U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2019, 06:59 PM

37,746 posts, read 46,613,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
From the day we arrived in America I volunteered and devoted about 39 years to various groups, as a helper, as a board member, fundraiser, newsletter editor, crisis counselor, crisis management training , etc. I enjoyed every minute of it but I am happily retired from volunteering
But when you turn people down, do you feel guilty? This is what I still work at. I was competent at getting things done. I still would be, but I just donít want to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2019, 10:46 PM

13,792 posts, read 24,007,388 times
I volunteer with the local and state police, a half day a week for each (8 hours total per week).

I enjoy it, and don't feel burdened at all. I like having a little bit of structure in my life.

I have met a lot of fellow retirees, and some employees, and made some decent friendships out of it.

So I have no problem with it at all. I keep it to a limited engagement, but I found it to be very enjoyable.

Old 10-02-2019, 05:43 PM

3,642 posts, read 1,737,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
But when you turn people down, do you feel guilty? This is what I still work at. I was competent at getting things done. I still would be, but I just donít want to.
No, why should I feel guilty? I find it very nice if someone asks and I let them know I appreciate being considered, thank them but let them know I am not available and wish them the best.

Old 10-02-2019, 09:01 PM

6,700 posts, read 5,359,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
No, why should I feel guilty? I find it very nice if someone asks and I let them know I appreciate being considered, thank them but let them know I am not available and wish them the best.
I was asked to be part of a board dealing with school issues. I said No. Thanks but no thanks. I did say i had other commitments. I felt bad at first and got over it quickly.

Old 10-04-2019, 04:11 PM

37,746 posts, read 46,613,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I was asked to be part of a board dealing with school issues. I said No. Thanks but no thanks. I did say i had other commitments. I felt bad at first and got over it quickly.
I know, right? Others want to unburden themselves by delegating. This is fine if they are paying you, or if you get joy out of doing the task for nothing, but otherwise. Nope.

Old 10-04-2019, 04:56 PM

6,084 posts, read 5,491,502 times
First of all you should never volunteer unless you agree with the mission. I hate when people post that others should volunteer to meet people or keep busy.

I have been on the board of 3 non profits. You can't have people come in and do what they want to do and with who they want to do it with. Certain things need done. Ideally every one will do every thing at one time or another. No job should belong to anyone. This is a problem with FIPs. Formerly important people. That was then and this is now.

I don't believe in school and hospital volunteers. I have heard things about people I know from hospital volunteers that I had no business knowing. In schools you may have a kid that isn't all that bright. Do you want the other mothers knowing that? I never thought of that one until it was pointed out to me by teachers.

Churches are the worst in my experience. Gossip, not wanting to miss out on what is going on, bored, is not a reason to volunteer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement