Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2019, 05:19 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,758,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
Touche' And yes, the parental gifts have stopped. It appears the gifts were doing more harm than good - in the long run.
This is my thinking too. I only gift air fare tickets now. That’s for birthday and Christmas gifts. They both love to travel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2019, 08:29 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,577,283 times
One of my sons (38) has bought two rental homes. One already produces income & the other pays for itself. His plan is to buy more rentals and retire early. He also has a 401K but I have no idea how much is in it. Pays cash for his cars and pays off cards monthly. I'm pretty proud of him!

Old 10-01-2019, 08:49 PM

13,654 posts, read 9,711,429 times
Here's a dissenting view. Suppose that the OP's children comported with all of the wise advice, saving diligently etc., so that by 45 or so, they would be "financially independent". Pray tell: how would a bad day in the stock market affect them emotionally? What, too skittish to invest in stocks? At 45, there may be 40+ years remaining. Countenance the risk, or watch your millions evaporate, even if you spend nothing.

It is better to be a high-earner with atrociously bad spending habits, but a stable job, and already advanced years... than a younger frugal go-getter. If I were doing it all over again, I'd spend the first decade or so, of early-adulthood, in utter debauchery and dissipation... then settle into a humdrum cubicle job, and die at my desk.

Old 10-02-2019, 09:57 AM

23,219 posts, read 29,044,905 times
First, perhaps, you might need to tell the "kids" to stop watching depressing, shocking, fearful World News stories, and stop hearing of our spiraling foreign debt load! That would be a good start!

Old 10-02-2019, 10:14 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,927,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Mine figured it out when I stopped giving them money. I still give gifts but make it constructive - groceries, new shoes or a coat, auto repair, etc. One Christmas before I announced the change I paid off son's credit card to give him a clean start and daughter got an equal amount of cash. He didn't like that much but I think it was a good eye-opener for him.

It's a relief to me that we don't have to do that anymore. Of course I'm still here and would never let either of them flounder but the reasons have to not be of their own making and they know that. They're old enough, experienced enough and have had enough help to know what the good decisions are.

In my opinion neither of them are planning well enough for their senior years but at this point it's no longer my business. It's too much work at my age to try to run my adult children's lives. I'm just here to give the emotional support.
Exactly the same approach here. Ready to help if needed in a crisis but they all know that they need to exhaust their own self reliance and initiative before coming to us for cash. Same approach my parents took with us.

Old 10-02-2019, 12:12 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
The $1 million figure is so last decade, and reflects a pretty minimal lifestyle. Even today, if you want to accommodate periodic major purchases like a replacement vehicle or two, you will need more like $2 million. Forty years from now, with inflation, your kids are going to need $2.5 million to $5 million in retirement savings.

For that matter, Mom and Dad better hope we don't go back to 5% inflation, or they will lose half their retirement income in only 10 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement