U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 09:43 AM

4,047 posts, read 1,758,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
A lot of people "work to live" and derive their identity from their hobbies, family, and lifestyle outside of work.

I've never had a job that really had much impact on my identity beyond being able to fund the lifestyle things that do drive my identity. I don't hate what I do, but it certainly doesn't define me.
Me, too. I spent the last 10 years of my working life in a resort community, so options were limited for work. But that suited me just fine because I had a seasonal job with half the year off and generous unemployment.

Got to play and travel half the year and get paid for it.

I did love building spec houses way back in the day, but that is the distant past. If I HAD to identify with work, that would probably be it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2019, 10:08 AM

6,026 posts, read 6,908,729 times
Ken Fisher...pretty much the joke of the retirement industry.

Try calling and talking with his people some time. You won't have ANY identity left unless you have MILLIONS for him to latch on to.

I wouldn't take investment advice from him, let alone personal profiling.

Old 09-27-2019, 10:23 AM
JRR

3,943 posts, read 2,362,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post

Try calling and talking with his people some time. You won't have ANY identity left unless you have MILLIONS for him to latch on to.

I believe that Fisher has somewhere around $100 billion AUM. So I guess he is doing pretty well for being a joke.

Old 09-27-2019, 12:22 PM

2,957 posts, read 1,485,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post

I wouldn't call him a joke but rather t he "use car dealer of the investment world. DON'T EVER, EVER CALL them, you will be stalked literally for the rest of your life. I made the mistake of answering an ad for a copy of his book. that was 10 years ago and these jokers STILL call. they do not take no for an answer.

I really think that's how they are successful, you will give them all your money, your kids and your dog just so they leave you alone.

Old 09-27-2019, 12:24 PM

2,957 posts, read 1,485,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justus978 View Post
...really?..so you're saying you spent your entire life being defined by who you work for?...that's pretty sad...
so one reason I don't post here anymore. these stupid psychobabble BS answer to a very simple question that basically turns the entire post into a fight or a platform for the philosophy.

yes, we know you're work life is all roses and blue birds.

Old 09-27-2019, 12:40 PM

1,989 posts, read 1,166,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
so one reason I don't post here anymore. these stupid psychobabble BS answer to a very simple question that basically turns the entire post into a fight or a platform for the philosophy.

yes, we know you're work life is all roses and blue birds.

..."one reason I don't post here anymore"...but you felt the need to post...

...i never said my 'work life was all roses'...but my job certainly didn't define who i was, nor did my co-workers, too bad yours did, i get that your angry...

Old 09-27-2019, 04:39 PM
JRR

3,943 posts, read 2,362,183 times
Interesting how often a thread gets started and it doesn't take long to become a spitting contest.

Old 09-27-2019, 06:18 PM

1,302 posts, read 898,511 times
If you don't have yourself figured out by the time you retire you have wasted your life..

Old 09-27-2019, 06:23 PM

4,963 posts, read 3,441,784 times
And now we hear from the voice of doom.

Old 09-27-2019, 06:32 PM

5,132 posts, read 1,994,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Just because YOU hated going to work at some mindless job every day, you have to understand that some of us have CAREERS, not JOBS. There is a big difference. If you work in some cubicle, doing menial labor, that I can understand, but you also have to accept that some people perform meaningful, productive work at their employment, and actually find it rewarding.

Sorry that your job was so bad, maybe you should have taken a different career path early on, like we did.

In general, I found my work fulfilling and I enjoyed doing it, compared to grunt work. But a great majority of people do have Jobs, not Careers, which you would know if you ever got out among us.

Funny how many people rush for the door when the whistle blows, instead of just staying there and saying "You guys go on home, I'll just stay and finish up".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement