U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2019, 03:54 PM

2,280 posts, read 982,389 times

Advertisements

Downtown Portland, Oregon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2019, 03:59 PM

25 posts, read 57,946 times
"I lived in a town of about 40,000 for 35 years and it had a quaint and restored downtown of about 3-4 blocks. The commercial buildings were mixed-use with lofts on the second floor over stores or offices. It was not a super busy place but it was always active and very walkable with sidewalk cafes and shops along the shaded sidewalks. I could see taking a loft apartment in that situation."

Would you mind telling me where this was?

Old 09-28-2019, 04:15 PM

695 posts, read 297,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
Love Saratoga Springs: lovely busy in the summer, more quiet in winter with a lot of activities and a convenient trolley and buses! College town!
Just get a good LLBean clothing and slip resistant boots for winter!
Itís a special place, for sure. I lived there for a few years, but had to get closer to work and family about a half hour south, down 87. Tried to rep you but they wouldnít let me.

Old 09-28-2019, 06:23 PM

39,512 posts, read 15,644,156 times
Providence, RI has these micro apartments in a renovated mall downtown.
https://www.businessinsider.com/amer...tments-2016-10

Old 09-28-2019, 07:55 PM

1,275 posts, read 410,080 times
Washington DC is cheaper than NYC and a whole lot more livable.

Rhinebeck NY is a pretty town with a nice downtown. It has nice restaurants.

An independent film theatre https://upstatefilms.org/now-playing-in-rhinebeck.

Bard College in Red Hook has SummerScape https://fishercenter.bard.edu/spiegeltent/

Historic houses and events https://hudsonvalley.org/historic-sites/ and Wilderstein Historic Site - Hudson Valley House Museum and https://www.olana.org/ and https://www.nps.gov/vama/index.htm andhttps://www.nps.gov/hofr/index.htm

It has a good hospital (very important). It has an Amtrak station for trips to NYC or beyond. Lots of apple and fruit farms too.

Old 09-28-2019, 11:58 PM

7,144 posts, read 3,960,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAN'TSITSTILL View Post
Would you mind telling me where this was?
Sure --- Jefferson City, MO (state capital). But i'm sure there are plenty of smallish towns going through a renaissance these days. Sometimes the local mall that threatened the downtown business district went belly up, or nearly so, and people returned to the old downtown areas and rehabbed the empty spaces.

Old 09-29-2019, 12:24 AM

776 posts, read 238,767 times
Quote:
I am retired and I have always had this vision of living in a very busy downtown loft, above a quiet store. I would like to give up driving and walk, or bike everywhere. NYC is out of the picture because it is too expensive, and crowded but I havent been to too many places where this is possible. Anyone know of something or somewhere that may be more of a reality? It is just me, no kids! It would be fun to walk to the stores or coffeeshops.
Yes, your vision is very rational and that is the way my beloved MIL lived. She lived right on the main drag of a small to medium sized city. She had everything just a short walk away and right above a retail shop. She loved it. I loved her a lot and always thought she was smart for planning her lifestyle dwelling in an environment where she felt most comfy and the basics were easily convenient.

Any place you go I believe you will find lofts/flats in a suitable area that will enliven and enrich your life. I applaud you for identifying in advance exactly what you envision for yourself. Let us know what you decide! I can't wait to start planning mine as well.

Old 09-29-2019, 01:22 AM

28,508 posts, read 40,454,574 times
Downtown Des Moines, Iowa. But you have to handle winters...

Old 09-29-2019, 04:15 PM

4,958 posts, read 3,439,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Sure --- Jefferson City, MO (state capital). But i'm sure there are plenty of smallish towns going through a renaissance these days. Sometimes the local mall that threatened the downtown business district went belly up, or nearly so, and people returned to the old downtown areas and rehabbed the empty spaces.

At least three of the malls in area I am in were welcome when they started. And then came along a person who decided he wanted to be King. So he built a huge mall, was given huge tax breaks, said it would be good for the economy, eventually caused the closing of at least three smaller malls that were in neighborhood areas (north, east, west) that were wonderful for those of us who lived in one of the neighborhood areas. For me, and many of the people I know, refuse to go to the "Taj Mahal" to shop for more than a few reasons. One being crime, especially after dark.

Old 09-29-2019, 05:59 PM

6,701 posts, read 5,349,003 times
Quote:
I am retired and I have always had this vision of living in a very busy downtown loft, above a quiet store. I would like to give up driving and walk, or bike everywhere. NYC is out of the picture because it is too expensive, and crowded but I havent been to too many places where this is possible. Anyone know of something or somewhere that may be more of a reality? It is just me, no kids! It would be fun to walk to the stores or coffeeshops.
San Antonio Texas

My cousin and her husband and another friend finally made the leap and moved to the down town area.

They love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement