U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 01:45 PM

1,081 posts, read 510,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
No spiritual awakening. However itís nice to retire. I always do what I want anyway. Is this Ken Fish from Fisher investments, the guy who says ďI would die and go to hell before Iíd sell annuityĒ?

Correct
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 02:03 PM

8,475 posts, read 5,202,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE866 View Post
Are you really that obtuse not to grasp this quote?

Let me dumb it down for you....

When we are working, our daily activities ( in most cases 8-10 hours of our days)are not dictated by us and in most cases aren't a representation of really who we are or our values.
This is patently absurd.

No one puts a gun to your head and threatens to blow your brains out unless you report to Making People Miserable Corporation on Monday to start your drudgery in chains.

People make choices. Don't pretend you didn't. Everybody who worked for MPM Corp or its moral equivalent chose to do those "daily activities."

Lastly, self-employed people don't look around and blame others for their misery. It's kind of hard to fool yourself into thinking you're a victim when you started your business and are putting your all into running it and succeeding.

THAT is how you define yourself. Start with, "I am not a victim."

Old Yesterday, 02:10 PM

9,178 posts, read 7,940,536 times
OP's post is very good. Most people get a significant part of their identity based on their occupation or their employer. This is why some have a real problem with retirement, and why some work way past the average retirement age. Lots of people's ego comes from their work. For some its hard to abandon that part of their identity.

Old Yesterday, 02:10 PM

677 posts, read 371,649 times
Don't know why some of these people are raggin' on you, Free! But I get what you're saying and I think most people can relate to it. It's tough to resist the pressure to conform to a corporate standard when you live in it the better part of 5 days a week. I think we come into our own in retirement when there is no one to answer to but ourselves. Finally.

Old Yesterday, 02:21 PM

7,860 posts, read 3,213,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justus978 View Post
...really?..so you're saying you spent your entire life being defined by who you work for?...that's pretty sad...
You would argue over a free cheeseburger! Being contrary is often a sign of envy, and personal shortcomings.

Not understanding the pitfalls of annuities is a sign of this thinking. Dude, lighten up.

Old Yesterday, 02:21 PM

1,081 posts, read 510,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouBaby View Post
Don't know why some of these people are raggin' on you, Free! But I get what you're saying and I think most people can relate to it. It's tough to resist the pressure to conform to a corporate standard when you live in it the better part of 5 days a week. I think we come into our own in retirement when there is no one to answer to but ourselves. Finally.

Thank you.

I'm surprised by some of these responses.......and to the poster saying I'm calling myself a "victim" I really don't look at it that way...at all...I enjoyed my working years, but it certainly didn't "define " me...

In my 28 year working career I was in sales---I sold financial products, then talent for TV commercials and then print..they were sales jobs.....~50 hours a week that was my focus....

now I'm retired
my focus now is numerous volunteer projects --helping immigrants study for their GEDs, teaching chess to young children, helping the elderly with creative writing and engagement, and I also do work helping animals . So FOR ME--these activities are more in line with my values...I'm not stating this to brag , but given some of you don't understand the crux of what the quote means hopefully now you understand its meaning a little clearer.

Old Yesterday, 03:18 PM

1,960 posts, read 1,152,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
You would argue over a free cheeseburger! Being contrary is often a sign of envy, and personal shortcomings.

Not understanding the pitfalls of annuities is a sign of this thinking. Dude, lighten up.

..huh?..

...what does a free cheeseburger have to with anything?..

...please expound on how being contrary is a sign of envy and personal shortcomings, i'm dying to here that explained to me...

...i know nothing about annuities, nor do i care to....

...the "Dude, lighten up"... is the only thing in your post i understand...

Old Yesterday, 03:24 PM

5,519 posts, read 715,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
OP's post is very good. Most people get a significant part of their identity based on their occupation or their employer. This is why some have a real problem with retirement, and why some work way past the average retirement age. Lots of people's ego comes from their work. For some its hard to abandon that part of their identity.
My former FIL was one of those people. He was an account manager for a printing company well into his 70s. He was canned because his company lost a major account that he worked on through a bidding process. He was crestfallen. After he lost his job, he would periodically visit his workplace just "to smell the ink." Once at a family gathering, and during a course of conversation around work, he broke down in tears because he missed it so.

He's in his 80s now and works part time at the deli counter for a regional supermarket. Physically speaking, he's working harder now than he did when he was in printing management. He's a very social guy and really needs human interaction, otherwise he'd go stir-crazy at home.

Last edited by Daisy Grey; Yesterday at 03:42 PM..

Old Yesterday, 04:06 PM

5,519 posts, read 715,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouBaby View Post
Agreed!

These "self-righteous" snobs drive me crazy! This isn't the 1950s folks!

If you have a family--especially if you're a married woman--you just can't pull up stakes and leave the situation you're in. Any external responsibilities to which a person is committed has to be factored into the equation.

So...your career is on the rise and your personal life is humming along nicely. You're married with kids in tow, and have settled into a nice neighborhood with a decent school system. THEN...that once promising job turns into a nightmare when management changes and makes your life a living hell. Then what do you do? Your response will depend on whether you're in your 20s, 30s, 40s or 50s or beyond. It will also depend on how vested you are geographically.

The point: the reality is that life shapes who we areas well as our choices do . We cannot help but be defined by our circumstances. Sometimes you just have to ride out the "unpleasant" until circumstances change. Timing is everything!

Last edited by Daisy Grey; Yesterday at 04:20 PM..

Old Yesterday, 04:26 PM

7,860 posts, read 3,213,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justus978 View Post
..huh?..

...what does a free cheeseburger have to with anything?..

...please expound on how being contrary is a sign of envy and personal shortcomings, i'm dying to here that explained to me...

...i know nothing about annuities, nor do i care to....

...the "Dude, lighten up"... is the only thing in your post i understand...
Once again, It goes over your head. Quit digging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement