U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 12:06 PM

14,222 posts, read 6,824,231 times

Advertisements

I’m slowly getting rid of some of my books, garden and cook books. I look up at most things online. As far as school books. I don’t have a clue where they are, but they are outdated already. If I find them, I will get rid of them. I hold no sentimental value in anything. Well almost anything.

Last edited by NewbieHere; Yesterday at 12:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 12:18 PM

2,485 posts, read 1,262,840 times
I had a hard time disposing of some things, but I did it anyway. No regrets.

Old Yesterday, 12:53 PM

1,236 posts, read 621,952 times
I came upon this thread by chance and am nowhere near retirement, but: why would anyone want to get rid of books/paraphernalia that helped them through decades earn their daily bread or finance a nice life? Personally, would never want to get rid of things like my old uniforms. I covered many thousands of miles in those uniforms, and there are so many memories connected with them. If it hurts you to get rid of something, then how about just not?

Old Yesterday, 01:05 PM

14,525 posts, read 45,513,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
I graduated from Engineering School 45 years ago with arm loads of text books. The useless ones were sold or donated, reference manuals took their place, job responsibility changes thinned the pile but many still remain.

I cotinnue to dispose of unnecessary tomes as retirement day approaches (6 to 9 months out) but the emotional attachment to the survivors remain. I know what has to be done and I keep marching in that direction in spite of the pain.

Am I alone in this reluctance?

If you have room to keep the books, why not keep them? Unless you intend to get on Musk's one way flight to Mars for your retirement, it's not a given that you will never work or think about your profession again.

I will keep some of mine, give some to colleagues, maybe a few will go to my favorite indy book store down the street from my office.

Old Yesterday, 01:06 PM

2,485 posts, read 1,262,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norne View Post
I came upon this thread by chance and am nowhere near retirement, but: why would anyone want to get rid of books/paraphernalia that helped them through decades earn their daily bread or finance a nice life? Personally, would never want to get rid of things like my old uniforms. I covered many thousands of miles in those uniforms, and there are so many memories connected with them. If it hurts you to get rid of something, then how about just not?
The older we get, the closer we get to dying. If we don't clean up after ourselves now, family will be forced to do it for us after we're dead, which can be a huge burden to them. Personally, I don't want to leave a lifetime of memorabilia for someone else to dispose of when I'm gone. I have the memories, don't need the actual physical "stuff" at all.

When we die, it will all be just trash for someone to clean up.

Old Yesterday, 02:00 PM

14,222 posts, read 6,824,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
The older we get, the closer we get to dying. If we don't clean up after ourselves now, family will be forced to do it for us after we're dead, which can be a huge burden to them. Personally, I don't want to leave a lifetime of memorabilia for someone else to dispose of when I'm gone. I have the memories, don't need the actual physical "stuff" at all.

When we die, it will all be just trash for someone to clean up.
Exactly. My daughter is a literature major, sheís the one who wants to keep her books. Iím getting rid of mine, even my poker books. I realized I havenít been playing much.

Old Yesterday, 02:12 PM

8,473 posts, read 5,196,100 times
Quote:
I graduated from Engineering School 45 years ago with arm loads of text books. The useless ones were sold or donated, reference manuals took their place, job responsibility changes thinned the pile but many still remain.

I cotinnue to dispose of unnecessary tomes as retirement day approaches (6 to 9 months out) but the emotional attachment to the survivors remain. I know what has to be done and I keep marching in that direction in spite of the pain.

No, you're not.

While I'm certain you haven't needed to glance at any of those books in decades, they're still emblematic of your achievement. They're meaningful to you.

I think you should keep the survivors. One can prune too much.

Old Yesterday, 02:15 PM

12,090 posts, read 20,658,888 times
Quote:

Youíre not alone. However, I am not one of you.

A month after I started in my husbandís business, I got rid of my bank work clothes. My work has now changed, so I need a different clothes for that. My husband on the other hand kept his old work clothes. Now I have to clean out all his closets.

Iím always in a dump, sell, or donate frame of mind. I am not a minimalist by any stretch of the imagination, but truly too much is stifling.

Old Yesterday, 02:16 PM

8,473 posts, read 5,196,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
Work-related stuff is the first to go. Work does not define me - it's always been simply an means to an end - living a good, decent, enjoyable life.
Not everyone is like you.

Some people, particularly those who have had difficulties since birth, find comfort and satisfaction in being defined by their work. It's proof that they are wanted and useful and if their career pays particularly well, so much the better.

Old Yesterday, 02:22 PM

6,573 posts, read 4,933,209 times
I understand the reluctance. Before I retired I still had textbooks in calculus and physics from my college years. Eventually all of them went in the trash. I have not needed or missed them since. I also tossed out years and years of a professional journal. At one time they would have been donated to a library. The internet has made that sort of thing obsolete.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or