U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 05:06 PM

5,440 posts, read 10,526,253 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to retire from law enforcement after 31 years of work in an urban city. My question to retirees and almost retirees is I'm used to working since a teenager and I just received an offer for part time work that pays fairly well. Would you consider working 2 days a week to stay busy as officially retired, semi retired or still an official worker? Thanks JM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2008, 05:52 PM

8,236 posts, read 18,521,294 times
I will be retiring from teaching in June (Brooklyn) and I was very surprised to be asked to return as a consultant for The Board of Ed. They would want me for three days . but I do not believe that I could manage that. Two, though. That might be doable. But, the bottom line is that I really do not want to go back at all . That is how I feel now before retiring.

So, my answer to you is , if that is what you want to do why not?

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 05-10-2008, 06:36 PM

450 posts, read 1,839,426 times
Wink True retirement.

I think it is great if you want to work part-time. But it has to be completely voluntary and not a necessity to make ends meet. You are not truly retired until you have some "critical mass" in your finances so you do not "have" to work. You must be in a position to say to any job--take it and shove it!--without worrying about the financial consequences.

Old 05-10-2008, 08:29 PM

30,687 posts, read 49,469,539 times
My pension is enough to support us, so I am 'retired'.

Then as a separate issue; our investment portfolio is large enough and brings in enough that it could support us, so I could be 'retired' just on that.

We bought land and are starting up a farm, as a hobby, to keep us busy, because we want to. My Dw works part-time in a grocery store, because she wants to.

I would consider this to be 'retirement'.

Old 05-11-2008, 02:19 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,619 posts, read 39,986,663 times
If you are doing what is important to you and by free will, AND you could quit tomorrow for any reason and still survive with out HAVING to go back to work, then you are retired...

I consider myself 'between jobs', rather than retired (except when applying for a loan ) not that I will ever have another job, but if I want to work or volunteer, or farm, or RV... to me, it's OK ... I'm finished with the 'career' thing. I can sing Johnny Paycheck with the best of them.

I would, however, take a break if I were in your position, rather than go immediately into another responsibility. If they will give you ample WEEKS away to meet your objectives, then that would be a good way to 'train' your new employer. I personally need a few weeks apart to get into the groove of enjoying being away from work. I always took at least a month vacation at a time rather than a few days. I like to be gone, more than be home, and am averse to any schedule or regularity. I never sit in the same seat at school, meetings, church, diners... or walk the same path while mowing the lawn or strolling - so I guess I'm not the one to ask.

Enjoy your retirement

Old 05-11-2008, 06:14 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,830,715 times
I agree with the others. Are you working because you have to, or working because you want to? Viva la difference.

Old 05-11-2008, 12:07 PM

4,628 posts, read 9,277,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
I'm looking to retire from law enforcement after 31 years of work in an urban city. My question to retirees and almost retirees is I'm used to working since a teenager and I just received an offer for part time work that pays fairly well. Would you consider working 2 days a week to stay busy as officially retired, semi retired or still an official worker? Thanks JM
Oh my gosh, I just posted relative to this in a previous thread! Now, are you asking because you're just curious about the responses, or because you are seriously contemplating working?

Wish you could talk to a friend of mine, who literally cut and run as fast as he could. And he was in your postion. Granted he and his wife planned very well for retirement - living in the same house for almost thirty years, so it's paid off, and they are not and have never been spendthrifts, put two kids through college, travel when they want. He has such a great attitude about things, there was never a question in his mind about what to do when he retired from law enforcement. He's 53 years old this year.

I know every person's situation is different, but if you can manage it, why get a part-time job? Just the fact that you're calling it a "job" should tell you to let it go! But, of course, your choice. There are so many other things in life that you can do! Good luck to you, in what you decide, too.

IMHO, the repsonses here are wonderful, and I agree with all of them!

Old 05-11-2008, 03:30 PM

13,322 posts, read 25,574,131 times
I'd consider it "retirement" if you are collecting a pension, or tapping your retirement funds, or collecting Soc.Security. I'd consider working "retirement" if you don't have to work to pay the bills. I might work part-time in my (future) retirement for "walking-around money" and so as not to clobber my own funds too fast and early. But knowing I don't *have* to would make it retirement.

Old 05-11-2008, 04:22 PM

2,172 posts, read 6,888,724 times
I'm retired but I still get paid to do some things. But it's not 9-5 type work and offers me flexibility to do it or not.
Most important, I enjoy doing it. I got rid of all the stuff I didn't like about working and just do the parts I do like.
Working a couple of days a week may be a good way to transition into not working at all. Or you might decide you want to work more days.
To me, retirement means being able to choose how you spend your day. If you want to work for part of it, do it! Do what makes you happy.

Old 05-11-2008, 05:29 PM

8,236 posts, read 18,521,294 times
Question what to do????

Wouldn't working part-time impair my Social Security benefits ? I guess that I am looking for a way to turn down the job offer from my Principal. The amount that they offer per diem is quite high for a minimum of work and I feel like an ungrateful fool for refusing it, but as I feel now (with thirty days until I leave) , I just do NOT want to do it.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement