U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2008, 05:45 AM

11 posts, read 21,950 times

Advertisements

Anyone have an thoughts on finding a job in Smyrna? I've been looking for FT, or PT, and nothing seems to be around. By the way, I am 64. Perhaps that's the issue? Any thoughts anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 11:02 AM

2,317 posts, read 4,641,179 times
Retirement Jobs - Jobs for People Over 50
hope this site helps

Old 05-07-2008, 07:51 PM

6,974 posts, read 12,502,390 times
Im not sure if your in the Smyrna in Ga or not, but some of the rental car companies hire older workers as drivers. You would shuttle cars from various areas of the airport. Such as to a car wash or to the airport garages where the cars are rented. Also there are days when you would shuttle some of the rental cars to suburban rental car locations. You would only drive, you don't clean the cars. Alot of retired people turn to jobs like this because quite frankly there is not much out there even if your only 45 anymore. If your interested try, Dollar, Avis Budget. If your in Smyrna Ga, that might be to far from the Atlanta airport, Im guessing Smyrna is in Cobb County. I know at the Portland airport there are people in their 70's and even 80's doing this job.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:50 AM

60 posts, read 171,016 times
stormcloud, I feel your pain.

Do you have a particular field you want to be in, or are you willing to do just about any job?

Is there age discrimination? From my experience, yes. I'm in education. I have been told to my face, evidently by people with absolutely no fear of lawsuits, that I'm "too old" to teach and that they "don't like to hire old teachers, because they have so many bad habits." I'd be ROFLMBO if it weren't so upsetting from a financial outlook. I mean, LOOK at the headlines, far too many young female teachers basically molesting children, and crazies duct-taping children to desks and so forth. Young hardly means better! But the choosing ought to be on WHO can likely do the BEST JOB, not on age. I'm in my 40's by the way. That's "old" in some careers.

I'm retiring from teaching and looking to work as a prep cook now. Yep. Life hands you a lemon, make lemon curd, eh? Consider trying to get on as a prep cook, either at a restaurant or a nursing home. They are hurting for workers in some areas. Low pay, of course, hard job. But steady. Lucky for me, the teens don't want these jobs anymore. But every town needs cooks, and the turnover in that field is astronomical. I think it drives them to drink or something. As a teetotaler, that won't be a problem for me.

Good luck to you. Some other jobs to consider trying to get:
Tutoring
Classroom aide (they don't care if you're "old" for this one, ha)
Greenhouse worker (seasonal, unfortunately)
Sitter (this one is good if you like to help people. There are some jobs where you basically just sit w/the person, help a bit in the house, and run errands, no personal care)

Old 05-11-2008, 02:18 PM

8,281 posts, read 11,136,078 times
You may be surprised at how your opportunities improve after you're 65 and can tell the employer," I don't need health benefits". I know out here it's a big issue. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement