Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2019, 11:14 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,034,158 times

Advertisements

This is just food for thought for those considering a CCRC as a retirement option at some point.

One of the things that often is missed as folks consider their options is the mechanics of paying for it. Especially if there is a sizable buy in required.

Don't focus on the value of a CCRC but on the need to come up with a large sum of money in a economy that is currently unknown.

Yes you may have the equity in your house to pay for the buy in but will it be a great housing market that you can sell at will? Might you need a bridge loan to pay the buy in? Will the finance board at the CCRC lower your ability to be accepted as a result of the loan?

Yes you have the money in your retirement account to use if necessary but that will require a major tax hit as both principal and ROI will be taxed.

Cash do you have after tax money to pay for it?
Lots of questions!

Plan in advance.

Thoughts?

CCRC=Continuing Care Retirement Community!

Last edited by TuborgP; 10-15-2019 at 11:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2019, 11:31 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
I think the standard answer is going to be only a relatively affluent subset of the population will have the resources required to buy-in without depleting other necessary resources.

Old 10-15-2019, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I think the standard answer is going to be only a relatively affluent subset of the population will have the resources required to buy-in without depleting other necessary resources.
Sure, whatever the big picture is has little relevancy to your individual need if your goal is to enter one

Old 10-15-2019, 01:11 PM

1,557 posts, read 1,047,879 times
The CCRC that we are considering will allow us to pay 20% down with the balance due in 6 months which will hopefully give us time to sell our house.

Although this particular CCRC does not have bridge loans, I plan to check with a lending institution regarding that. I do not want to take money out of our IRA's.

It is my understanding that most people use the proceeds from the sale of their primary residence to pay the buy in costs.

Coordinating it all will be tricky. I know someone whose place became available much earlier than they expected and they were really rushed to get downsized and move in.

Old 10-15-2019, 01:27 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,957,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefret View Post
The CCRC that we are considering will allow us to pay 20% down with the balance due in 6 months which will hopefully give us time to sell our house.

Although this particular CCRC does not have bridge loans, I plan to check with a lending institution regarding that. I do not want to take money out of our IRA's.

It is my understanding that most people use the proceeds from the sale of their primary residence to pay the buy in costs.

Coordinating it all will be tricky. I know someone whose place became available much earlier than they expected and they were really rushed to get downsized and move in.

What do they base the entrance fee on, do you know?

Old 10-15-2019, 01:29 PM

1,557 posts, read 1,047,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Entrance fee is based on the size of the house/cottage/apt.

Old 10-15-2019, 01:34 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,935,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Difficult to say as different facilities in our local area seem to have wildly varying costs, both Buy-In and Monthly Fee costs. I don't see any correlation between size and cost when comparing different facilities. Within any one facility there is a direct correlation between size and cost.

In our case, if we go forward with a CCRC in another decade or so, I foresee it being a combination of equity from the sale of our current home, plus a portion of the Capital Growth Assets in our Retirement Plan. We will NOT liquidate any of the Income Assets in our Retirement Plan for a CCRC purchase.

Old 10-15-2019, 03:33 PM

If things go according to plan we and we entering a buy in based program we would use after tax dollars for the buy in fee and sell the house accordingly. Right now we are looking at a monthly fee structure with no buy in. That is our first choice and it eliminates the pressure to sell the house.
This is one of the reasons monthly fees are growing more popular.

By that time there will probably be newer and more flexible entrance structures.

Old 10-15-2019, 04:55 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,110,590 times
How? Save lots in advance.

The CCRC near me is supposed to be pretty good. Buy in costs are in the range of a half to a million. Monthly is roughly $10,000. I do not have the figures for a couple retiring there. I do know that you will not be accepted with major health issues.

Old 10-15-2019, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
How? Save lots in advance.

The CCRC near me is supposed to be pretty good. Buy in costs are in the range of a half to a million. Monthly is roughly $10,000. I do not have the figures for a couple retiring there. I do know that you will not be accepted with major health issues.
Are you in Virginia or Raleigh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement