U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2008, 04:55 PM

11 posts, read 21,938 times

Advertisements

Anyone have experience with getting disability in Pinellas County, FL/ I'v heard it isn't very hard, but where I come from people rarely get it. Any thoughts? Aso, do you know what the job market is like in Pinellas County. I'm thinking of moving there in couple of weeks and need part time work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 04:43 PM

13,773 posts, read 33,896,767 times
It really depends on your disability. I know some folks who got it, first time they applied and others who had to jump through hoops to get it or are still trying. Many have to try at least 3 times. My stepson was severely injured in an auto accident and can't stand or sit for more a long period of time and he has been turned down. He now has a lawyer. I have a friend who had a stroke, he was turned down, my SIL applied due to mental health problems and got accepted the first time. Point being, you never know.

As far as part time jobs, they are available, but a lot depends on your background. Home Depot hires part time ppl, but you have to work weird hours and weekends. Most part-time jobs pay less than $10 an hour with 20 hours max.

Old 05-11-2008, 02:08 PM

8,239 posts, read 11,104,689 times
Are you talking about State (temporary ) disability? Or Federal Social Security disability? The former vary by State, the latter is the same no matter where you live. Regarding the latter, virtually no one gets it the first time, you have to appeal it. 90% of the applicants don't follow through with the appeal. Out here, most attorneys don't want to talk to you until you've been turned down. If you prevail, the attorney costs come out of your settlement amd are very reasonable. Good luck.

Old 05-14-2008, 04:48 PM

12,436 posts, read 31,483,930 times
IF you can work...even parttime You are not eligable for SS Disability!

Old 05-17-2008, 09:52 PM

8,239 posts, read 11,104,689 times
Talking Yes you can!

I respectfully disagree. The Social Security Administration has several "work incentive" programs to let people ease back into the world of work without losing their benefits all at once. Get a copy of the "Social Security Red Book" or consult with someone at your local SS office. If you're only on SSDI there is a Trial Work Experience period where you can make above the SGA (Significant Gainful Activity) Which I think is $900,$1500 for the blind but don't quote me.,for something like 9 months or it may be longer. It's different for SSI than for SSDI. It's a complicated system but your statement was overly broad. They WANT you to work but you have to report your earnings because there is an offset. and many people opt for working part time because they can earn extra income and still keep the medical benefits. Go down and talk to someone . Good luck!

Old 05-18-2008, 12:30 PM

Yes they have programs to help you get back to work once you are on disability....but IF you are working BEFORE disability you do not qulify....

Old 05-18-2008, 03:49 PM

46 posts, read 138,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Yes they have programs to help you get back to work once you are on disability....but IF you are working BEFORE disability you do not qulify....
That is not true. Why would it be? I've even personally known people who have been approved for SSI/SSDI for disability, while working.

If your income is too high, you can't get SSI, but that is regardless of whether you're actually working or not.

Old 05-18-2008, 08:06 PM

Well when I applied I was earning $50 per week...guess that was TOO high! Right now my son is being supported by me because his Lawyer told him NO JOB not even part time or temp untill he starts getting his checks!! Then I have a Friend that lives with her kids & babysits her grandson...this women has extreame poor health...but this is conserdered a job...so she cant collect her own SSD!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement