U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 01:55 PM

6,700 posts, read 5,362,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
I tried the volunteer gig after I retired with the local food pantry.
After a while I felt like I was an "employee" with all the crap they threw my way.
Gave it up and now I just do the one off events.

Coming up in October is our HOA "-beach cleanup day. Going to volunteer for that.
Also the annual city St Paddy's day festival is looking for volunteers for 2020 (one day event) and I might volunteer for that.

But not going to get myself involved in any recurring volunteer stuff anymore.
I don't mind helping with the monthly food bank distribution.

It is heavy work though. Our church has a big truck delivery once a month. Lots of pallets. Some of the bags we have to break up are like 50 lbs of onions or carrots.

Its a drive up thing, so we have to then load up the bags or boxes in the vehicles. It is quite a work out, but since only once a month, not too bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2019, 01:56 PM

5,267 posts, read 3,389,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I'm sitting here trying to enjoy my morning coffee

I have to start getting ready for a fundraiser. It is going to be a hot day out there.

All i want to do is relax and read the latest news on what is going on in the world. Not run back and forth to get things we forgot, or talk down one of my crazy siblings.

This is it for me. Next time i am just going to donate 100 bucks or so and say - knock yourselves out

Really that would be what we all should do in our little group. They can afford it.

Ugh - time to jump in the shower.
I used to donate 9-12 dozen cup o noodles to a local homeless outreach center about every week. Well, after 5-7 months of that, I started noticing that 1. They were now becoming more "Gee, that's nice, but we want this more expensive stuff" 2. If I didn't have it, they weren't so helpful in helping me unload. 3. Still expected me to bring more.

One guy told me nearly a year earlier when I brought some toiletries and shoes (Brand new) "Don't waste your money on these people"

His meaning was "If you give them a pair of shoes, they will NOT seek work, they WILL sell it for booze or drugs"....I finally realized he wasn't being a jerk, he knew them better then I did....

Now I seek to contribute to a charity which gets people out and working and in recovery.

Old 09-27-2019, 01:57 PM

6,700 posts, read 5,362,770 times
Well it wasn't too bad after all today.

What a surprise. Started out sketchy, but then had some new volunteers and it was a breath of sunshine. Really made a difference.

And it is a library group - you would think they would be all sweet and innocent. - lol!

Old 09-27-2019, 02:49 PM

8,623 posts, read 11,405,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
The trick to successful volunteering is to volunteer for what you want to do, not for what others want you to do!
^^^^^^^^What they said

Old 09-27-2019, 03:31 PM

2,906 posts, read 807,183 times
The things I've enjoyed voluteering for in the past:

1) Sundance Film Festival. There are about 1800-2000 volunteers, probably half come into town just to volunteer at the festival. Volunteer jobs range from helping in the film screening theaters in various capacities to back office dealing with foundations to retail store operations to giving directions at bus stops to driving VIPs around town. Volunteer 24 hours and you get tickets something like 8 or 10 vouchers to see films on a space-available basis.

2) Volunteering on the ski-slopes as a host/ambassador/mountain guide. This is a lot of fun, mostly helping visitors who don't know the mountain and need directions/advice/suggestions, etc.

3) Volunteering my house as a venue & arranging catering & cleanup for charity fundraisers. We might raise anywhere from $10K to $20K. We'll do this for several hand-picked charities where I personally believe in their mission & they have done some extraordinary things in the community.

I'm thinking of stopping volunteering at Sundance. It's a bit too crowded.

The ski slope where I volunteered got rid of their volunteer program. Instead, they want to hire me into a paid gig at minimum wage. I don't want to be an employee; I want to volunteer.

Last edited by RationalExpectations; 09-27-2019 at 03:45 PM..

Old 09-27-2019, 04:15 PM

45 posts, read 64,789 times
The reason for volunteering is a two way street. You do it because you like what you are doing while helping an organization reach their goals. I volunteer at a hospital and interact with the patients and visitors. The people I help usually are very appreciative for the assistance I provide. My DW is also very appreciative of my volunteering since it gets me out of the house one more day.

Old 09-27-2019, 04:19 PM

10,466 posts, read 5,763,077 times
Every so often, Colonel Armstrong asks of me to do a job for him down south. Hey, I scratch his back, he looks out for me elsewhere...........................

Okay, that's a joke but it does sort of describe my life for about 15 years as a volunteer scuba diver. I look at it as an extended apprenticeship and in a manner of speaking it was. I had the benefit of working for an experienced dive group, I got introductions to trade shows, and great deals on equipment. HOWEVER, I have been told that if I list that on a resume, list it as volunteer work.

After about 15 years or so, when I had reached practically the top of qualifications, the dive group was bought. The new owner didn't understand this concept of volunteerism, so I started getting paid as defined by one 1099 or another.

These days, I get paid (by another owner) and money is always nice. There is always the possibility, however, that some tasks may come up on the side to what actually involves money and I will probably do them......because I am a professional diver.

Finally, each season I sign up to carry out my various tasks, paid or not. Yes, it can get trying after a few weeks, jumping into the drink even with a wet suit does take it out of you, but I carry through. It is the mission I agreed to.

Old 09-27-2019, 04:53 PM

514 posts, read 1,012,513 times
I was the veteran's representative volunteer for a hospice organization, and as hard as some find this to believe, it was anything but depressing. It was low stress, but high empathy, not a demanding schedule, and a service in great need. My organization treated me and my patients (friends) well with dignity and kindness... Maybe if you ever decide to go back into volunteering, take a look at hospice work... If you have a pet that makes the cut, many folks and patients really loved incorporating their pet into the work. Good luck.

Old 09-27-2019, 05:11 PM

514 posts, read 1,012,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
I used to donate 9-12 dozen cup o noodles to a local homeless outreach center about every week. Well, after 5-7 months of that, I started noticing that 1. They were now becoming more "Gee, that's nice, but we want this more expensive stuff" 2. If I didn't have it, they weren't so helpful in helping me unload. 3. Still expected me to bring more.

One guy told me nearly a year earlier when I brought some toiletries and shoes (Brand new) "Don't waste your money on these people"

His meaning was "If you give them a pair of shoes, they will NOT seek work, they WILL sell it for booze or drugs"....I finally realized he wasn't being a jerk, he knew them better then I did....

Now I seek to contribute to a charity which gets people out and working and in recovery.
At least your story has a method to their seeming madness...My experience with one charity Org was simply flat out unbelievable rudeness, with no possible redemption.

I called a local 'soup kitchen' and tried to get my daughter on board as a volunteer. I asked if she could come in around the Holidays (mostly Thanksgiving and Xmas) to serve meals, cook, clean, whatever during her time off from school... I was told in a terse, gruff manner:

"Yeah, seems people only want to volunteer during the holidays" CLICK.

OOOOOOKKKKKAAAAYYYY... [mod cut] that really took me aback, and still bugs me how that person treated potential volunteers, especially younger people who want to make a difference.

Last edited by volosong; 09-27-2019 at 11:18 PM.. Reason: unnecessary verbiage

Old 09-27-2019, 05:14 PM

203 posts, read 115,160 times
Last year my husband died from complications of Lewy Body Dementia and Parkinson's. My city recently began a boxing program specifically designed for people with Parkinson's. I volunteer at a couple of classes each week. You might think that after 8 years of being his sole caregiver I would be burnt out on it but I enjoy the heck out of this program and I am so happy to see how much all of the participants are enjoying themselves and bonding with each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement