U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2019, 07:16 PM

1,252 posts, read 353,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deoge View Post
I have a SCUBA weight belt that I just do not want to discard although I don't ever see me using it again. If you wanted it I would give it to you in a heartbeat, but I will not be the one throwing it out.
So call your nearest dive shop/school and see if anyone could use it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2019, 07:30 PM

5,391 posts, read 2,091,103 times
for my undergraduate degree in sciences, I had to do a project that related to my work at the time as an analyst. I created these three HUGE manuals - binders of technical info - no one in the world would think anything about these things, as they are very specific to technology that was happening decades ago, but every time I look at them in my basement, I think "I should throw those out," but I can't.

For me, it's about ego - "look what I did!" No one in my family would probably even open them, and if they did, they wouldn't think: "Wow, mom was a genius! - but that's what stops me!

Last edited by nobodysbusiness; 09-26-2019 at 07:50 PM..

Old 09-26-2019, 07:33 PM

7,746 posts, read 8,909,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
They give you nothing nowadays for used books!
We would get 50% back for books (early 80s).

Editions used by the profs are updated quite frequently, forcing students to buy the newest and more expensive versions.

----------

As for work paraphernalia, I would have to move offices so frequently that I pared down what I had to some essentials and some files. I changed jobs frequently when I worked in SF & Silicon Valley, so by that point I would have a coffee mug, a few other items, my files for work, and that was it. The joke was with constant reorgs and layoffs you wanted to be able to be packed up completely in 10 min or less, with just a couple boxes.

Old 09-26-2019, 08:15 PM

1,197 posts, read 681,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
*sigh* Having a corporate business means that some files never get thrown out, in case of an IRS audit (which can happen at any time and is not as limited as a personal tax audit). However, they can molder away in a shed with a leaky roof... "Why yes, I have that right here <cough, wheeze> Oops! Sorry that it just fell apart."

The friends of the library bookstore gets some of my stuff, but the problem is that when I go to donate I see books for sale I want. What I find frightening is that at some point I might want to buy a book that I donated.

Yep, that's us! Plastic bins of ledgers, tax info, you name it! And 2 big army foot lockers stuffed full also. What really gets me are the people who call and want info from 20 years ago...because THEY didn't keep their stuff... and I finally decided it would be ok for me to tell people "no, too old, don't have things that old any more."

And I did take boxes and bags of really nice books to our Friends of the Library. Nice craft books people gave me (who makes slipcovers any more?) and cookbooks I haven't used in eons. Took me 2 trips to get them all there.

Now there's all the tools. We recently tried to clean out a bunch of stuff... old obsolete tools - maybe some still worked... and we found an old friend who took it all. He actually had no idea what he was going to do with it all but he was happy to have it. What to do with the rest of it? That's the $64,000 question.

Old 09-26-2019, 08:37 PM

7,461 posts, read 15,579,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
for my undergraduate degree in sciences, I had to do a project that related to my work at the time as an analyst. I created these three HUGE manuals - binders of technical info - no one in the world would think anything about these things, as they are very specific to technology that was happening decades ago, but every time I look at them in my basement, I think "I should throw those out," but I can't.

For me, it's about ego - "look what I did!" No one in my family would probably even open them, and if they did, they wouldn't think: "Wow, mom was a genius! - but that's what stops me!
I did keep the technical journals and meeting proceedings that I am published in, lol. Not throwing those out.

My FIL was a university professor in the 50s, 60s and 70s and did a bunch of programming on punch cards for statistical analysis. He keep all the punch cards and the family has been using them for book marks, card house building and other various and sundry uses ever since. We got two boxes of them when he died and haven't gone through them all yet.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 09-26-2019, 08:41 PM

2,291 posts, read 1,438,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
I have a 1996 NEC Handbook, 3-ring hard cover, fully tabbed! What do I do with this? I haven't needed it or used it since 1999.
Paper can be recycled. Binder goes in the trash. Anything you need to know can be looked up on the internet or asked in a forum. it's time to let go.

Old 09-26-2019, 09:01 PM

1,175 posts, read 469,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Not everyone is like you.

Some people, particularly those who have had difficulties since birth, find comfort and satisfaction in being defined by their work. It's proof that they are wanted and useful and if their career pays particularly well, so much the better.
Thank goodness for that eh? In the service, I worked at providing the quickest, most accurate lab tests which hopefully led to lives being saved.

In the current job, the path is littered with the careers of people that I took out for cheating the company. A few also ended up with felony records.

I think they bookend nicely.

Live, die and forget it all.

Last edited by k7baixo; 09-26-2019 at 09:18 PM..

Old 09-26-2019, 11:53 PM

845 posts, read 252,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
I graduated from Engineering School 45 years ago with arm loads of text books. The useless ones were sold or donated, reference manuals took their place, job responsibility changes thinned the pile but many still remain.
I cotinnue to dispose of unnecessary tomes as retirement day approaches (6 to 9 months out) but the emotional attachment to the survivors remain. I know what has to be done and I keep marching in that direction in spite of the pain.
Am I alone in this reluctance?
Believe me, you're not alone. I retired 18 months ago, and just got rid of all of my college textbooks (I had saved a physics and chemistry text in case I ever have to settle an argument, LOL, but relented and those went too). I kept my Millwright reference, and "Standard Handbook of Mechanical Engineering", who knows if I won't get a phone call someday and need to answer a question or two - I'll give those away after I've been away from it for so long they become useless to me. I plan to keep my college papers, though, for sentimental reasons, it's only one smallish box. Another small box is filled with diplomas, awards, certificates, and "shift notes" we used to write each other, sometimes I really miss those guys. Whoever ends up cleaning out my cave can throw that stuff into the hole with me, it will make good fuel for the pyre.

Old Yesterday, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
So call your nearest dive shop/school and see if anyone could use it...
I had an uncle (by marriage, he married my Mom's sister late in life), who used to be on the Ski Patrol in the 1960's, he climbed most of the "fourteeners" in the continental U.S.. While on vacation in Utah, we went up to Sundance ski resort to take the tram to the top of the mountain (it was summertime, no skiing going on). He was in his 80's at the time, and could barely walk from the car due to back issues. Another uncle and I supported his forearms so he could make the walk over uneven ground.

As we were walking he said, "I've still got all of my climbing ropes, pitons, axes, etc. in the garage. I don't think I want to get rid of them, though, I may use them again one day". I just nodded my head in agreement. And today, maybe two decades later, I'm closer to where he was then than where I was then.

Time waits for no man.

Old Yesterday, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
*sigh* Having a corporate business means that some files never get thrown out, in case of an IRS audit (which can happen at any time and is not as limited as a personal tax audit). However, they can molder away in a shed with a leaky roof... "Why yes, I have that right here <cough, wheeze> Oops! Sorry that it just fell apart."

The friends of the library bookstore gets some of my stuff, but the problem is that when I go to donate I see books for sale I want. What I find frightening is that at some point I might want to buy a book that I donated.
Harry, didn't they change the retention period for Corporate records maybe a decade ago? At the time, I was in charge of our "Archive Cage" at work, it had volumes going back close to fifty years. I approached the Comptroller to see if I could discard anything to make some room, and he checked with Corporate, and they allowed me to toss anything older than seven or ten years. I saved a few of the "first" Account Receivable ledgers the Facility generated, they were very interesting - with no computers in 1958, every item was neatly penned into lines, it was like looking back in time. One except to this was "Occupational Health and Safety", those records still need to be saved "for the life of the affected employee". I figured a hundred years ought to do it, and didn't throw away anything from those files.
(Edit: we were an "LLC" at the time, I believe)

Last edited by Curly Q. Bobalink; Yesterday at 12:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or