U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Today, 10:19 AM
 
1,079 posts, read 508,599 times
Reputation: 1518

Advertisements

"Spend time defining who you are. You get to decide who you are after you retire. When you were working, your company, position & coworkers limited your self-definition. View retirement an opportunity to think through who you want to be."


Breaking the umbilical cord form corporate America has been a form of a spiritual awakening!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Today, 11:22 AM
 
1,960 posts, read 1,150,142 times
Reputation: 1747
...really?..so you're saying you spent your entire life being defined by who you work for?...that's pretty sad...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 11:37 AM
 
1,079 posts, read 508,599 times
Reputation: 1518
Quote:
Originally Posted by justus978 View Post
...really?..so you're saying you spent your entire life being defined by who you work for?...that's pretty sad...



Are you really that obtuse not to grasp this quote?


Let me dumb it down for you....


When we are working, our daily activities ( in most cases 8-10 hours of our days)are not dictated by us and in most cases aren't a representation of really who we are or our values.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 11:50 AM
 
1,960 posts, read 1,150,142 times
Reputation: 1747
Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE866 View Post


Are you really that obtuse not to grasp this quote?


Let me dumb it down for you....


When we are working, our daily activities ( in most cases 8-10 hours of our days)are not dictated by us and in most cases aren't a representation of really who we are or our values.



...i feel sorry for you free, if you were a slave to your work, most of us have lives outside of what we do for a living...and if what you did for a living didn't represent your values, well, that's on you...nothing obtuse at all about my grasp of things...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 12:06 PM
 
1,079 posts, read 508,599 times
Reputation: 1518
Quote:
Originally Posted by justus978 View Post
...i feel sorry for you free, if you were a slave to your work, most of us have lives outside of what we do for a living...and if what you did for a living didn't represent your values, well, that's on you...nothing obtuse at all about my grasp of things...

Are you still working?
What do you do or did do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 12:14 PM
 
1,960 posts, read 1,150,142 times
Reputation: 1747
Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE866 View Post
Are you still working?
What do you do or did do?



...been retired almost two decades...


...none of your business...


...i didn't wait until i retired to 'define who i was'...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 12:18 PM
 
1,079 posts, read 508,599 times
Reputation: 1518
Quote:
Originally Posted by justus978 View Post
...been retired almost two decades...


...none of your business...


...i didn't wait until i retired to 'define who i was'...

"none of your business"



lol


ok, no more need for conversation





have a great day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 01:16 PM
 
7,263 posts, read 3,999,201 times
Reputation: 14961
Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE866 View Post
"Spend time defining who you are. You get to decide who you are after you retire. When you were working, your company, position & coworkers limited your self-definition. View retirement an opportunity to think through who you want to be."


Breaking the umbilical cord form corporate America has been a form of a spiritual awakening!
I have not been able to do this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 01:25 PM
 
6,538 posts, read 3,727,600 times
Reputation: 22953
I started defining myself around the age of thirty and, yes, it was a real struggle to find a good working fit. It demanded acquiring some skills I really wasn't interested in and often a lifestyle that didn't match my diurnal clock.

I'm very glad to be free of making compromises about my personal wants. But at least they weren't needs.

Yay, retirement!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 01:39 PM
 
Location: SoCal
14,222 posts, read 6,824,231 times
Reputation: 10998
No spiritual awakening. However it’s nice to retire. I always do what I want anyway. Is this Ken Fish from Fisher investments, the guy who says “I would die and go to hell before I’d sell annuity”?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top