U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2019, 06:02 PM

5,568 posts, read 3,230,954 times

Advertisements

That formula would not work for me, walking quickly becomes a hardship because of assorted pains. Driving is easy, but I don't go very far anymore.
Being 85 might be a factor.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2019, 11:40 PM

14,011 posts, read 10,061,151 times
State College, PA is a vibrant community. A bit pricey if you're a student. Tons of activities and options.

Old 09-30-2019, 01:56 AM

142 posts, read 59,083 times
I don't live there, but I've visited a friend a couple of times who lives in Eugene, Or. She owns a nice little house about a block away from the Willamette River, and is within walking/biking distance of downtown and the University. There are lot's of local businesses, restaurants, and coffee shops.
Don't know if there are any loft opportunities, but it is a beautiful little area.

Old 10-02-2019, 04:40 PM

25 posts, read 57,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Providence, RI has these micro apartments in a renovated mall downtown.
https://www.businessinsider.com/amer...tments-2016-10

Ty for this video, sooooo neat and interesting to me. It actually makes me think about what a person really needs in life to be happy.

Old 10-02-2019, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I own a mixed-used Commercial / Residential building that is located in the center of a town. It has storefronts on the ground level and apartments upstairs.

I do not have any vacancies at this time.

I have single-occupancy efficiency apartments that go for $350/month if the tenant pays for utilities, or $450/month if I pay for utilities. There is a laundry room on-site available to all tenants. A metro bus stop is located immediately in front of the building. A restaurant/bar is across the street. A chain pharmacy, a VFW post and American Legion post are all located within a block away.

This is located in Old Town Maine.

I will look into this, tysm!!

Old 10-02-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2trvl View Post
Greenville, SC
This is one of the areas I would be interested in checking out a little more, any more info you can give me? I will go to the SC posts and do a little more digging.
Hoping to see you there.......lol.

Old 10-03-2019, 02:17 PM

13,165 posts, read 15,656,299 times
"very busy downtown loft" and "above a quiet store" seem mutually exclusive to me. I mean the store itself might be quiet, but I think there would be lots of noise in a very busy downtown.

Old 10-04-2019, 10:36 AM

1,004 posts, read 159,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAN'TSITSTILL View Post
I am retired and I have always had this vision of living in a very busy downtown loft, above a quiet store. I would like to give up driving and walk, or bike everywhere. NYC is out of the picture because it is too expensive, and crowded but I havent been to too many places where this is possible. Anyone know of something or somewhere that may be more of a reality? It is just me, no kids! It would be fun to walk to the stores or coffeeshops.
You didn't say what your price range or space requirement is, but DH and I walked past this building recently while we were catching a show in town and were like . There are older but still nice, less expensive buildings of course. This is toward the high end. You might want to check out the Greenville-Spartanburg forum here on City Data for more info about what's available in the area.

https://thegreeneapts.com/

Old 10-04-2019, 10:47 AM

2,145 posts, read 2,753,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Chicago has many areas that are quite walkable like:
https://www.walkscore.com/IL/Chicago/Lakeview
and
https://www.walkscore.com/IL/Chicago/Lincoln_Park

Here is the app that gives walkability score but unfortunately you have to know the address, you can't search for all scores over 95, for example (that I know of anyway):
https://www.walkscore.com/android/
I was going to suggest Chicago, and I see reneeh has already done it.

My son and his wife live and work in Chicago. They've never owned a car -- never needed one. Rents in Chicago (for nice but not luxurious apartments) are a small fraction of what they cost in New York.

Old 10-04-2019, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barb712 View Post
You didn't say what your price range or space requirement is, but DH and I walked past this building recently while we were catching a show in town and were like . There are older but still nice, less expensive buildings of course. This is toward the high end. You might want to check out the Greenville-Spartanburg forum here on City Data for more info about what's available in the area.

https://thegreeneapts.com/

Pretty ironic that I have been all over SC, NC and never once seen Greenville. Maybe that would have been my golden ticket.......lol.
Ty for the URL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement