U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2019, 09:41 PM

4,461 posts, read 7,302,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justus978 View Post
...really?..so you're saying you spent your entire life being defined by who you work for?...that's pretty sad...
Yeah. That quote makes no sense. You are who you are, what you do is part of that.
Ken Fisher obviously never heard of Popeye: "I yam what I yam and that's all that I yam, I'm Popeye the sailor man!"

Popeye was his own man. Fisher sounds like he's either confused or selling something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2019, 01:25 PM

8,404 posts, read 5,290,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Really? Success in work and being recognized for it often does defined our sense of who we are as seen by others who are aware of that success....
Indeed, it's hard to regard oneself as having lived a fully successful life, if one has not achieved some smattering of success in one's profession... be it nursing, sports, engineering, law, carpentry, plumbing, accountancy, education, .... Lacking a lifelong vocation and a job where one practices said vocation, is a very substantial detriment against the whole-picture of a life that's been lived well. Sure, it is possible to live a successful life as a wealthy heir, a hobbyist, a gentleman of leisure... but is it not the case, that there is something palpably important, that's missing in such a life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
The people I know who identify with their work are either self-employed or in some type of "helping" profession. Corporate back office people don't identify with their work that way.
People who self-identify with their work, do something creative, something that leaves a lasting impression. It might be architecture or building-construction. It might be machining of precision metal parts. It might be engineering or design-work of some type.

The difference is between say software development and manning the help-desk. The help-desk is a back-office job that's been commoditized. But writing the software that codes-up some cryptography algorithm, or even a new video-game, is a creative venture with which one makes lifelong identification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Ken Fisher obviously never heard of Popeye: "I yam what I yam and that's all that I yam, I'm Popeye the sailor man!"

Popeye was his own man. Fisher sounds like he's either confused or selling something.
Popeye was a sailor, a humorist and an adventurer. He may or may not have been a crewman on a fishing-vessel, employed by some seafood company. He may or may not have been a naval military recruit. Or a privateer assisting in the evacuation of Dunkirk across the English Channel. Or an explorer for pearls. Or a member of Jacques Cousteau's expedition. Or whatever. But if Popeye spent his life watching TV, puttering around the garden (maybe growing spinach?) or baking pies for his local church-group, he wouldn't be Popeye. His essential Popeye-ness isn't contingent on earning a steady paycheck as a ship crewman, but it is contingent on him doing nautical things, and perfecting his craft associated with boats, the sea and sailing.

The overall point is that smart people make the right decisions as teenagers, to combine their avocation with their vocation. They get the suitable education to embark on precisely that career that maximizes use of their talents and which harnesses their interests. They don't become like the Medieval character Hans Sachs, who was a shoemaker for his livelihood, but a poet as a side-venture. Hans had no choice in the matter. Modern people do.

However - and it's a big however!!! - the very same teenagers who make the right choices and embark on rewarding an remunerative careers, may not remain so eager 30 years later. 16 + 30 = 46. That's still so young, as to be within "early retirement"... very early retirement. What happened? Promotions and entry into management. Corporate culture gone awry. Politics. Jadedness and ennui. This is when one become receptive to the retirement message, DESPITE having spent a lifetime (to-date) in a career that one loves.

Old 10-02-2019, 11:57 AM

1,611 posts, read 1,384,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE866 View Post
"none of your business"

lol

ok, no more need for conversation

have a great day!
I totally understood what you meant FREE866 :-)

The other posters "none of your business" comment told me volumes of information about him....all in 4 words :-)

I left "Corporate America" 16 years ago, for a job in the same industry with a much smaller locally owned business...and it's been wonderful. I get what you're saying....totally.

Old 10-10-2019, 01:34 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
23,285 posts, read 40,886,062 times
Quotable Quotes?

This is very sad (but not unexpected coming from from KF)
Billionaire Ken Fisher draws public ire for comparing winning clients to wooing women
"Fisher told the crowd that winning clients was like “trying to get into a girl’s pants,” among other things."
https://heavy.com/news/2019/10/ken-f...r-investments/

1. The Man Who Recorded the Video of Fisher Making Sexist Remarks Symbolized Why Women Don’t Like Coming to Finance Conferences

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/we...ize-2019-10-10

I would hope there is a special place in hxll reserved for these high flying perverts.
Why they feel they have this 'power', or it is even remotely suggestible I do not know.

Sad for all.

Glad I do not have a company pension at his firm, or I would be in a rapid quest to move it.

2020 = the yr Fisher Investments went from $118b to Zero managed would be a reasonable headline next yr at this time.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 10-10-2019 at 01:49 PM..

Old 10-10-2019, 01:46 PM

14,393 posts, read 6,937,953 times
Frankly, I don’t need to see any video, I can tell he is sleazy.

Old 10-10-2019, 02:53 PM

533 posts, read 659,652 times
Some people live to work, meaning they're identity and self worth are tied up with what they do for a living. These are mostly the type A folks that can never really turn work off. Other folks work to live. To me that means that what I do for a living doesn't define me but it provides me with the means to do the things that I want to do that do define me.

I don't have any statistics, but I've heard that the live to work type are more likely to die soon after retirement because they're meaning in life is gone.

Old 10-11-2019, 12:11 PM

30,113 posts, read 35,359,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBoy3 View Post
If you don't have yourself figured out by the time you retire you have wasted your life..
No not at all, with retirement and the finances to do so you now have time to explore and develop a newer lifestyle and update your self to the opportunities presented. life is a continuing growth process with spurts along the way. Retirement provides the opportunity for one of those spurts.

Old 10-11-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djplourd View Post
Some people live to work, meaning they're identity and self worth are tied up with what they do for a living. These are mostly the type A folks that can never really turn work off. Other folks work to live. To me that means that what I do for a living doesn't define me but it provides me with the means to do the things that I want to do that do define me.

I don't have any statistics, but I've heard that the live to work type are more likely to die soon after retirement because they're meaning in life is gone.
Interesting, my experience is just the opposite. I have found that success in your working life often provides the opportunity for a successful retirement spring board to newer life experiences and personal growth etc.

Old 10-12-2019, 06:35 PM

FYI about Ken Fisher and his thoughts:

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/12/ken-...t-remarks.html

Key Points as noted in the article not me:

Quote:
The state of Michigan has pulled $600 million of its pension fund from wealth management company Fisher Investments after the company’s founder and CEO Ken Fisher made sexist comments at a summit in San Francisco this week.
At the Tiburon conference, Fisher talked about his wealth management strategy to picking up women for sex, made explicit remarks about genitalia and mentioned Jeffrey Epstein, the financier who was charged with trafficking girls.
Fisher was initially defiant amid the backlash in an interview with Bloomberg, in which he said he had “given a lot of talks, a lot of times, in a lot of places and said stuff like this and never gotten that type of response.”

Old 10-12-2019, 07:11 PM

14,393 posts, read 6,937,953 times
Is this guy stupid or what? Why would he say such a thing in public, especially nowadays. Why would you trust a stupid guy to manage your money in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement