U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 01:57 AM

73,754 posts, read 73,583,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Be aware that nursing homes are not required to take Medicaid. Patients can be admitted with money to cover the bills and when it runs out they can be told to leave. Nursing homes are businesses, not charities or public institutions.
we checked in to the nicer homes in our area before getting our ltc policy and their policies were that if we were paying customers for 2 to 3 years they would accept medicaid assignment , but of course they don't have to , it is just policy ...the state only requires them to have a certain amount of medicaid beds , but once they are filled they don't have to accept anyone who is on medicaid first
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2019, 06:28 AM

692 posts, read 864,518 times
Such wonderful advice and replies. Thank you. My mom originally was in an assisted living facility. She fell, went into rehab, then had to go to a nursing home. I researched which one in my area took Medicaid for when she’d eventually run out of money. There are 2 in my area and one is like many of you described. I wouldn’t put my mom there. The other one had good ratings and they have told me that as long as I paid 6 months-a year and then qualifies for Medicaid then they would accept her. They did explain that a bed has to be available in that unit.

I did hire an elder care attorney. She met a few times at the nursing home with my mom and we updated her will, power of attorney, and she looked over all her financials for the 5 year lookback. There were no issues there. We now wait till next year when we are ready to file. I never thought to ask what the NH covers and what we’ll be responsible for.

The nursing home staff seems to be very caring and any issues I have get resolved very quickly. I am one of those people that do not make a complaint unless it’s absolutely necessary. They all know me there since I go by almost daily. But no one there seems to really know what Medicaid will cover and will not. It makes sense that anything over the counter (vitamins, personal care items) will not be, but I sure hope diapers are covered.

Phones are not in the Medicaid rooms and l have to buy her a cell phone and pay the monthly charge for that. Don’t know about TV’s.

Thank you again. It really is overwhelming and I’m the only one nearby to handle all of this.

Old 09-27-2019, 07:38 AM

6,179 posts, read 5,083,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Be aware that nursing homes are not required to take Medicaid. Patients can be admitted with money to cover the bills and when it runs out they can be told to leave. Nursing homes are businesses, not charities or public institutions.
I'm well aware, having had to find, and deal with, a medicaid NH for my mother, and handling my MIL's finances. I meant that shrugging it off was no way to answer twins4lynn's very appropriate question.

Old 09-27-2019, 07:40 AM

6,179 posts, read 5,083,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
Medicaid pays much less per bed than these places earn from private payers. Where I live the typical assisted living cost is around $8K/month and Medicaid pays around $2500. Most homes require a year or two of private pay at full “tuition” before they will consider a transition to Medicaid. Even then there is no guarantee the home won’t evict them at some future date.
Sorry but medicaid does not pay for AL, only NH.

Old 09-27-2019, 01:16 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,465,853 times
I just had a long talk with the business office at my brother's nursing home. Medi-cal (called Medicaid in other states) covers everything. Custodial care (bathing, shampoo, diapers, haircut, shaving him, etc) are covered by medi-cal/medicaid. The patient is responsible for a cost of services, which is based upon his income. My brother only receives SSI for extremely disabled persons, and his cost of service is his entire SSI check minus $35, which is put in a master trust at the nursing home and can be used by us to purchase anything he may need. A person with a higher income would pay a higher cost of service.

He has been and is continuing on a special Medicare D prescription plan for extremely low income people and the nursing home is handling everything and so far we haven't seen a bill for prescription co pays (he's been there since June).

The woman in the business office strongly emphasized today that he doesn't pay anything (and neither do I!!!) (other than his cost for services) and if a bill is sent to me (for him) don't pay and return it to sender with a note to bill medi-cal.

Old 09-27-2019, 03:21 PM

6,691 posts, read 5,335,337 times
Talk to as many people as you can

We were mis-informed by the nursing home staff. Had to do our own investigating. The social workers at the hospital were a big help.

Old 09-27-2019, 03:38 PM

43,033 posts, read 3,298,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralvr View Post
Such wonderful advice and replies. Thank you. My mom originally was in an assisted living facility. She fell, went into rehab, then had to go to a nursing home. I researched which one in my area took Medicaid for when she’d eventually run out of money. There are 2 in my area and one is like many of you described. I wouldn’t put my mom there. The other one had good ratings and they have told me that as long as I paid 6 months-a year and then qualifies for Medicaid then they would accept her. They did explain that a bed has to be available in that unit.

I did hire an elder care attorney. She met a few times at the nursing home with my mom and we updated her will, power of attorney, and she looked over all her financials for the 5 year lookback. There were no issues there. We now wait till next year when we are ready to file. I never thought to ask what the NH covers and what we’ll be responsible for.

The nursing home staff seems to be very caring and any issues I have get resolved very quickly. I am one of those people that do not make a complaint unless it’s absolutely necessary. They all know me there since I go by almost daily. But no one there seems to really know what Medicaid will cover and will not. It makes sense that anything over the counter (vitamins, personal care items) will not be, but I sure hope diapers are covered.

Phones are not in the Medicaid rooms and l have to buy her a cell phone and pay the monthly charge for that. Don’t know about TV’s.

Thank you again. It really is overwhelming and I’m the only one nearby to handle all of this.
She will probably qualify for a free lifeline phone, they can be either landline or cell phone, but only a choice of one.

Old 09-27-2019, 04:11 PM

17,700 posts, read 17,971,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
we checked in to the nicer homes in our area before getting our ltc policy and their policies were that if we were paying customers for 2 to 3 years they would accept medicaid assignment , but of course they don't have to , it is just policy ..
.the state only requires them to have a certain amount of medicaid beds , but once they are filled they don't have to accept anyone who is on medicaid first
In my area the nicer facilities, the ones that do accept Medicaid after self paying for two to three years, often only have a few spots for people on Medicaid. It is usually something like four beds in a 150 person facility or two beds in an 100 person facility. If you sell pay for several years then run out of money and need Medicaid, and all the Medicaid beds are filled, then they can (and often will) kick you out.

Old 09-28-2019, 01:42 PM

23,046 posts, read 15,062,476 times
I
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
COnsult an elder care attorney who knows the laws of your state.
This is the best advice. Or contact a social worker with your local State Department of Aging.

When people have no assets and are on small fixed income, they can qualify for Medicaid coverage. If they are widows of veterans who served during wartime, they might qualify for another stipend, but I am hazy on details of this latter situation.

If someone has assets, they have to spend down these assets before qualifying fir Medicaid.

Most LTCs will have someone on staff who understands how this works. And every state has their own set of rules.

Old 09-28-2019, 06:39 PM

39,425 posts, read 15,601,374 times
Every state has their own set of rules.

When we looked into this several years ago, in order to qualify for Medicaid funding, a person had to have an income of less than $1200/month. However, the monthly fee at all the places we looked at started at $3K/month.

My aunt's SS and pension was $2K/month. Not enough to cover care when her savings ran out and too high to qualify for Medicaid assistance.

I asked what people do, and was told that they go out into the country and find a facility or home that charges $2K/month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or