U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 03:27 PM

4,628 posts, read 9,275,263 times

Advertisements

Tressa, good news for you! You sound like someone who is thankful and appreciative for what they have. BTW, what kind of house did you folks order up (stick-built, manufactured, etc.)? And will you stay where you are for the long haul? I'm guessing you're pretty happy there!

GEMKEEPER - excellent post! Thank goodness you and your beloved have the health to go out and enjoy! And reading that post certainly helps me remember how fortunate I am.

I took a huge cut in money when I retired - albeit a tad bit early - as I would guess, most of us did. So, there's a tradeoff. I would much rather have the freedom to exlore, live and enjoy than socking away cash! Well, I was never too bright with money I could not be happier; I still work, but only at the jobs I choose - that's a huge, irreplaceable freedom, isn't it???

All the best to those of you who have retirement dates coming up. I agree - you won't regret a minute of it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 04:19 PM

1,195 posts, read 4,994,187 times
I ordered up a manufactured home, took their design tore it apart and designed our own. My husband is not retiring early as he will be 55 with 30 years in with the State, but there's others that chose to work later for a bigger paycheck. Like my previous post says my husband is going out the most amount of checks, prefer to have a bunch of smaller checks that just few bigger ones. So all is good

We will become snow birds, here in Alaska during the spring and summer and down in Northern Nevada and where the wind blows us for the winter months, my new house will be in Nevada we will have a condo here in Alaska

Old 05-09-2008, 07:21 PM

8,236 posts, read 18,516,359 times
Did you say TWELVE days ??!!!
You will live in both places? How long of a drive is that for you ,tressa ? Alaska seems so very far away to this Eastern Long Islander.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 05-09-2008, 09:16 PM

We will fly and drive, when we drive we will take up our truck and camper but in the winter time when we go up to visit we will fly. The drive can be done in 3 days but prefer to stretch it out for 5-7 days

Old 05-10-2008, 05:43 PM

8,236 posts, read 18,516,359 times
Wow! Now eleven days of work left. Almost the SINGLE DIGITS! I have 31 so it'll be a little while until I am there . Do you remember when it was a huge deal to be out of the single digits so far as age goes ? I remember lording it over my brother that I was ten (double digits) and he was only eight. Oh,dear...... if we only knew....

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 05-10-2008, 11:13 PM

Boy you have that right, when we are young we want the time fly so we could get older like you say out of that single digits.

We started clearing out my husbands shop today made a huge dent in it, nice when the guys that bought the house come over to help move you out. Next weekend will be our last in this house, this has been a great home for us a great location, good view of the inlet and like I said before we never even advertised our house.

The sun is up until about 11 at night so you just don't know when to quit.

Old 05-11-2008, 08:10 AM

2,317 posts, read 4,639,647 times
12 days left,excellent! I remember my last day,It was like a sureal experience
but I didn't look back,moved on to enjoy life, You guy's are going to love It!

Last edited by Retired Law 08; 05-11-2008 at 12:09 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 05-11-2008, 11:36 AM

4,628 posts, read 9,275,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coartist88 View Post
12 days left,excellent! I remember my last day,It was like a sureal expeience
but I didn't look back,moved on to enjoy life, You guy's are going to love It!
I think that's the key, don't look back and move on! I know a lot of retired LEOs who go right back into it, working at the fed. jobs, etc. - "for some extra cash." I get the sense that's not what you chose to do! The money might be great, but there comes a time where you just need to cut the apron strings, and move on . IMHO, the people who did move on are far happier!

If you don't mind answering, where did you move from? Was there a big change in the weather, and did you know folks in PA before you went there? Just curious....

Old 05-11-2008, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBee View Post
I think that's the key, don't look back and move on! I know a lot of retired LEOs who go right back into it, working at the fed. jobs, etc. - "for some extra cash." I get the sense that's not what you chose to do! The money might be great, but there comes a time where you just need to cut the apron strings, and move on . IMHO, the people who did move on are far happier!

If you don't mind answering, where did you move from? Was there a big change in the weather, and did you know folks in PA before you went there? Just curious....
Of course I don't mind answering.I moved from Ny,After doing 20 years with
NYC Law enforcement.What made me pick PA was the cost of living,the quality of life,affordable houses and taxes,pension friendly,only tax my pension federal.I had did alot of research on the area,but I also knew people that retired from my job that moved not too far from me which helped. The weather is only about a 10 degree difference,I'm retired 6 mos but have the house 2 years and haven't had a bad winter yet.I also picked PA because It
is not too far from NY, 2 hr drive,But In my opinion when you retire,yes move
on to enjoy life,I do not miss It at all! When I think back I started working since high school thru college non stop. So I look at It this way..........
I retired In my forties,In good health,with a pension....priceless!!!!

Old 05-14-2008, 05:16 PM

How many more days now?lots of luck to you guy's!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement