Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2019, 04:04 PM

15,963 posts, read 7,024,232 times

Advertisements

Our two adult children live on the opposite coasts from us. When we visit we stay with them and I love being with my grand children and be a family. I cook their favorite food, go out and relax.

Those of you who have children living a plane ride away, how often do you visit them? How long do you stay and what do you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2019, 04:23 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,315,336 times
I like to stay just a few days and leave while still wanted, like fish. I fly there twice a year or more when a pregnancy requires but basically twice and they come here once. The visits are good although too brief and leave us wanting more.

They have their worlds and I have mine so best to just lite in and taste the sweetness, then return to regular life.

Old 12-08-2019, 05:05 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,664,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
I like to stay just a few days and leave while still wanted, like fish. I fly there twice a year or more when a pregnancy requires but basically twice and they come here once. The visits are good although too brief and leave us wanting more.

They have their worlds and I have mine so best to just lite in and taste the sweetness, then return to regular life.

I think this is the perfect answer!

Old 12-08-2019, 05:09 PM

7,097 posts, read 4,531,425 times
I stay 4 days. It’s fun and they don’t get sick of us.

Old 12-08-2019, 05:16 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
[SPOI[/SPOILER

Ditto 4 days is almost more than I can bear my nephew is 36 going on 11 I keep waiting for him to grow up and get a job
Not his plan

Old 12-08-2019, 05:19 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Our two adult children live on the opposite coasts from us. When we visit we stay with them and I love being with my grand children and be a family. I cook their favorite food, go out and relax.

Those of you who have children living a plane ride away, how often do you visit them? How long do you stay and what do you do?
My son is a 5 hour drive away, he is single. I go (drive) to see him maybe once a year; I am not retired. He comes home maybe 2 - 3 times a year. He loves when I come - we go hiking and cook dinner, and work out at his gym, and sometimes see a movie. Lots of fun. I usually stay 2 or 3 days - I'm not retired so I try to go on long weekends. Plus he travels a lot for work so weekends are the only time he is home.

After I retire I will definitely visit him more often.

Old 12-08-2019, 05:33 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,758,356 times
My husband and I stay at nearby hotel when we visit our daughter in the Bay Area. No way, am I going to stay at her apartment.

Old 12-08-2019, 05:34 PM

15,963 posts, read 7,024,232 times
Those of you who stay in a hotel while you visit your adult children a plane ride away, what do you do? For my DH. And I getting up in the morning, seeing the kids, fixing breakfast for them, driving the. To school or picking up groceries , going out for dinner, for walks. - these are the things we enjoy. I feel if we stayed in a hotel what will we do? See them a fora while and then go our ways?

Old 12-08-2019, 05:44 PM

8,271 posts, read 8,652,996 times
Quote:
Those of you who stay in a hotel while you visit your adult children a plane ride away, what do you do? For my DH. And I getting up in the morning, seeing the kids, fixing breakfast for them, driving the. To school or picking up groceries , going out for dinner, for walks. - these are the things we enjoy. I feel if we stayed in a hotel what will we do? See them a fora while and then go our ways?
You sleep apart. You still go over there. You still go out to dinner. But you leave at a reasonable hour. I don't think anyone wants to entertain all day. You may be doing things but it may not be the way they do them. And they are entertaining you even if you think they aren't. Their routine is different when you are there.

Old 12-08-2019, 05:57 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
I have stayed at his place only when he had room. He just moved into a new place (he shares with 2 others) and I don't know these roommates well enough (the others I did) to stay, so I stayed in a hotel. We got together for breakfast, and really were together the rest of the day, until I went back to the hotel at the end of the night. No grandkids to worry about - just me and him. Easy peasy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement