U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:13 AM

4,146 posts, read 2,171,617 times

Advertisements

Good heavens, why would a person even think of ripping off their employer when they were retiring? What a bizarre notion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:05 AM

1,476 posts, read 1,188,515 times
I did the opposite by giving away or leaving behind some of my personal items (books, a microwave oven, a space heater and a laser printer - I bought my own so that I did not have to walk to the office printer room).

I don't know the OP's motives for pilfering small stuffs just before retirement. Based on the his complaint of an unpleasant boss, it sounded more like an act of revenge than just stealing.

I was lucky to leave my work place in good terms (taking a volunteer buyout). Having survived many layoffs and seeing people quitting their jobs or transferring to other departments due to bad managements, I could understand some of anger, resentment or avengeful sentiments against former bosses or workplaces expressed at this retirement forum.

While I would not have done the same thing under similar circumstances, I would not wag my fingers vigorously at the OP. I am glad that he felt embarrassed about this past action.

Old Yesterday, 10:11 AM

3,934 posts, read 1,717,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Just the red stapler

LOL. Morning coffee snort. I remember that episode.

Not intentionally, but I just found a stash of a couple dozen pens from work. I know 'cause their name is on 'em. Which is why I won't ever use 'em.

Old Yesterday, 10:25 AM

7,607 posts, read 1,705,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
My goodness! So many holier than thou comments in this thread.

Attention Moderator, move to Religion sub-forum.
Stealing is wrong, period. Nothing religious about believing that stealing is wrong, except that most religions are against it.

Old Yesterday, 10:47 AM

17,733 posts, read 21,619,653 times
Working in a LTC facility, I only did it on a night when 2 other workers called off, and I was stuck with close to 50 patients to take care of. The facility saved the wages of 2 workers, and we didn't an extra dime for it, and we had an Administrator that got a bigger bonus at the end of the year for saving the company money.

A worker who had moved from CA told me that over there, when someone called off, that person's wages were divided amongst the other workers.

Can you accuse me of stealing? Go ahead and try!

Old Yesterday, 11:02 AM

7,112 posts, read 3,925,207 times
When you knew you were going to retire soon did you start to pilfer small stuff

So...who have you been talking to? Actually, no. There really wasn't anything I wanted or needed.

Old Yesterday, 11:12 AM

1,228 posts, read 800,144 times
no, not even pens. i hated the pens the facility purchased. i bought my own but i did take those home.

Old Yesterday, 11:23 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
30,632 posts, read 55,689,264 times
I can't imagine needing anything from work badly enough to pilfer it. Pens are cheap, and I would rarely need one at home anyway, paying all of our bills online. I also have no use at home for staples, paper clips, or anything else in the supply closet at work.

Old Yesterday, 11:33 AM

64 posts, read 12,753 times
No. In fact, they tried giving me a gift (some sort of crystal sculpture), along with my safety equipment. I said no, and left everything behind. Not because I was mad or anything; I just did not have any use for it and I do not collect momentos.

THEN IT WAS ON TO RETIREMENT AND A NEW DAY.

But I did buy myself a nice Cross pen that I always wanted.

Old Yesterday, 11:53 AM

5,558 posts, read 3,205,424 times
I worked from home, Nothing moved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or