U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2019, 07:27 AM

6,151 posts, read 5,067,012 times

Advertisements

I guess some might pilfer the stuff to get "payback" for all their perceived slights that they endured on the job. I really like my employer, and was paid well. Although stress caused me to retire when I did, I didn't really hold the company responsible for that, so no need to "show them" by cleaning out the storage room. And when I think about the fact that I'll probably receive more in my 30 years of pension than I earned in my 25 years of employment, due to COLAs and the fact that my retirement was based upon my highest years of earnings...well I think I'm going to get more than enough from my former employer without resorting to pilfering pens.

There was one guy who worked for my employer, he worked out in the field and had pilfered many tools and other supplies over the years, all emblazoned with the company name. He was only a few years from a very good pension when he ticked off his ex-wife and she called our employer and asked them to come over and look in his garage. They didn't have him arrested, but they did fire him and kept his pension. Unfortunately for him, the union didn't even try to help him due to the theft. If I was his ex, I'd be sleeping with one eye open!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2019, 08:12 AM

4,861 posts, read 3,836,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
I did and am embarrassed now. It was small inexpensive things that I didn't need to do and have used little. Sometimes my boss would be unnecessarily unpleasant.
Take the rest of what you took, purchase a few additional supplies, and donate the lot to a local charity or school.

Old 09-28-2019, 08:19 AM

4,395 posts, read 1,262,762 times
I worked at a fish hatchery. Years before, all the hatchery signs had been replaced with new ones. The old ones were upstairs stored away, never to be used again. I took one of the signs as a momento and have it hanging in my garage. I guess I "pilfered" it, but I haven't lost any sleep over it.

Old 09-28-2019, 09:28 AM

1,754 posts, read 1,112,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
I did and am embarrassed now. It was small inexpensive things that I didn't need to do and have used little. Sometimes my boss would be unnecessarily unpleasant.
You have remorse over this, but you have no remorse for all your trolling comments regarding the Democrats in California. Amazing...

Old 09-28-2019, 10:52 AM

4,607 posts, read 2,764,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
The true character of a man is defined as what he does when nobody is looking.
Exactly.

I'm not holier than thou, and I have walked off (accidentally) with my share of pens from an employer, but to outright steal on purpose just because one is close to retirment and the boss is fickle, is no reason to steal.

Good luck with your retirement!

Old 09-28-2019, 11:30 AM

244 posts, read 70,407 times
I was self-employed so petty theft would have been rather pointless.

Old 09-28-2019, 11:35 AM

22,948 posts, read 15,009,627 times
Absolutely not.

Old 09-28-2019, 01:14 PM

17,118 posts, read 4,529,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongobongo View Post
I was self-employed so petty theft would have been rather pointless.
Ah, so you never wrote off personal expenses as business? Never gassed up that car for a personal trip?

If this is true I want you to start the MongoBongo religion and I will join. I want to be purified.

Old 09-28-2019, 01:18 PM

Some of my employees in a small biz where they were treated VERY well ripped me off. Some of my best people....I'd almost say most of them. Exception was my female exec. sec. and my male Irish "super nice guy" customer service long term employee.

My dad taught me a lesson....a bad one in excess, but good in moderation (like most things). He said that some of the employees he had caught stealing were given a 2nd chance and became the best employees he ever had.

I tried that to a degree...but a few kept at it and I had to let them go.

My take, which I think is a degree of realism, is that these people made many millions of dollars (over the years) for the company in general. If they ended up making us a 42% gross profit and stealing 1%......I think I am happy overall.

Old 09-28-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
I pulled that tampon machine in the ladies’ room right off the wall!!! A dollar for a tampon??? And they were the crappy ones! That’s highway robbery! (whatever that means)
"A highwayman was a robber who stole from travellers. This type of thief usually travelled and robbed by horse as compared to a footpad who travelled and robbed on foot;"

In more modern days, it was the stealing of entire truck cargoes here in the states...BIG TIME BUSINESS.

So I guess highway robbery refers to what the original owner felt.......when the truck full of Sony Walkmans was hijacked and emptied.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or