U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2019, 02:12 PM

12,103 posts, read 20,668,629 times

Advertisements

Man, I stole everything that wasn't nailed down!! It all went home with me.

Actually -- we were self employed, so yeah, all our stuff came home with us every day, anyway. And we bought it all. But I can't tell you how many times stuff disappeared from the buildings we cleaned. We bought, and expensed out to one building at least four power washers (so they were the building's, not ours), and each one disappeared. And we had to get approval for each one, and they wanted expensive ones. After the last one walked away, they decided it was cheaper to hire powerwashering companies than buy a 600 dollar one that isn't there the next time they wanted it.

I'd bet this isn't as uncommon as people would think. I worked at a bank, and they closed my branch, and my manager told us if we wanted anything like the typewriters or calculators or office supplies to take them. I loved that calculator and I took it. Upper management was fine with it, because all our stuff had been phased out, and was going to be sent off to be sold or destroyed.

Technically not stealing, but still -- we both walked away with stuff.

Old 09-28-2019, 02:19 PM

8,580 posts, read 11,355,473 times
No way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2019, 04:10 PM

57,694 posts, read 55,873,019 times
No, although I do have a couple of old Blackberries in a drawer that I probably should have turned in. By the time I left, we had iPhones, which I DID turn in, along with the building access card.

Old 09-28-2019, 05:45 PM

42,752 posts, read 3,274,657 times
No, I am trying to downsize not collect useless junk.

Old 09-28-2019, 06:05 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,223,994 times
Never really stole anything. When they moved us around, which was often, we packed up our junk on a Friday afternoon.

The boxes didnt always make it back to the new location, so I wound up with boxes of supplies and misc. stuff in my garage!

Old 09-28-2019, 06:20 PM

7,301 posts, read 4,068,175 times
No. We nurses had to supply out own stethoscope, bandage scissors, & click pens, but stealing wouldn't have occurred to me. Besides, who wants 10 yo aspirin.

Old 09-28-2019, 07:23 PM

845 posts, read 1,882,761 times
No.

Old 09-28-2019, 07:49 PM

10,225 posts, read 12,575,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
no, not even pens. i hated the pens the facility purchased. i bought my own but i did take those home.
I have always purchased my own pens because I hate the office cheap ones.

Uni-Ball Impact 207 This is what I have used for decades and the problem is they keep missing out of my office because everyone else likes em too. Even the owner of the company likes em better than the cheap ones.

I let everyone knows if they want one they are free to take a couple because I really don't care about a $2.50 pen.

Food in the kitchen? The rule is if I see something I want I WILL take it without asking... everyone knows this very well but I always return it two fold. If I see a bag of Stacy's Cinnamon Chips I will take them without asking but what I always do is replace what I do take two fold. If I see your bag of chips I will take it if I want it but when you come in the next day you will find at least two bags.

Everyone knows whatever I bring in please feel free to take and enjoy it if you want. If you want it I really want you to have it.

Where I work coffee, bottled water, chips and soda drinks are all company provided. We do not want you to go hungry or be dehydrated. Oh, and not having coffee in the morning is communistic.

Old Yesterday, 12:53 AM

17,739 posts, read 21,629,221 times
I would never expect to read any truly honest posts to the OP's Question! That's a no-brainer!

Old Yesterday, 03:16 AM

856 posts, read 254,833 times
I never really "kept score", but I'm sure I brought way more stuff in than I ever brought home (I brought in about fifty pounds of copper fittings once, my uncle was a pipefitter and after he passed, my Aunt gave them to me, and my house is all galvanized). So, just that way more than equaled the occasional pen or wiper I brought home inadvertently and just kept. My first Manager (who was in charge of plant security) had an opinion that "If someone will steal a box of pencils, they'll steal a computer". So I always made sure that I never took advantage, and am glad now that I didn't, a clear conscience is a valuable thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or