Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2019, 01:46 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
You will find the majority of C-D posters contrary to the idea of international living / retirement. Largely due to demographic of C-D retirement forum. They will squash the thread and diss anyone with positive comments / experience (heaven forbid something other than a 'cookie cutter USA 'retirement' dream / nightmare) Venture to say 95% of the naysayers have never lived overseas, and would never consider it (but 'post-about-it' ) Some here have tried it and decided it was not for them (expected since it is a different culture which does NOT cater to USA people or ideas).
Squash the thread?

Why do you keep posting this ridiculous nonsense in Every. Single. Thread., Every. Single. Time. international retirement is brought up? It is not true now and never has been true. (At least during the 10+ years that I've been participating here.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2019, 01:49 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandmaChris View Post
Funny you say that. I moved to Texas in 1987 at the age of 22 when I was with the USAF - prior to that CA for first 8 years - then Michigan until 19 was stationed in Japan for 3 years - Left Texas at 47 for DH transfer to CA - then spent 3 1/2 years in AZ. Texas got in my blood - all four of my children were born in Del Rio, Texas - DH got to Texas a year after I did - so respectively 24 years for me and 23 years for me - Most of my maturing years - We both want to retire in Texas - Actually - hopefully very soon we will purchase our retirement home as an investment - I retire in 7 years.

So to the OP - NOPE - never in my wildest dreams would I retire overseas somewhere.
Lots of Air Force people end up staying here in Texas.

So you were at Laughlin. It might be kind of empty out there, but it is an interesting empty. I love those big open places.

I would love to move to south padre island. Love the sound of the surf.

Old 09-25-2019, 02:16 PM

2,340 posts, read 611,959 times
^^^^ Yes, I was at Laughlin AFB Hospital for 5 years - and I'm not surprised that losts of USAF retire in TX. I loved our view off the back porch - lightening storms over Lake Amistad and the sun setting behind the Sleeping Lady mountains in Mexico.

Old 09-25-2019, 03:06 PM

13,643 posts, read 9,698,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josie13 View Post
One parent was Irish, the other Canadian. That’s why I carry three passports. I prefer to keep my options open in these troubled times. I live not far from the border of British Columbia.
Slightly off-topic, but I can't help wondering: aren't any regulars on this Forum foreign-born? Anyone?

Here's the question. Suppose that somebody is say Chinese, or Filipino, or Bulgarian or whatever... born and raised there, then arriving in the US as a student, and staying here via F-1... HB-1... Green Card... Naturalization. 30-40 years pass, and retirement beckons. Then what? Remain in the US, or return to one's "native" country? To me that seems like a pressing and fundamental topic. But it never (to my awareness) gets discussed.

Old 09-25-2019, 03:14 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,656,817 times
I thought about Bavaria, Switzerland, Austria and even California, but my wife is from Texas so I’m stuck here.

Old 09-25-2019, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Slightly off-topic, but I can't help wondering: aren't any regulars on this Forum foreign-born? Anyone?

Here's the question. Suppose that somebody is say Chinese, or Filipino, or Bulgarian or whatever... born and raised there, then arriving in the US as a student, and staying here via F-1... HB-1... Green Card... Naturalization. 30-40 years pass, and retirement beckons. Then what? Remain in the US, or return to one's "native" country? To me that seems like a pressing and fundamental topic. But it never (to my awareness) gets discussed.
After 30 – 40 years you are more American and also most likely a U.S. citizen. Your native country would be the U.S. and you would have little in common with your place of birth.

Old 09-25-2019, 03:24 PM

3,930 posts, read 2,096,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
After 30 – 40 years you are more American and also most likely a U.S. citizen. Your native country would be the U.S. and you would have little in common with your place of birth.
Exactly.

Old 09-25-2019, 03:25 PM

7,407 posts, read 6,537,276 times
Yes...I said if a certain person were elected I would leave the country and followed through on my threat by moving to Miami

I could consider living in Spain or Rio de Janeiro.

Old 09-25-2019, 03:35 PM

13,643 posts, read 9,698,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
But I wonder about that. To give a less specialized example, suppose that a person born and raised in NYC majored in petroleum engineering, ending up working in rural Texas. This person never culturally fit in, but abided the new environment from career-considerations, and desire to avoid antagonizing the locals. Decades pass, and the retirement portfolio has done OK. Should our hero move back to Brooklyn?

Back to my specific scenario, it is entirely possible to be politically integrated but not culturally integrated. One reason that certain cultures or parts of America get so vehemently bashed on C-D, is the presumption, that the various ethnic groups haven't sufficiently integrated. Rather than joining the melting-pot, they've remained cocooned in a transplanted facsimile of their "native" environment. Without endorsing or condemning this trend, I ask: what should a person, who does practice this sort of behavior, seriously consider doing in retirement? If one's cultural, emotional and to large extent social affinities are elsewhere, ought one to follow said affinities, now that the financial freedom enables doing so?

Old 09-25-2019, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
But I wonder about that. To give a less specialized example, suppose that a person born and raised in NYC majored in petroleum engineering, ending up working in rural Texas. This person never culturally fit in, but abided the new environment from career-considerations, and desire to avoid antagonizing the locals. Decades pass, and the retirement portfolio has done OK. Should our hero move back to Brooklyn?

Back to my specific scenario, it is entirely possible to be politically integrated but not culturally integrated. One reason that certain cultures or parts of America get so vehemently bashed on C-D, is the presumption, that the various ethnic groups haven't sufficiently integrated. Rather than joining the melting-pot, they've remained cocooned in a transplanted facsimile of their "native" environment. Without endorsing or condemning this trend, I ask: what should a person, who does practice this sort of behavior, seriously consider doing in retirement? If one's cultural, emotional and to large extent social affinities are elsewhere, ought one to follow said affinities, now that the financial freedom enables doing so?
I will not argue that, if a person after 30 or 40 years is still practicing his native believes and feels they would be more content in the pace of birth, by all means, consider relocating.

I also believe in the saying that you can’t go home again. After 40 years away, everything you remembered about the homeland will have changed and you would feel lost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement