U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 06:46 AM

6,700 posts, read 5,359,319 times

Advertisements

I'm sitting here trying to enjoy my morning coffee

I have to start getting ready for a fundraiser. It is going to be a hot day out there.

All i want to do is relax and read the latest news on what is going on in the world. Not run back and forth to get things we forgot, or talk down one of my crazy siblings.

This is it for me. Next time i am just going to donate 100 bucks or so and say - knock yourselves out

Really that would be what we all should do in our little group. They can afford it.

Ugh - time to jump in the shower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2019, 07:57 AM

14,387 posts, read 6,931,902 times
I haven’t done a single volunteer gig, unless you count helping the bridge club occasionally.

Old 09-27-2019, 08:14 AM

6,350 posts, read 3,104,816 times
I was looking into volunteering for a local group that helps immigrants passing through town on the trains. I have no clue what my responsibilities would be.

Old 09-27-2019, 09:27 AM

2,801 posts, read 1,790,312 times
A long time ago (like when I started my first summer job at age 18) I quickly realized that more than anything else, I hate having to show up somewhere at a given time on a regular basis. But going against my own common sense, when I retired, I decided to try a volunteer gig singing in a group that went to rest homes and hospitals. I quickly realized that on rehearsal and performance days (although we were not allowed to call them "performances," they were "sharings,") I just couldn't stand having to watch the clock and get ready to go. It felt like being in prison. So I quit. I'm so happy that now I don't have anything I'm committed to attending on a regular basis. Too much like work.

(On a related note, some months after I stopped doing the choral gig, I was both amused and chagrined to hear a new, elderly friend who lives in assisted living announce, "Every Christmas, we have to tolerate these singing fools that think we want to hear them perform Christmas carols. They're terrible, and we're all sick of it!")

Old 09-27-2019, 10:59 AM

28,515 posts, read 40,487,079 times
I did some volunteer work as a teenager and found myself doing almost everything. First and last volunteering gig for me.

Old 09-27-2019, 11:08 AM

43,502 posts, read 3,334,372 times
Take a break, if you feel burned out.

Old 09-27-2019, 11:36 AM

1,722 posts, read 391,539 times
I tried the volunteer gig after I retired with the local food pantry.
After a while I felt like I was an "employee" with all the crap they threw my way.
Gave it up and now I just do the one off events.

Coming up in October is our HOA "-beach cleanup day. Going to volunteer for that.
Also the annual city St Paddy's day festival is looking for volunteers for 2020 (one day event) and I might volunteer for that.

But not going to get myself involved in any recurring volunteer stuff anymore.

Old 09-27-2019, 01:04 PM

20,504 posts, read 19,497,364 times
I tutored ESL for a while and I loved it. It was only once a week and since I had been a teacher it made an easy transition into retirement. The place gave us special training and even a resource library to use.

Friends of the Library? No. In two different towns all they really wanted is your money (dues) and then a few chosen ones get to play. I was never invited to participate.

Tried volunteering in a church thrift shop but it entailed sitting there for hours. I guess I would have done it but I got sick and then I just never bothered going back. Wasn't that interesting because the younger generation doesn't want stuff so it wasn't ever busy. At all.

A few times I've brought armloads of used plastic bags to the senior center so they can bag up leftover meals for people. I don't mind that but then they asked me if I wanted to do kitchen work, like peeling potatoes. Ugh. I can't think of much that I would like less. I'm thankful someone does help them with their meal prep but it's not for me.

Would love to tutor ESL again though but there's nothing around here. I checked. You know what I would really like to do? Teach high school kids how to write cursive, lol.

Old 09-27-2019, 01:07 PM

8,964 posts, read 11,152,435 times
The trick to successful volunteering is to volunteer for what you want to do, not for what others want you to do!

Old 09-27-2019, 01:23 PM

4,614 posts, read 4,875,480 times
I volunteered when I was working. A couple of days a month at a food pantry at a church. It was actually nice, a few hrs., putting the food out, cleaning up etc. THEN the scheduler called me and literally wouldn't stop calling me about taking over the scheduler job. I was in my 50's and everyone else was 70 and older. I saw the writing on the wall about this one. The woman scheduler was such a pain I stopped going all together, which was really too bad.

Now, retired and I think about volunteering now and then. But when i think about having to go I know i would be very unhappy about it. Heck, I grouse about having to go to the Dr. or even the grocery store.

I know how important volunteering is and at some point i would like to think i would get over myself and join in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement