, you become 'foreign' to the U.S. government and its U.S. citizenship. Remember, the U.S. government is a foreign corporation with respect to a state. U.S. citizens are 'domiciled' in Federal territory.)

In the 1993 edition of the 1992 US Code (50 titles), I found only ONE reference to American nationals.
Title 8, USC Sec. 1502. Certificate of nationality issued by the Secretary of State for person not a naturalized citizen of the United States for use in proceedings of a foreign state.

The Secretary of State is authorized to issue, in his discretion and in accordance with rules and regulations prescribed by him, a certificate of nationality for any person not a naturalized citizen of the United States who presents satisfactory evidence that he is an American national and that such certificate is needed for use in judicial or administrative proceedings in a foreign state. Such certificate shall be solely for the use in the case for which it was issued and shall be transmitted by the Secretary of State through appropriate channels to the judicial or administrative officers of the foreign state in which it is to be used.
That is ALL that the Federal government will say about American nationals.
(An American national is NOT synonymous with a U.S. national, as defined in Title 8 of the U.S. code.)

P.S.- the State department will graciously issue passports for non-citizen American nationals.

Old 09-26-2019, 11:54 AM

You can check out Sugar and Spice, in Boquete, Panama on FB.

https://www.facebook.com/sugarandspiceboquete/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or