U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2019, 02:27 PM

1,894 posts, read 855,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Indeed.

A lot of our peers are buying second homes with wheels. I think about that sometimes, especially when I see one of the high-end Class A coaches.

This is a permanent tab on my cellphone browser:

https://www.pacificshoresmotorcoachresort.com/

I have it there so I can watch it whenever I get stressed. Imagine how much more calming it would be in person.
That is beautiful but they are picky, I don't think they would allow us in as ours is actual length slightly less than 25'. We just bought a Class C motor home we plan on using during the hot summer months to escape our home here in Florida. We spent a month in it this year and it was great. Small but a nice way to travel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2019, 04:06 PM

8,060 posts, read 4,584,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
That is beautiful but they are picky, I don't think they would allow us in as ours is actual length slightly less than 25'. We just bought a Class C motor home we plan on using during the hot summer months to escape our home here in Florida. We spent a month in it this year and it was great. Small but a nice way to travel.
Except that RVs depreciate whereas real estate appreciates.

Old 09-26-2019, 06:00 PM

8,492 posts, read 5,218,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Except that RVs depreciate whereas real estate appreciates.
Not necessarily. The real estate, I mean.

Old 09-26-2019, 06:52 PM

495 posts, read 85,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Not necessarily. The real estate, I mean.
9 out of 10 times real estate does - they are not making more land

Old 09-26-2019, 06:59 PM

6,672 posts, read 5,317,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
What do you think - pros and cons.

Very late sixties. No health problems.
rent

Old 09-26-2019, 07:03 PM

495 posts, read 85,162 times
A pied-a-terre is normally just a temporary place to stay in the city, not a vacation home. Most I know own a condo as thier pied-a-terre so no real maintenance needed. I would probably own if the cost is close to the same, more upside.

From Wikipedia
Quote:
A pied--terre is a small living unit, e.g., apartment or condominium, usually located in a large city some distance away from an individual's primary residence. The term implies use of the property as a temporary second residence, but not a vacation home, either for part of the year or part of the work week, usually by a reasonably wealthy person. If the owner's primary residence is nearby, the term also implies that the residence allows the owner to use their primary residence as a vacation home.

Old 09-26-2019, 07:19 PM

18,837 posts, read 23,665,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
What do you think - pros and cons.

Very late sixties. No health problems.
There is really no "cut off time" where home ownership is a silly thought. If you want a place in town, go for it. You are fortunate to be healthy and have the means to enjoy this luxury - I say go for it!

Old 09-26-2019, 10:53 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,616,752 times
I'm contemplating having two "second homes" when I retire, because I won't have a traditional "first home" anymore. I dearly love the Southwest and would like to move on from my larger city home and get a small 1BR place in Santa Fe or maybe Taos. But most of my friends are in the East/South, and if I can't over the next ten years get them to fall in love with the Southwest, I may also want a place near wherever they all plan to land (likely western NC). I envision both places being suitable for short-term rental. I'd use a local manager to handle renting out the unoccupied place so it can earn its keep.

Old 09-27-2019, 01:31 AM

1,259 posts, read 882,172 times
I like the idea of renting so I can easily change areas. Considering ME next summer for a month.

I am also dealing with maintenance fatigue and I don't need more..

Old 09-27-2019, 08:03 AM

515 posts, read 591,169 times
From what I have observed.. the second home snow bird thing works when you are younger (in this case, that might be under 75 to 80, very much depends on your luck with health) but at some point, the hassle of moving twice a year and the upkeep gets to you.

Its best if each place gets along on its own without you there. For example, if the place you spend the summer needs to have snow shoveled off the side walks in winter (for example required by the city), you have an extra hassle. Nicer if you can just shut everything down, drain the water and antifreeze things.

Ot the hassle of summer watering of the place you spend the winter.

You may be paying all utilities all year around at both places. Some things can be cut back but not all.

You have the hassle of maintaining internet and TV at both places.

You have to worry about property crime at two places and half the time you wont be at either place.

You will have to deal with mail forwarding. In Colorado, they wont forward for more than six months (I guess to make sure you are actually a resident and live there more than six months of the year). Some hassle from this. For example, the post office will not forward some gov letters (like licence plate renewal tags - first hand experience in Colorado).

You may have health care issues. Your provider may be more local (and less expensive) to only one of the locations where you live. FYI, if you are under 65 and not on medicare, this is really expensive and messed up right now.

But.. for all the hassle and if you like this sort of thing, it can be a great way to spend a bunch of years. Stop in at the home anytime and all your stuff is already there. Move to a "fresh" place twice a year. At the moment, I love this option.

RV... might be nice. I have not done this but you are going to have neighbors close by on each side. If you are a very social person, this will be a great thing and I think most people doing this make good neighbors. If you like your "space" and privacy, might be harder to pull off.

I also think keeping a sailboat in a marina as a second place would be a great thing to do. But even a 30 or 40 ft boat ends up being kind of cramped. Pick a place with a locked gate as you still have to worry about property crime when you are not there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or