U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 08:17 PM

14,233 posts, read 8,899,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAN'TSITSTILL View Post
I am retired and I have always had this vision of living in a very busy downtown loft, above a quiet store. I would like to give up driving and walk, or bike everywhere. NYC is out of the picture because it is too expensive, and crowded but I havent been to too many places where this is possible. Anyone know of something or somewhere that may be more of a reality? It is just me, no kids! It would be fun to walk to the stores or coffeeshops.
New Orleans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 03:48 AM

1,063 posts, read 648,707 times
Quote:
I am retired and I have always had this vision of living in a very busy downtown loft, above a quiet store. I would like to give up driving and walk, or bike everywhere. NYC is out of the picture because it is too expensive, and crowded but I havent been to too many places where this is possible. Anyone know of something or somewhere that may be more of a reality? It is just me, no kids! It would be fun to walk to the stores or coffeeshops.

You can very much live this existence in Providence, R.I. namely the east side of the city. It will not be a cheap lifestyle but certainly nowhere near the expense of NYC or Boston. Several of the regular posters on the R.I. board live on the eastside of Providence and can provide you a great deal of info regarding what it is like to live there.

Old Yesterday, 05:08 AM

3,470 posts, read 1,200,479 times
Guthrie, Oklahoma
Denton, Texas
Boulder, Colorado
Wichita, Kansas

Old Yesterday, 06:44 AM

2,579 posts, read 3,773,290 times
According to the OP's limited public profile she/he lives in Appleton WI,
or did when they started their account 5 years ago,
or they were randomly assigned to the Appleton WI Zip Code.

But assuming Appleton WI is correct:
What about Madison WI? Yes, I know college towns commonly have insanely high real estate costs. Any Senior Apartments above downtown shopping in Madison or other local cities? Living near Ann Arbor I know there are lots of Seniors who are drawn to the city because of all the campus activities, and housing options are starting to serve that market.

Old Yesterday, 07:08 AM

684 posts, read 291,635 times
Need to know where regarding climate. We have many cities in Upstate, NY that would work for the OP, but he or she might not want to be here in January. Saratoga is an amazing locale, hopping place with performing art center, horse racing, golf, farm markets, quaint, historic architecture, and the perfect mix of city, suburban, and country.

Old Yesterday, 07:31 AM

29,212 posts, read 63,488,477 times
Quote:
...of living in a very busy downtown loft, above a quiet store.
...I haven't been to too many places where this is possible.
ANY actual city of reasonable size will be able to offer this sort of situation.
If the neighborhood is already gentrified... be prepared to pay for that.

What ELSE do you want (need) aside from what's in your vision?
Most of those things will also exist in most places... but not all.
Make a list nd then investigate.

Old Yesterday, 08:16 AM

10,615 posts, read 9,577,511 times
OP: if you prefer to walk or bike make sure you choose a location that does not experience snow/ice in the winter.

Old Yesterday, 08:55 AM

15,493 posts, read 8,867,615 times
Chicago has many areas that are quite walkable like:
https://www.walkscore.com/IL/Chicago/Lakeview
and
https://www.walkscore.com/IL/Chicago/Lincoln_Park

Here is the app that gives walkability score but unfortunately you have to know the address, you can't search for all scores over 95, for example (that I know of anyway):
https://www.walkscore.com/android/

Old Yesterday, 09:05 AM

957 posts, read 260,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
Need to know where regarding climate. We have many cities in Upstate, NY that would work for the OP, but he or she might not want to be here in January. Saratoga is an amazing locale, hopping place with performing art center, horse racing, golf, farm markets, quaint, historic architecture, and the perfect mix of city, suburban, and country.
Love Saratoga Springs: lovely busy in the summer, more quiet in winter with a lot of activities and a convenient trolley and buses! College town!
Just get a good LLBean clothing and slip resistant boots for winter!

Old Yesterday, 10:18 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,036,121 times
Quote:
Chattanooga TN

Have fun looking
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement