U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2019, 10:56 AM

2,653 posts, read 1,184,551 times

Advertisements

I think volunteering really saved me after my DH passed away. I do 3 shifts a week at the food shelf where it is super busy at times. After a year I was shocked when they asked me to be a team leader, but I love it. I had never thought of myself as the leader type.

I meet so many nice people, fellow volunteers and customers alike. I really like all the people I work with. Some of the customers can be a pain but I practice my people skills on them and have no problems.

What would I be doing if I wasn't doing this? sitting around, goofing off, feeling sorry for myself.

I'm sorry some of you had bad experiences. There is no excuse for misusing volunteers. I don't think I would be happy in the kind of gig where you stand around and wait for someone to tell you what to do.

Old 09-28-2019, 12:28 PM

1,363 posts, read 872,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
The trick to successful volunteering is to volunteer for what you want to do, not for what others want you to do!

Sometimes I wish it were that easy. Two of my close friends from my friends of the library group have asked me to consider filling in a vacant spot on our town's council. Between my two writing groups, the library group, a healthy community group, and volunteering to open/close the Senior Center one day each week, I'm already feeling stretched thin. They both know and understand that I'm not to be contacted before noon because that is my "writing" time.

While I'm flattered that they think so highly of me, I'm finding it extremely difficult to say no. I don't want to disappoint either of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2019, 12:40 PM

4,746 posts, read 4,645,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
...I'm part of CERT, a scuba diver, trained in various emergency medic techniques, and so forth...
(emphasis above added by me)

This "CERT" to which you refer...is this the Community Emergency Response Team? I was part of it when I was still in the working world in SoCal, but now that I've moved to North Idaho, I've discovered that they do not have CERT here and wondered how I could get one started. If the same CERT, I did not know they expanded into Texas or elsewhere outside California.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 09-28-2019, 12:46 PM

10,399 posts, read 5,712,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
(emphasis above added by me)

This "CERT" to which you refer...is this the Community Emergency Response Team? I was part of it when I was still in the working world in SoCal, but now that I've moved to North Idaho, I've discovered that they do not have CERT here and wondered how I could get one started. If the same CERT, I did not know they expanded into Texas or elsewhere outside California.

Well, unfortunately, we got half way through our training program and then it stopped. When I ran into the instructor, I was told there would be more training when they got the funding.

Si-gh!

Old 09-28-2019, 01:00 PM

15,493 posts, read 8,873,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCCougar View Post
Didn't you pay your taxes?

I'm one of the "little people" (unlike our current president) who has dutifully paid taxes my entire life. Yes, I'm grateful to this country that enabled me to find employment and for reasonable security, etc., but I think I paid my share. I'm not big into volunteering.
Quote:
Originally Posted by delunsa View Post
^^^^Tds
Irrational much?

Old 09-28-2019, 01:00 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,596,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmp61616 View Post
I volunteered at an art fair a few years hoping to meet people and make friends. All I ever wound up doing was working. I also tried volunteering at the annual Alzheimer's walk, but they had so many volunteers there was little to do. This year I skipped volunteering at both events.
Your post reminded me of an experience I had years ago, as a volunteer at an art fair. That day, the weather was awful—rainy, cold, etc. During the last hour of a very long Saturday, I counted more volunteers than patrons attending, so I told the organizer that after I helped clean up, I was going to go home since I was no longer needed.

The next day I got an email saying that if I sign up to help at an event, then I have to stay the entire time.

That was the last time I signed up with that group.

I’ve done animal rescue/fostering for many years, which makes a bigger difference and is gratifying (though stressful at times).

Old 09-28-2019, 01:06 PM

4,746 posts, read 4,645,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Well, unfortunately, we got half way through our training program and then it stopped. When I ran into the instructor, I was told there would be more training when they got the funding.

Si-gh!
Good program. In SoCal, it was geared toward dealing with the aftereffects of earthquakes. That's the obvious danger to the public in that area. Up here in North Idaho, there are no major natural disasters which would affect a large portion of the population, so maybe that is why there is no CERT here. Training in SoCal was conducted by the Fire Department.

Hang in there and advocate for the program's continuance. It's worthy.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 09-28-2019, 02:22 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,990,625 times
I hear everyone re volunteering--a mixed bag.

My serving on a non-profit Board for 12 years is coming to an end at year's end...I really like this group and the work but during the last year, I found it was no longer "sparking joy." So I told them I was retiring (sounded nicer than resigning). No arguments from anyone...they all felt 12 years was a goodly time.

With the coming year, I plan to take a year's sabbatical to concentrate on writing and getting more fit and healthy. "My" time...what a concept. Will see how it goes...have to tie my hands down so I don't raise them to volunteer during my sabbatical year...

Old 09-28-2019, 03:19 PM

7,127 posts, read 3,928,553 times
I volunteered...now I'm vice president of the organization. Since I wouldn't go away they made me an officer. There is a lesson there.

Old 09-28-2019, 04:03 PM

162 posts, read 26,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I volunteered...now I'm vice president of the organization. Since I wouldn't go away they made me an officer. There is a lesson there.
Yeah, nobody wants the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement