U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2019, 08:00 PM

198 posts, read 32,321 times

Advertisements

I'm happy not being a joiner and just lone-wolfing it to take care of problems around my neighborhood on my terms and schedule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2019, 06:13 AM

6,305 posts, read 3,080,037 times
That reminds me delunsa, when I'd go on my walks I used to remove all the street spam signs that seemed to pop up like mushrooms after rain showers.

You know those little signed pushed into the ground or on telephone poles. CEO pay from home, looking for investor apprentice, win a free iPad, etc. I'd yank 'em out and tear 'em down as I went along. Even had a cop stop me once who thought I was on a rampage against society but just ended up laughing and giving a thumbs up when I explained what I was doing.

Old 09-30-2019, 11:36 AM

1,321 posts, read 487,548 times
You'd have to pay me to volunteer.
And I don't work cheap!

Old 09-30-2019, 12:14 PM

4,597 posts, read 4,855,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delunsa View Post
I'm happy not being a joiner and just lone-wolfing it to take care of problems around my neighborhood on my terms and schedule.

Yes, I am not a joiner either and I'm clearly an introvert. But I am conflicted about volunteering, should, want to, don't want to, shouldn't and on and on and on.

I remember when 2 friends retired and I mentioned to them about volunteering. OMG, the looks on their faces was priceless. Both of them said, hell no. At the time, I was not retired yet, I thought how awful of them. Now, I get it.

Old 09-30-2019, 12:24 PM

684 posts, read 345,098 times
Volunteers are replaceable with the next crop of newly retired looking to find themselves and/or for something to do. I gave up tutoring because it was too time consuming preparing the lessons and giving 2 lessons for 2 hours a week. But it took the student slacking off to make me do it without guilt.
Now I do student ESOL testing once a week for 4 hours. Like this better for now.

Old 09-30-2019, 03:11 PM

198 posts, read 32,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
That reminds me delunsa, when I'd go on my walks I used to remove all the street spam signs that seemed to pop up like mushrooms after rain showers.

You know those little signed pushed into the ground or on telephone poles. CEO pay from home, looking for investor apprentice, win a free iPad, etc. I'd yank 'em out and tear 'em down as I went along. Even had a cop stop me once who thought I was on a rampage against society but just ended up laughing and giving a thumbs up when I explained what I was doing.
Cool. I call them 'bandit' signs, and yeah, they're trashy looking.
I used to use a rake to get them, now I use a electrician's pole with a pry bar attached to it.

Old 09-30-2019, 03:51 PM

2,694 posts, read 4,600,119 times
Too often, people and organizations value your time and talents at exactly the amount they are paying for them. This leads them to treat volunteers badly or waste their time or fail to appreciate their generosity.

Old 09-30-2019, 06:06 PM

37,658 posts, read 46,484,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
Too often, people and organizations value your time and talents at exactly the amount they are paying for them. This leads them to treat volunteers badly or waste their time or fail to appreciate their generosity.
Exactly. When I was 64, I was let go from my job, which I was good at, when my bank got bought out. After staying for 3 months to train a succession of “banker Barbies” I left, very bitter. Now, as as free labor, I’m in demand again. Nope.

Old 09-30-2019, 06:31 PM

2,694 posts, read 4,600,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Exactly. When I was 64, I was let go from my job, which I was good at, when my bank got bought out. After staying for 3 months to train a succession of “banker Barbies” I left, very bitter. Now, as as free labor, I’m in demand again. Nope.
Sorry to hear this and hope you get the last laugh.

One reason animal rescue/fostering is gratifying is that the animals appreciate every minute you give them and give back everything they can.

Old 10-01-2019, 04:28 PM

3,668 posts, read 3,259,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Chickens View Post
I am not of retirement age, but I have been a stay at home mom for over fifteen years now. I've been wanting to do some volunteering now that my kids are both out if elementary school and they don't have parents come and help in the classes anymore.

My first attempt was volunteering at the food bank. I did a walk through, checked everything out, and said that I'd like to volunteer. They took my name and number and told me to call the woman in charge of the volunteers. I called her up and got her voice mail. I left a message. No call back. I waited a few days and tried again. No call back. So I went back down to the food bank which was currently open. They made me wait outside behind a line of other people trying to get in for free food. I finally left.

Weeks later I got a call back from the lady, but with it not being a number I recognized I let it go to voicemail. By the time I heard the message I called back, but the woman didn't answer, and she never called me back again. Good riddance!

So then last year my daughter who was a freshman in high school joined FFA. She absolutely loved it. Within a few months I got a call saying that they were thinking of cutting the FFA program, but if we could form an FFA Alumni organization that we could help support the FFA students and advisor and keep the FFA alive. Nothing like some guilt to bring parents in.

So I went to their meeting where there was a decent amount of people, maybe fifteen to twenty. The woman I talked to on the phone told us everything we needed to do to become a real nonprofit organization. The next meeting they were going to elect officers and then send in the paperwork. I did NOT want to be an officer, so I skipped that meeting but showed up for the next meeting, and every meeting since. It's been several months now.

Here's what happened. The amount of people from the first meeting dwindled down to a small handful by the fourth meeting. People who were elected officers decided that it was just in name only and never showed up to do their job. When I questioned about finances since our treasurer was MIA, I got immediately asked to be co-treasurer which I agreed to, only because I needed to know where the money was coming and going. The real treasurer never showed up again and I became responsible for everything to do with the money and banking. However I did enjoy that, or else I wouldn't have accepted at all.

Within months the President and Vice President got into huge verbal blowouts both in person and through text, along with the Secretary. The President was caught in multiple lies regarding information she had given the alumni that was untrue. The situation went from bad to worse.

Meanwhile we were working our butts off fundraising like crazy to help pay for the students to go to Nationals in Indianapolis. It felt like every month there was some new fundraiser to work, not to mention selling tickets for. We worked eight long days at the local fair making Pork Loin meals and selling raffle tickets. Valentine's sweetheart dinner and silent auction. Bake sales. Farmers market. Etc. The majority of the Alumni didn't show up to help, or they would flit in and out, but only myself and the Vice President and Secretary were there consistently and for the entire time. I was burned out and the fighting between members just got worse.

At our last meeting the FFA advisor shut us down. He said that we can try again in a year if we so desire, but we need a break. We've made almost 10k in nine months for the FFA students and they do get to go to Nationals this year, so at least there's that.

I have no intention of joining up again. I've decided volunteering is not for me. I've got enough volunteer experience to put on a resume. At least if I'm going to have this much work and deal with all of this nonsense, I should get paid for it .
My experiences have been similar. I'm a SAHM mom too and not ready to retire for a few years, but this thread caught my eye. I realized very early on that I would never make it as a PTA mom. Those moms aren't nice. I did the scout thing for a couple of years, but was getting more work dumped on me than I could handle. I tried to bow out gracefully, but the folks involved didn't want to allow that to happen so I pulled my kids out. I've joined a fundraiser at the school a few years back that uses some of my skills that I enjoy. There has always been some drama with the moms, but I've mainly stayed out of it until this year when some folks dropped the ball. Another mom and I teamed up and made a load of money while organizing and running the show this year and we're going to try and put a plan in place in the spring to make it run smoother next year. If that doesn't happen, we may take our talents elsewhere. I'm not giving up just yet because I really like what I do when I'm not dealing with drama.

I like doing things on my own terms. IMO, you don't have to formally volunteer to help others. The people around us need help every day too. Sometimes just saying hi to someone or lending a hand to someone can be more helpful than dealing with an organization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement