U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 10:01 AM

2,517 posts, read 9,906,722 times

Advertisements

My wife is Costa Rican and she has family there. When I retire (13 years from now) I was thinking about moving down there and hanging my hat there. It seems nice, low cost of living, safe and awesome weather. Anyone thinking of doing the same or has done the same ? I want to here about your experiences or what you have heard about Costa Rica. I see that Panama and Costa Rica are the top 2 international places for Americans to retire to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 07:31 PM

5,371 posts, read 9,856,251 times
Not really thinking about it, but I could see myself living there just fine. Spent 3 weeks there in a Spanish Immersion program and found the Ticos and Ticas to be incredibly nice and the nature aspect of CR is so beautiful--the butterflies and the birds. Fruits and vegetables were very affordable and delicious...the only downside was I found the food a bit boring after awhile...Gallo Pinto with everything...I'm sure there are international restaurants available in the more touristed areas, but I wasn't in those areas...I like ethnic foods a lot and didn't find too many places serving this type of food (Italian, Indian, Thai, Vietnamese, Japanese, etc) . Found some good pizza, though. I do think I would miss the States, though. With all our warts, this is my home.

Old 05-06-2008, 02:29 AM

3,871 posts, read 15,507,299 times
Hey heydade! I have a really unusual resource for you that might, or might not, be interesting and useful!

I have had contact with a man here in the Seattle area who is actually a builder and an architect, although he didn't go through all the state folderol to get the license, and designates himself as a solar designer. A very bright, centered, warm person, as is his wife. He has co-designed low-energy "green" houses, with the vacation/retirement owners, to be built in Costa Rica. I apologize but I can't find that specific internet reference right now.

This is his business' website:
Country Plans LLC overview - who we are
The house drawn on the top of that page is their home; I have stayed there and it's both beautiful and built to last at least a lifetime. (And the nose thing really is a joke!)

I thought if you were interested in communicating with a bright, multi-faceted person with an amazing background, about building in, or living in, or whatever about Costa Rica, you would be able to email him from the business website. Have fun!

Last edited by allforcats; 05-06-2008 at 02:41 AM..

Old 05-07-2008, 04:46 PM

414 posts, read 1,469,235 times
Isn't it very humid in Costa Rica, year round?

Old 05-07-2008, 09:30 PM

2,369 posts, read 7,757,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleenh54 View Post
Isn't it very humid in Costa Rica, year round?
Costa Rica and Central America are in a tropical climate zone, with rainy season from roughly May to October and a drier season with less rain from November to April. Temperatures in CR and all of central america are highly dependent on altitude. Along the Pacific or Caribbean coast areas, temps are high year round and humidity is high due to the surrounding warm ocean waters. By warm, I mean mid 80s to low 90s in the day and somewhere in 70s at night. However, if you travel to the central highlands (where San Jose is located) at altitude of roughly 3000 to 4000 feet, daytime highs are usually upper 70s to low 80s, and nights drop to a comfy range of low 60s or so. Due to proximity to the equator, there is little seasonal temperature variation. The humidity is still present in the central highlands, but it is less oppressive because the temperatures are not as high. It's quite comfortable almost any time, and homes don't need heat or air conditioning, just some fans to move the air around a bit.

Old 05-09-2008, 02:00 PM

414 posts, read 1,469,235 times
Good to know, recy.

Old 05-11-2008, 10:36 PM

13,784 posts, read 23,798,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
My wife is Costa Rican and she has family there. When I retire (13 years from now) I was thinking about moving down there and hanging my hat there. It seems nice, low cost of living, safe and awesome weather. Anyone thinking of doing the same or has done the same ? I want to here about your experiences or what you have heard about Costa Rica. I see that Panama and Costa Rica are the top 2 international places for Americans to retire to.
No personal experience but my brother-in-law went down there for a couple of weeks to evaluate it as a retirement option last year. Though he generally liked the place, he said that there are property ownership rules, and odd allowances for occupancy by others, that made him too queasy about the potential move.

I don't know the specifics, but it might be something that you would want to check out before making a commitment.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:00 AM

1 posts, read 6,073 times
Retiring in Costa Rica
Why you should consider it

Many people are now seeking to retire in Costa Rica - often called the “Jewel of Central America”, and its popularity is growing.

[CENTER][CENTER]So, why are more people than ever looking to retire in Costa Rica? The major reasons for retiring to Costa Rica are:[/CENTER][/CENTER][LIST][*][FONT=Arial]Close proximity to the US [/FONT][*][FONT=Arial]Climate [/FONT][*][FONT=Arial]Natural beauty [/FONT][*][FONT=Arial]Culture [/FONT][*][FONT=Arial]High standard of living for a very low cost [/FONT][/LIST][CENTER][CENTER]Quite simply, social security checks go a lot further in Costa Rica than they do in the US.[/CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER][CENTER]Geographical Location
For many people retiring to Costa Rica, one of the major advantages is its geographical proximity to the U.S.
[/CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER][CENTER]Costa Rica is only a few hours flying distance to the southern U.S. mainland. Flights from Costa Rica to the US and Europe are frequent - making traveling easy. In addition, the time difference between Costa Rica and most US cities is just a couple of hours.[/CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER][CENTER]Cost of Living
Another reason for retiring in Costa Rica is that the cost of living is so much less than in the US. [/CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER][CENTER]For example, dining out will cost you around $12, and a maid will cost you just $300 a month. General household items are about 60% cheaper than in the US, and utility bills are also far cheaper. In fact, you can quite easy live comfortably on a couple of thousand dollars a month. [/CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER][CENTER]Tax Status
When retiring to Costa Rica, one of the major advantages for Americans is its tax haven status - Americans retiring in Costa Rica do not pay income taxes on social security received from the U.S.
[/CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER][CENTER]Cost of Real Estate
When you retire in Costa Rica, you’ll enjoy affordable housing - houses of an equivalent standard to those in the U.S. are available at a far cheaper cost.
[/CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER][CENTER]While real estate has risen in price over the last few years, you can find small, basic homes from around $80,000 – with a choice of homes to suit your pocket and your lifestyle. Costa Rican law and its constitution protect private ownership of land - and foreign nationals get the same rights as citizens. Costa Rica has a history of stability and democratic government. [/CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER][CENTER]The comfort of a stable political environment - as opposed to other Latin American countries, means retiring in Costa Rica gives you peace of mind, due to your legal rights. Of course, if you buy a house when retiring in Costa Rica you become part of the real estate boom, that has seen houses bought for $30,000 15 years ago, rise to around $700,000 today. [/CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER][CENTER]Healthcare
For many years, Costa Rica has provided healthcare services to visitors from around the world - where they’ve been able to get world class healthcare at a fraction of the cost of that available in the US and Europe.
[/CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER][CENTER]When retiring in Costa Rica, most people take out the medical insurance offered by the government’s insurance company - this offers cover at just $900 per year for an adult male, aged between 45 and 50 - and this covers 80% of medical costs!
In fact, the United Nations consistently ranks Costa Rica’s health services the best in Latin America - and in the top 20 worldwide.
[/CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER][CENTER]When retiring in Costa Rica, it’s nice to know that as you get older, you can enjoy some of the best healthcare around - at a fraction of the cost of the US or Europe. [/CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER][CENTER]The Country
Costa Rica is a very small country of around 32,000 square miles - and a population of only 4 million. Many people retire to Costa Rica for the slower pace of life - and because it’s one of the safest countries in the world. In addition, the infrastructure is first class.
[/CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER][CENTER]Costa Rica is also a beautiful country with diverse scenery. With stunning sandy beaches, mountains, rolling hills, beautiful lakes and huge volcanoes - Costa Rica is truly a country of beauty and wonder.[/CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER][CENTER]Another attraction for many retiring to Costa Rica is the climate. For example, if you want the heat of the beach you can have it. However, if you like a cooler, less humid climate - then you may prefer the "Eternal Spring" of the Central Valley and San José. Here the average year round temperature is in the 80’s during the day – falling to the 60’s or 70’s in the evening. [/CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER][CENTER]You Deserve It!
Retiring in Costa Rica offers people a different, less stressful way of life, in a beautiful country - and at a cost that will allow you to get much more for your money.
[/CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER][CENTER]When you retire, you deserve a quality lifestyle - and that’s what Costa Rica can offer you. [/CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER][CENTER][FONT=Arial]Discover Costa Rica today![/FONT][/CENTER][/CENTER]

Last edited by Sunnydee; 05-22-2008 at 02:33 PM..

Old 04-23-2010, 01:13 PM

1 posts, read 4,400 times
Well, I'm new to this site but I'm extremely interested in retiring in Costa Rica and I'm hoping someone can answer some of my basic questions:

1, I'm retired Military. Is there any one location in Costa Rica where the military retirees prefer?
2, It's just my wife, myself and my 4 labs. What if any are the restrictions on dogs?
3, Becasue it's just my wife and I, what (in general) does it cost a month to live comfortably?
and
4, What is the dollar ratio to the local currency?
oh and
5, how do I look up any forums pertaining to military retirees in Costa Rica.

I have filled out my profile and my contact information is there. Not sure yet if anyone answers here whether or not it will be forwarded to my in-box so I'll keep checking back.

Thanks in Advance

Jim (Dinky Dau) Lorenzo

Old 04-23-2010, 05:46 PM

2,847 posts, read 1,957,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinky Dau View Post
Well, I'm new to this site but I'm extremely interested in retiring in Costa Rica and I'm hoping someone can answer some of my basic questions:

1, I'm retired Military. Is there any one location in Costa Rica where the military retirees prefer?Escazu
2, It's just my wife, myself and my 4 labs. What if any are the restrictions on dogs?Need shots and vet certificates, get quarantined then in
3, Becasue it's just my wife and I, what (in general) does it cost a month to live comfortably?depends on where you live, many areas you could live ok for $1500 a month, some areas would be double that amount. It is not as cheap as some might think. Autos are double the price because of duties, car insurance is double, gas is more than double. Housing about the same as Texas or Arizona prices, maybe a bit more there
and
4, What is the dollar ratio to the local currency?about 515 colones to the dollar, when I moved there in 1996 it was 135 colones to the dollar, lots of inflation, but everything is sold in dollars.

check this out, local english newspaper in Costa Rica Costa Rica Newspaper, The Tico Times, News, Costa Rica Elections 2010, Costa Rica Real Estate, Travel–Publisher of Two Central American Newspapers–Costa Rica News
oh and
5, how do I look up any forums pertaining to military retirees in Costa Rica.

Costa Rica – International Living

and this one

Costa Rica, Retirement; Can not find Ameicans living in Costa Rica and money,

and this

Moving To Costa Rica - Living In Costa Rica - Real Estate In Costa Rica

I have filled out my profile and my contact information is there. Not sure yet if anyone answers here whether or not it will be forwarded to my in-box so I'll keep checking back.

Thanks in Advance

Jim (Dinky Dau) Lorenzo
I lived there six years, my brother moved there and is still there since 1996. See above comments
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement