U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2019, 07:36 AM

6,578 posts, read 4,943,970 times

Advertisements

Some people seem to have a sense of entitlement which I never enjoyed while working. I had pretty decent jobs and several of them turned seriously sour. I never had the option to up and quit just because I did not like the conditions or company policies, or my boss, or whatever. I had to suck it up, go to work and start a job search. That was also true of my last few years of work. I was boxed in, underpaid, and just impatient to leave. Rather than look for a new job a few years before wanting to retire, I kept working. I changed my attitude rather than the job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2019, 07:39 AM

509 posts, read 1,004,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chud View Post
What did you do for medical insurance?
In my particular case ( I retired even earlier) I had to take 'Obamacare'... Was not too bad back in 2014, but rapidly became a costly mess. Premiums went way up, co-pays/out of pocket went way up, choices went down. I have to keep a very close eye on income, to keep any bit of the subsidy from going away. It is my #1 concern in retirement, and it is absolutely shameful, as is the whole US healthcare scam.

Old 09-26-2019, 07:40 AM

8,062 posts, read 4,589,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Some people seem to have a sense of entitlement which I never enjoyed while working. I had pretty decent jobs and several of them turned seriously sour. I never had the option to up and quit just because I did not like the conditions or company policies, or my boss, or whatever. I had to suck it up, go to work and start a job search. That was also true of my last few years of work. I was boxed in, underpaid, and just impatient to leave. Rather than look for a new job a few years before wanting to retire, I kept working. I changed my attitude rather than the job.
Interesting perspective and another option. Can you expound on what you perceive as "a sense of entitlement"? On whose part?

Old 09-26-2019, 08:13 AM

9,066 posts, read 11,073,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I haven't read the whole thread- I'm on a trip to Chicago with my 5-year old granddaughter and that keeps me busy, but..

One Friday morning I was in a meeting in which my boss pretty much threw me under the bus- I was being raked over the coals for not making enhancements to a project that he and I had agreed could wait till the next quarter. He said nothing. I kick myself now for not publicly confronting him but I was socialized to be "nice". There had been problems leading up to this (having a hard time getting into meetings covering the project, not being kept updated, etc.). I called DH and said, I think I'm going to quit my job on Monday". We talked about it over the weekend. Monday, I walked in and told Boss that while I really loved the project I was working on (which was true), it appeared that issues had arisen that couldn't be resolved and it was time to discuss the circumstances of my departure, The weasel- his face flooded with relief. I walked out for the last time that Friday. That was 5 years ago and life is good.

Two zingers they flung at me: I signed a paper acknowledging that I was not eligible for re-hire (I thought they did that only if you embezzled from the company or sexually harassed your coworkers) and when I asked if I could keep the company-issued iPhone 4, which was a year old and a generation behind the latest, they said I'd have to pay $500 for it. I told them to keep it and bought a new iPhone 5 for $550.

My picture may still be posted in the reception area. I haven't been back to check.
Wow. What a company.

Old 09-26-2019, 10:05 AM

22,985 posts, read 15,027,755 times
I had my retirement date planned well in advance.

But if I had retired later I would have had bigger pension and SS amounts. It was a choice I made. I have never regretted it.

One thing you never get back is time.

Old 09-26-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I had my retirement date planned well in advance.

But if I had retired later I would have had bigger pension and SS amounts. It was a choice I made. I have never regretted it.

One thing you never get back is time.
You have to draw the line somewhere, or you can get stuck. One could work almost indefinitely for a bigger pension and SS amounts. Ten months out is my absolute limit -- especially now.

Old 09-26-2019, 12:32 PM

2,052 posts, read 1,427,890 times
Quote:
LOL, so you're saying that you had no options and thus stuck with an underpaid, demeaning, intolerable working conditions, terrible boss, rather than look for a new job. You are certainly entitled to this and I congratulate you for your steadfast approach dealing with humiliating circumstances.

Old 09-26-2019, 12:54 PM

24,605 posts, read 18,322,525 times
Quote:
A lot of the entitlement I see comes from government workers.

Old 09-26-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
A lot of the entitlement I see comes from government workers.
Because we get pensions and health care benefits? Believe me, we suffer for them.

Old 09-26-2019, 02:32 PM

6,578 posts, read 4,943,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Interesting perspective and another option. Can you expound on what you perceive as "a sense of entitlement"? On whose part?
Several people have written about being fed up and just quitting. They feel "entitled" to quit because they don't like their bosses or work environment. They feel entitled to a work place made for them with bosses they like and who will give them the level of privilege and treatment they deserve. I never felt that level of entitlement and for most of my life never had the freedom to up and quit. Among other reasons I had a family to support, college for the kids, and retirement to think about.

My advice would be to find another job if it is in your best interest to continue to work. Quitting because you do not like the job is not going to be considered a "protest". Management and the workplace are not going to see the error of their ways just because you quit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or