Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2019, 05:26 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
We have the same rule: If you haven't touched it in a year, you don't need it. We eliminated over 150' of shelved books, obsolete electronics, obsolete cameras, obsolete software, ratty lawn furniture, anything that doesn't work any more, silverware, dishes, furniture, antiques, old clothes, and anything that was sitting on the floor or the back of a closet.

I have kept all my tools, but I built a 36 x 60 shop to keep them in, and I hobby out there a lot. The line between a project and a pile of junk is if I am actively working on it.

We rarely buy books, but keep a huge library on a couple of Kindles.

Our house is only 1700 square feet, and we don't want it to be cluttered. for the last five years we have had a rule that if we buy something, we have to dispose of something. Buy a new winter coat? The old winter coat has to go to Salvation Army.

My next project is to go through the kitchen and throw out all the cookware we don't use anymore.
A thing is that a lot of what one has depends on where they live, what they do and as such, the one year rule may be meaningless. Take my buffalo hide cape. A good COLD Texas winter may come along once every 10 years where I might wear that to festival; my other furs do me just fine otherwise. But when such a winter comes, I will certainly want that.

It gets even worse living out in the country where self sufficiency is more the rule than the exception.

Heading toward minimalism is great if someone lives in the city but if not, we-ll.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2019, 06:02 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
A thing is that a lot of what one has depends on where they live, what they do and as such, the one year rule may be meaningless. Take my buffalo hide cape. A good COLD Texas winter may come along once every 10 years where I might wear that to festival; my other furs do me just fine otherwise. But when such a winter comes, I will certainly want that.

It gets even worse living out in the country where self sufficiency is more the rule than the exception.

Heading toward minimalism is great if someone lives in the city but if not, we-ll.........
I certainly didn't intend any criticism of people who want to keep stuff around. I'm rural too, but obviously not as fashion conscious as you. If it's cold, I just layer up, and can stay comfortable sitting in a duck blind in a blizzard. I wouldn't bother to go to a festival in that weather.

Old 09-28-2019, 06:49 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times
Quote:
I certainly didn't intend any criticism of people who want to keep stuff around. I'm rural too, but obviously not as fashion conscious as you. If it's cold, I just layer up, and can stay comfortable sitting in a duck blind in a blizzard. I wouldn't bother to go to a festival in that weather.

One must stay in character, doncha know?

Old 09-29-2019, 09:09 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,647,123 times
Quote:
I have kept all my tools, but I built a 36 x 60 shop to keep them in, and I hobby out there a lot. The line between a project and a pile of junk is if I am actively working on it.
Uh-oh. I think I have several piles of junk.

Old 09-29-2019, 11:45 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,826,232 times
As a friend's father used to say, when asked if he was closer to finishing his project car (a 1910 Cadillac):

"Well, if we postulate that the car will be done at some future date, then, by the mere passage of time, I am closer to being done."

(35 years later, it is still isn't done and I don't think he has touched it in 20 years.)
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 09-29-2019, 03:18 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,663,180 times
My spouse was an engineer also. When he passed I had no idea of the books, notebooks, etc. that he had saved from his college days, military career and civilian career. I sincerely doubt he had used any of it in years, so it was left for me to dispose.

Old 09-29-2019, 04:56 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,737,232 times
Until I retired in 2002, I had been a custom golf clubmaker for 20 years as a hobby then for 15 years full time. I had tools of the trade we used in the 60', 70's etc. that eventually were of no use but I kept them. When I retired, I packed much of it up and took it with me. Over the years I have given away or disposed of much of it. I am in the final stages of getting rid of it all.

Old 09-29-2019, 05:12 PM

15,632 posts, read 10,388,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
I graduated from Engineering School 45 years ago with arm loads of text books. The useless ones were sold or donated, reference manuals took their place, job responsibility changes thinned the pile but many still remain.

I cotinnue to dispose of unnecessary tomes as retirement day approaches (6 to 9 months out) but the emotional attachment to the survivors remain. I know what has to be done and I keep marching in that direction in spite of the pain.

Am I alone in this reluctance?
You are obviously sentimental about these items you want to keep. If these things make you feel good, keep them! you will let them go someday or they will continue to give you comfort for the rest of your life. neither of these feelings are wrong! do what feels right for you.

Old 09-29-2019, 05:16 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
As a friend's father used to say, when asked if he was closer to finishing his project car (a 1910 Cadillac):

"Well, if we postulate that the car will be done at some future date, then, by the mere passage of time, I am closer to being done."

(35 years later, it is still isn't done and I don't think he has touched it in 20 years.)
OMG

My "roommate" has a couple of cars in the garage that he will get to someday!

His "hoarding" makes me want to throw things out.

Old 09-30-2019, 09:41 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,008,695 times
The only time I get rid of a lot of stuff is when I move and then I throw it all out...except my books.

I brought home a a large shopping bag of stuff when I retired and without looking in the bag, threw the whole thing out with my move six weeks later. It took 2 moves for the ice hockey collectibles to go. Then there was my old PCs and PC paraphernalia graveyard...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement