U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 05:13 PM

148 posts, read 429,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
LOL

Another good comparison between 'stock market' and rentals [besides the obvious risk difference]; is that stock market gains have traditionally been harder to shelter from taxes. Whereas rentals tend to shelter themselves, and can easily provide sheltering over other earned incomes.

Hey FBK, I understand much of how the sheltering using income and rental properties works, however would this only be if they are held by an owner (and not say an LLC, S Corp, etc.)?

I.e. isn't there only so much and so many years you can claim losses from them, particularly limits in terms of using them to negate other earned incomes?

Wasn't this the case back in the 70's and 80's, execs, doctors, attorneys, and other professionals using investment properties and income properties to show and take huge losses and apply them against their substantial other earned incomes, and didn't the government subsequently pass some law which severely restricted this? I'm going to have to dig it up...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 05:19 PM

148 posts, read 429,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladys99 View Post
Buy real estate! Husband and I bought acreage in upscale area when I was in my mid 20's. We decided we would do better by subdividing property even though we would have made out great by selling the large parcel.......anyway 2 years ago we sold one lot for 985K. First one sold at 325K 10 years ago. We have one more lot left and will wait for next real estate wave since lots are getting scarcer. we've seen 3 real estate waves during our ownership so we know it'll come. They don't make any more land. I retired 2 years ago at age 53. Did I mention we paid 65K for 16 acres? we paid more than that to develop it. good luck
Yeah, hindsight is 20/20 though. May I ask what general area was this land purchased in? Near a resort area perhaps, such as Vail or Aspen Colorado?

It was upscale roughly 30 years ago (yet only 4K per acre) when you bought it, or you just got lucky?

Old 06-10-2008, 06:22 PM

4,105 posts, read 6,430,072 times
Forget retirement! Invest in yourself. Find something that you really like doing and invest in educating yourself in that field. Your will be much happier. Find a job you like and you will never have to go to work again.
Don

Old 06-10-2008, 07:12 PM

2,317 posts, read 4,642,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
I'm in my mid-20's, the only debt I have is my school loans. I don't pay rent, maxed out the 401k, and started a roth ira at fidelity. What else do I invest my money in? Right now, I make under 40k but that should rise. I spend nothing and have nonexistant social life thanks to living in the suburbs away from friends in the city. I only drive to work. The rest, I walk.
that is good you are planning now,I did the same thing in my 20's,,,took a city job with 20 year pension,maxed out 457 plan (like a 401 but for city workers)..it's great you have a plan,but still..live your life,we are not promised
anything..save money...spend money..have fun..hope for the best and be
prepared for the worst,but plan for tommorrow,and live for today...

Old 06-10-2008, 09:30 PM

30,721 posts, read 49,529,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karkyco View Post
Hey FBK, I understand much of how the sheltering using income and rental properties works, however would this only be if they are held by an owner (and not say an LLC, S Corp, etc.)?
That is correct

Quote:
... I.e. isn't there only so much and so many years you can claim losses from them, particularly limits in terms of using them to negate other earned incomes?
For many years such was the case. No longer.

There once was a rule of thumb, 2 years out of 3, 3 years out of 5.

alas, it is no longer.

Quote:
... Wasn't this the case back in the 70's and 80's, execs, doctors, attorneys, and other professionals using investment properties and income properties to show and take huge losses and apply them against their substantial other earned incomes, and didn't the government subsequently pass some law which severely restricted this? I'm going to have to dig it up...
Yes, back when I first learned to be tax exempt, we would run a business in the red for two years, then shut that business down for a year to go 'fallow'.

Run five or six businesses at a time, each year shutting down one.

What fun it was too

thankfully such behavior is behind us now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement