U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-14-2021, 07:18 AM
 
1,443 posts, read 1,854,231 times
Reputation: 2798

Advertisements

OP,
I love my hearing aids that are Bluetooth compatible with my iphone 7. They automatically adjust to adapt to the noise level in a given situation. Expensive yes, but, I got my life back.

Part of my routine every night is to clean off the receiver part that goes in the ear with a small brush and a tissue to remove any ear wax that might build up on the outside of the receiver. In addition to that I have an appointment with my audiologist every six months to have them professionally cleaned to remove any ear wax that may have gotten inside the receiver. In addition to that the audiologist checks my ears to remove any wax buildup. All this is included in the cost of my hearing aids for as long as I have them at no charge. When I had to delay my 6 month check up due to Covid last year I noticed a gradual reduction in my hearing until I was able to get in to have my hearing aids cleaned.

If there is no one who can do this on a daily basis for your mother I doubt hearing aids will help. You might want to have her doctor check her ears for ear wax the next time she has a checkup. You would be surprised how just a small amount of ear wax buildup can reduce your level of being able to hear.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-14-2021, 09:02 AM
 
Location: New Jersey
9,862 posts, read 13,795,642 times
Reputation: 10295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post
OP,
I love my hearing aids that are Bluetooth compatible with my iphone 7. They automatically adjust to adapt to the noise level in a given situation. Expensive yes, but, I got my life back.

Part of my routine every night is to clean off the receiver part that goes in the ear with a small brush and a tissue to remove any ear wax that might build up on the outside of the receiver. In addition to that I have an appointment with my audiologist every six months to have them professionally cleaned to remove any ear wax that may have gotten inside the receiver. In addition to that the audiologist checks my ears to remove any wax buildup. All this is included in the cost of my hearing aids for as long as I have them at no charge. When I had to delay my 6 month check up due to Covid last year I noticed a gradual reduction in my hearing until I was able to get in to have my hearing aids cleaned.

If there is no one who can do this on a daily basis for your mother I doubt hearing aids will help. You might want to have her doctor check her ears for ear wax the next time she has a checkup. You would be surprised how just a small amount of ear wax buildup can reduce your level of being able to hear.
While this sounds great, you paid for it within the cost of your hearing aids.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2021, 11:22 AM
 
Location: Florida
6,706 posts, read 4,158,437 times
Reputation: 12531
I had an experience at a gathering where a lady had an amplifier that was a pocket size device wired to ear pieces. When she turned it on it caused the conventional hearing aids that some others in the room were wearing to SQUEAL loudly. This lady had her 100th birthday about a year ago. The group has not met since Covid came along.

At the VA they installed an app on my I-phone that enables me to adjust my hearing aids. I use it a lot.

When watching TV I find that with foreign shows I have to turn the sound louder. I will be 87 in another week.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2021, 11:32 AM
 
1,443 posts, read 1,854,231 times
Reputation: 2798
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
While this sounds great, you paid for it within the cost of your hearing aids.
Absolutely! And I have no problems with that because I got my life back. I can't tell you how many people I encounter who complain of their hearing aids are no longer working and did not know that they need to be cleaned every 3 to 6 months depending upon how much ear wax you produce. (Not just the everyday cleaning on the outside of the receiver you need to do yourself.)

The other thing that makes a huge difference for me is the Bluetooth connection with my iphone. The app on the iphone automatically adjusts my hearing aids based upon the noise level in any given location. Would not spend money on any hearing aids that does not have the ability to work with an app on my iphone. My hearing aids are now a part of my everyday life - like wearing glasses if you need them.

With regard to the OP's 90 year old mother - I don't think hearing aids at any price would work for her unless there was someone living with her who could help her with them on a daily basis.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2021, 12:49 PM
 
Location: On the wind
1,045 posts, read 489,403 times
Reputation: 2216
I have the basic Starkey model without iPhone connectivity. Works well. In another year or so will upgrade to the newer model with iPhone and translation capability!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2021, 01:02 PM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ > Raleigh, NC
16,890 posts, read 21,992,988 times
Reputation: 28178
Add one more REQUIREMENT for DH's hearing aids:. Bluetooth connectivity to the TV. He can hear it without the sound turned up so loud that I'm blasted to ceiling. AND he can watch and listen when it's set on mute so I don't have to hear his political crap.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2021, 01:34 AM
 
5,620 posts, read 3,624,080 times
Reputation: 13954
Probably the same, or similar to Sam's club, Walmart has two relatively inexpensive hearing aids.

Hearing Assist behind the ear hearing aids (which might be easiest for her in reality, and you can see visually if she's wearing them) for $500.

They also have Hearing Assist "black in the ear" hearing aids for $335 I think it is, if not they are $300 and something.

Just go to Walmart.com and type in "hearing aids".

Either should work well.

My father spent a whopping$5k on his, and can adjust them via his computer. He didn't care for them at all.
I do understand there's quite an adjustment to wearing hearing aids, and to the sounds they amplify.
My father said when he showed up to a follow up appointment with his hearing aids in hand, not in his ears, that the Dr challenged him to wear them for two weeks straight, never taking them out (they hide in his ears).
He said that did the trick to get him to wear them.

He said his biggest complaint was hearing too many sounds and it annoyed him. But after wearing them the two full weeks, he said he noticed that his brain started to block out the pin dropping or the slight creak in the wood floors, etc, sounds our brains would normally block out anyway.

That might be the issue with your mother, OP, she now hears EVERYTHING and it may annoy her.

Best to you...and her...

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2021, 07:50 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
9,862 posts, read 13,795,642 times
Reputation: 10295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post
Absolutely! And I have no problems with that because I got my life back. I can't tell you how many people I encounter who complain of their hearing aids are no longer working and did not know that they need to be cleaned every 3 to 6 months depending upon how much ear wax you produce. (Not just the everyday cleaning on the outside of the receiver you need to do yourself.)

The other thing that makes a huge difference for me is the Bluetooth connection with my iphone. The app on the iphone automatically adjusts my hearing aids based upon the noise level in any given location. Would not spend money on any hearing aids that does not have the ability to work with an app on my iphone. My hearing aids are now a part of my everyday life - like wearing glasses if you need them.

With regard to the OP's 90 year old mother - I don't think hearing aids at any price would work for her unless there was someone living with her who could help her with them on a daily basis.
I also like the bluetooth feature on my Costco HA's.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:17 PM
 
Location: Virginia
232 posts, read 152,084 times
Reputation: 595
Well, my sister just got her new hearing aids in and she will be in town in about a week with them to try out. Mom doesn't have a cell phone any longer. She couldn't find the charger (swore my sister stole them!). So she called the cell phone company and cancelled service. Surprised she knew how to do that and who to call. Technology was never her friend. She never could really understand how to use the cell phone and didn't think she needed it. We'll see how these work out for her and hopefully there will be some improvement. I am really impressed with the all the hearing aids out there and how they can be used with technology. Truly amazing!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 10:48 AM
 
2,950 posts, read 6,794,923 times
Reputation: 2810
What should I expect to spend for the better hearing aids at Costco? (Something with Bluetooth, iPhone app, that has DSPs to amplify speech but not background noise, etc.). If I’m going to bite the bullet, I want something I’m really happy with. I’ve been nearly deaf in one ear since age 14, and the other has a lot of frequency loss at this point. Tinnitus is also a big concern.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top