Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2019, 08:47 AM

3,262 posts, read 4,997,171 times

Advertisements

I usually fall asleep around 11:00, and if I don't need to set an alarm, I wake up on my own around 8:30-9:00. On Wednesdays I do my volunteer work in the mornings, so I have to set an alarm to wake up at 6:00.

Sometimes I wish I were an earlier riser -- I used to be a morning person, and now when I wake up at 8:30-9:00 it feels like I've wasted half the day sleeping. I think if I took down my room-darkening drapes I'd wake up earlier with the sunlight, but I have to have the drapes closed against the bright light from the street below, or I'd never sleep at all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2019, 08:49 AM

37,589 posts, read 45,950,883 times
I’m not yet retired, but I often think about this, and if my habits will change after I retire. I am a night owl and always have been, but I am also one of those people with too much going on in my life, so I’ve always hated going to bed because I always want to do “ one more thing”. I really hope that once I am done with the requirement of having to get up get ready and drive into work every morning, that I’ll be more inclined to hit the sack earlier and get up whenever I please. I don’t have dr. appts to deal with, but I do like to spend a couple of hours at the gym every day so maybe that will be my new morning routine. We’ll see!

Old 10-15-2019, 09:06 AM
JRR

8,159 posts, read 5,651,590 times
On the days that the stock market is open, my alarm is set for 7:45. Other days, no alarm; I get up whenever I feel like it.

On the other hand, my wife is a later sleeper. Unless she has some kind of appointment, it is usually well past 9 before she is up.

Old 10-15-2019, 09:19 AM

126,262 posts, read 19,028,275 times
I always was an early morning bird and still love to get up by 5 am now that I am retired.I am able to get a lot done after an early morning leisurely breakfast.The funny thing is I never needed an alarm clock,unless I had to travel in the night.My rythm of my daily morning routine woke me up sharp at 5 am.

Old 10-15-2019, 09:19 AM

33,220 posts, read 26,412,135 times
These days I'm usually, not always, but usually too tired to stay up past 9 or 10 pm so I'm usually ready to get up around 6 to 6:30 am and do some stretching and loosening up movements, and do a few exercises, then eat breakfast while seeing what's on City-Data.

Old 10-15-2019, 09:26 AM

7,682 posts, read 1,270,193 times
I'm definitely a night owl. On a "good" day I'm in bed by midnight. I will invariable wake up between 2:30 and 3 AM. I'll hit the bathroom and then either back to bed, or more often, I'll fire up my phone or chrome book and play my games. Once in a while I'll read--reading at night seems to "put me out" so if I have trouble falling asleep I might do that.

My wake up time varies widely. Usually it's around 9 AM but sometimes I never get back to sleep. Once in awhile I'll take an afternoon nap. I find that the weather affects me greatly. I'm prone to barometric pressure headaches which really make me miserable and prevent me from getting any sleep. Interestingly, I've been having trouble sleeping this week. My neighbor (female) also express she also had trouble sleeping as did my friend across town. Turns out it was a full moon this week which is associated with sleep disturbance in some individuals (https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...03402?via=ihub)

When lack of sleep catches up with me I get massive brain fog. One time I slept for 12 hours and didn't get up until noon!

Outside of Ambien which I took years ago, there's nothing medicinal that can put me to sleep. Most of the OTC medications for sleep has the opposite effect--I become "wired and tired" and I get restless.

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea and tried going the CPAP route. The mask was uncomfortable as hell, the machine made noise, and I STILL woke up in the middle of the night. I would rather die in my sleep than use that bloody machine!

Old 10-15-2019, 09:52 AM

7,034 posts, read 6,285,179 times
When I lived in Minnesota I stayed up late and some up late. I don't know why it changed but when I moved to Arizona I began waking early and going to bed early. I'm usually up by 6:00am.

I like it except I live in an apartment and don't feel free to make any type of noise until 8 or so. Many times I would like to do laundry or other chores earlier but, I just wait.

Old 10-15-2019, 09:55 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,466,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
On the days that the stock market is open, my alarm is set for 7:45. Other days, no alarm; I get up whenever I feel like it.

On the other hand, my wife is a later sleeper. Unless she has some kind of appointment, it is usually well past 9 before she is up.
I usually get up somewhere from 5:30 am to 9:00 am. If the markets are open, I may get up before 6:30 (Pacific time) to make coffee and follow what's happening. But not always, and sex will always take priority! I don't set an alarm.

My wife will usually get up soon after I do, as she likes to write in the mornings. We tend to keep the afternoons free for everything else, once the markets close at 1 pm local.

Old 10-15-2019, 10:09 AM

1,458 posts, read 1,168,725 times
I've always been a night person. I'm comfortable working around here in the evening and later. Then I sleep till around 9:00. One thing I've noticed, I'm a very quiet person in the morning. I do not like noise and a lot of 'busy activity'. So that is one thing that deters me from getting up...DH is a morning person to the extreme. He has the tv on and then the internet loud... and days when he is working he has a zillion questions and requests for me. If I was alone I would definitely get up earlier. It's pretty bad when a couple isn't very compatible.

I can't get awake easily no matter what time I've gone to bed unless the sun is up. I found that closing my blinds behind the curtains makes the room dark in the mornings and I have more trouble getting 'alive' in the morning. Funny that the dark doesn't bother me at night when I'm still up.

Old 10-15-2019, 10:12 AM

4,536 posts, read 3,751,833 times
Sunrise gets us up at 6:30-7:00. We used to wake up earlier when we lived in NY which is further east, with the sun coming up sooner. After we moved, I would get up before the sun and would wait for the it to come up for the first month before I adjusted. When we occasionally stay up very late, we might sleep a half hour longer.

DH is still working and I have no problem getting up at 4 a.m. and fixing him a coffee to go on mornings he has an early flight. I’m usually asleep if he has a return flight that gets him home around midnight. My love is on an early bird schedule.

Last edited by jean_ji; 10-15-2019 at 10:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement