Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2020, 01:35 PM

4,276 posts, read 5,932,563 times

Advertisements

I am under 65, retired, with no health issues, not incarcerated, and not a Health Care Worker or Educator. This places me in Group 4 for vaccine receipt.

My wife is still working for the schools as a Special Education Aide. This places her in Group 1B. She will probably be vaccinated either through her School District employer or through the larger County-wide Intermediate School District. If I hadn't retired I would also be in Group 1B as a Critical Infrastructure Employee of a Utility company.

I joke that if I rob a Liquor Store and become incarcerated, I will Leap Frog into Group 2 which includes all Prison Inmates. The priority sequence is Group 1A, Group 1B, Group 1C, Group 2, Group 3, and dead last is Group 4.

Has anyone heard how we will be notified that our eligibility group can be vaccinated?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2020, 01:46 PM

2,869 posts, read 1,148,568 times
Funny you should ask, and thanks for doing so. This discussion took place here this morning. Both of us are considered "essential" by our respective businesses, though we are on a part time status.
We checked our state health website, and it was clear as mud.
I appreciate any information as well.

Old 12-23-2020, 03:14 PM

43,059 posts, read 18,223,725 times
I'm in the last phase....general public so I'm not worried about being notified because at the rate it's going I'll be getting my vaccine in 2023.

Old 12-23-2020, 03:15 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,949,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
]
Has anyone heard how we will be notified that our eligibility group can be vaccinated?

You assume the states are that organized, even though they've had the better part of a year to do so. Surely you jest.

Old 12-23-2020, 03:28 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,949,985 times
Well, here's our county vaccination plan. Maricopa County is the fourth most populous county in the nation.

Beyond the Phase 1A people, it seems they have no freakin' idea how to notify the retired people in Phases 1B and 1C. Maybe they have access to the census. We can hope.

Old 12-23-2020, 04:23 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times
Maybe our doctors will know. I plan on calling my doctor after the holidays and if they don't know, then I'll call my state representative who seems to handle the COVID issues. Another thought: CVS and Walgreens. They'll be giving the shots.

It would seem like we'd need some sort of ID like a birth certificate or driver's license if we're going by age. I think calling the state rep may be the most likely way to get an answer, if there are any answers yet.

Old 12-23-2020, 04:24 PM

17,339 posts, read 11,266,024 times
I'm not sure why anyone needs to be officially notified but maybe I'm just being naive. Every state will be different of course.

All of this will be all over the news as it takes place. Anyone can call their doctor or state or county health offices to find out when they will be eligible for the vaccine as the time approaches. I've been receiving emails about twice a week from my insurance (Kaiser) keeping me updated about who is currently getting the vaccine and future plans.

With all that said, I plan on getting an antibody test before getting it just in case I may not need one. If I do already have antibodies, I can always get vaccinated a few months down the road from most people. I heard this morning there will be another 100 million doses in July by two additional companies.

Old 12-23-2020, 04:37 PM

I wouldn't worry anytime soon. Millions of doses are "sitting on ice" because no one knows what they are supposed to be doing.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/milli...202751315.html
Millions of COVID-19 vaccines are sitting unused in U.S. hospitals and elsewhere a week into the massive inoculation campaign, putting the government's target for 20 million vaccinations this month in doubt.

As of Wednesday morning, only 1 million shots of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine had been given, about one-third of the first shipment sent last week. Over 9.5 million doses of vaccines, including Moderna's, have now been sent to states, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Old 12-23-2020, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Maybe our doctors will know. I plan on calling my doctor after the holidays and if they don't know, then I'll call my state representative who seems to handle the COVID issues. Another thought: CVS and Walgreens. They'll be giving the shots.

It would seem like we'd need some sort of ID like a birth certificate or driver's license if we're going by age. I think calling the state rep may be the most likely way to get an answer, if there are any answers yet.
The drugstores expect to have the shots by early spring when it's available to the general public.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/14/covi...ly-spring.html

Walgreens and CVS Health officials said they expect to have Covid-19 shots for the general public at their stores in the early spring.
Rite Aid, Kroger, Publix and H-E-B — some of the other retailers involved in the vaccine effort — said they're still waiting to hear when they will receive vaccine doses and can begin offering the shots.

Old 12-24-2020, 08:19 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,498,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Well, here's our county vaccination plan. Maricopa County is the fourth most populous county in the nation.

Beyond the Phase 1A people, it seems they have no freakin' idea how to notify the retired people in Phases 1B and 1C. Maybe they have access to the census. We can hope.
So TEACHERS in their 20s and 30s are going to get the vaccine before vulnerable 65+ people? Damn but their union is strong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement