Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2020, 10:19 AM

5,449 posts, read 4,043,852 times

Advertisements

If you need a place to discuss the current situation in general, this is the place. I know people get frustrated when I delete their posts for being off topic in the other threads. So anything goes here, doesn't need to be about retirees specifically. All I ask is that you refrain from politics, praise or criticism of the administration or news outlets, etc. Those posts will be deleted as they lead to bickering.

Off topic posts from other more specific threads will be moved into this one. Let's see how it works. Hopefully we won't need it for too long.

Old 03-22-2020, 11:07 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times
Maybe we could talk about how it's impacting our communities? Our whole state is on a stay at home order. One case became ten in two days at one of the hospitals I used to work at. I'm worried about my friends there. It's just starting to ramp up here. We live in Cook County Illinois close to Chicago.

There are 102 counties in Illinois and Covid is reported in 25 counties as of last Friday. We haven't shopped in Cook County for three weeks now. I track the virus and drive rural for groceries instead. We found a place an hour and a half away to shop tomorrow, but that may change. The two different counties we picked to shop in the last two weeks showed up on the Covid list the next day.

You might say I'm being overly cautious, but I'm looking at this clinically like I did for 25 years in health care dealing with bugs like this. You respect the heck out of them and give them a wide berth when you see first hand what they do to people.

Are you running out of toilet paper yet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2020, 12:00 PM

Got about 22 rolls still, lol. Here all schools, libraries are closed, bar/restaurants are take out only. Haven't been in a store in a while.

Old 03-22-2020, 01:53 PM

497 posts, read 571,206 times
I am been home alone since March 9th. So far I am doing fine. I am exercising, talking with friends via phone, and reading. The mayor of this 2 million plus city has been proactive since day 1 and before. So far, so good. There has been about 70 confirmed cases but no deaths in my city. My biggest concern: daughter-in-law is a doctor and complains about having so few gowns and masks. She could bring home the virus on any given day. Crazy! I do not visit with neighbors, son, grandkids, doctors....no one!.

Old 03-22-2020, 02:28 PM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times
I asked this elsewhere and did not get an answer, so I am asking it again here:

What is the point of continuing to wash surfaces if you are self-isolating and if you have NO visitors? After we come home from our once-a-week grocery shopping, wash our hands thoroughly, put the groceries away, and again wash our hands thoroughly, what more needs to be done and why?

Also, regarding produce and groceries washing, if you put the groceries away and don't touch them for at least 24 hours, wouldn't the virus (if it existed) die on its own?

Thanks for any answers to these questions!

Last edited by katharsis; 03-22-2020 at 03:31 PM..

Old 03-22-2020, 02:47 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,110,417 times
I live alone with two cats (they never go outside).
I've gone to the grocery store two times in two weeks.
After I get home I wash my hands but see no reason to keep doing it if I haven't gone anywhere. Any germ I might encounter here has been here a long time.

I do wash hands after using the bathroom. When preparing food.

What I really need is a kick to my butt to get some chores done around here. I hate to admit this but I have become a bit of a slob.

Old 03-22-2020, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I live alone with two cats (they never go outside).
I've gone to the grocery store two times in two weeks.
After I get home I wash my hands but see no reason to keep doing it if I haven't gone anywhere. Any germ I might encounter here has been here a long time.

I do wash hands after using the bathroom. When preparing food.

What I really need is a kick to my butt to get some chores done around here. I hate to admit this but I have become a bit of a slob.
Oh, I hear you! We have eight 12" x 12" x 12" boxes of junk mail and old receipts (like grocery store receipts!) to go through and sort. I started on the first box today, and I found junk mail going back to 2012!!

I do get dressed every day, but it is very tempting to just stay in my pj's!! (My husband and I are self-isolating except for a once-a-week trip for groceries.)

Old 03-22-2020, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I asked this elsewhere and did not get an answer, so I am asking it again here:

What is the point of continuing to wash surfaces if you are self-isolating and if you have NO visitors? After we come home from our once-a-week grocery shopping, wash our hands thoroughly, put the groceries away, and again wash our hands thoroughly, what more needs to be done and why?

Also, regarding produce and groceries washing, if you put the groceries away and don't touch something for at least 24 hours, wouldn't the virus (if it existed) die on its own?

Thanks for any answers to these questions!

I agree. I live alone also. I have taken to leaving all outer clothes at the front door and changing into a robe when I get home, if I have been anywhere near people. Talked to my sister today, she mentioned that she leaves her groceries (non-perishable) in the car for a few days in case there is virus on them. (She has an elderly person she cares for). I think I will start doing that as well.

Old 03-22-2020, 03:33 PM

I just found this online that tells about recommended hygiene during a pandemic:

https://www.bucks.edu/media/bcccmedi...flucontrol.pdf

Old 03-22-2020, 04:08 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Best thing for everyone is to start working on increasing your immune system. Nothing will help not even the vaccine. People with flushot still die of the flu so don't bet on the vaccine will be able to save everyone. By end of this year the virus will be infected on more than 50% of the population without a vaccine. It maybe better to get it when the weather is warmer so the virus doesn't incubate as quickly and allow your immune system to develop the antibodies quicker. Antibody allows the body to quickly identify the pathogen and swarm to it than play hide and seek with the virus.

Don't sit home and eat unnecessary calories, eat less and stay active.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement