U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2019, 02:33 PM

332 posts, read 50,803 times

Advertisements

We sure do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2019, 02:34 PM

332 posts, read 50,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Because we get pensions and health care benefits? Believe me, we suffer for them.

We sure do.

Old 09-26-2019, 02:35 PM

6,578 posts, read 4,943,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
A lot of the entitlement I see comes from government workers.
Absolutely. Among other reasons, they typically see their jobs as 100% secure. Personally I made a decision not to ever work for the government. The jobs tended to be mind numbing with minimal freedom, minimal rewards for performance and with coworkers who were often bottom feeders.

Old 09-26-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
LOL, so you're saying that you had no options and thus stuck with an underpaid, demeaning, intolerable working conditions, terrible boss, rather than look for a new job. You are certainly entitled to this and I congratulate you for your steadfast approach dealing with humiliating circumstances.
I never said any such thing. Some of the jobs deteriorated. I completed a job search, handed in my resignation and started work elsewhere.

Old 09-26-2019, 03:20 PM

14,251 posts, read 6,854,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Absolutely. Among other reasons, they typically see their jobs as 100% secure. Personally I made a decision not to ever work for the government. The jobs tended to be mind numbing with minimal freedom, minimal rewards for performance and with coworkers who were often bottom feeders.
Exactly. My husband and I stayed away from defense jobs, government jobs, then we got to Great Recession and he was near 60.
My husband almost didn’t take the job, I said to give it a try. Worst job ever, his health got worse because of it, that’s why we retired as soon as we can.

Old 09-26-2019, 03:21 PM

14,251 posts, read 6,854,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandmaChris View Post
We sure do.
Exactly, my husband wanted to quit ASAP. And he did nothing there, he wanted to do something useful.

Old 09-26-2019, 03:39 PM

8,922 posts, read 11,103,722 times
In the 2008 time-frame, companies were downsizing and often offering buyout packages. I was thinking about retiring at 62 anyway, but, went instead at 61, with a full-year paid buyout.

In good years, there are fewer of these buyouts around, but, it's still worth checking-out with HR, before simply getting upset and jumping ship.

Old 09-26-2019, 04:03 PM

8,062 posts, read 4,589,437 times
Quote:
Several people have written about being fed up and just quitting. They feel "entitled" to quit because they don't like their bosses or work environment. They feel entitled to a work place made for them with bosses they like and who will give them the level of privilege and treatment they deserve. I never felt that level of entitlement and for most of my life never had the freedom to up and quit. Among other reasons I had a family to support, college for the kids, and retirement to think about.

My advice would be to find another job if it is in your best interest to continue to work. Quitting because you do not like the job is not going to be considered a "protest". Management and the workplace are not going to see the error of their ways just because you quit.
But this isn't about "quitting" with no prospects for any income; it's about "retiring" with a pension, SS, IRAs, savings, or some combination of the above.

Old 09-26-2019, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
But this isn't about "quitting" with no prospects for any income; it's about "retiring" with a pension, SS, IRAs, savings, or some combination of the above.
Or is it about retiring as some sort of "protest" even when that earlier retirement is not in one's interest?

Old 09-27-2019, 07:17 AM

8,062 posts, read 4,589,437 times
Quote:
Or is it about retiring as some sort of "protest" even when that earlier retirement is not in one's interest?
That's precisely what it's about.

Also, a pension isn't an "entitlement" in the sense in which welfare and Medicaid are referred to as entitlements - actually a misnomer in those cases. One is literally entitled to Medicare and SS because they're earned and, likewise, a pension is earned by working for a government or other body long enough to become vested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or