U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Old 05-13-2008, 09:56 AM
68 posts, read 310,254 times
Reputation: 111


As a current New Yorker, I never had a driver's license, nor needed to drive to get around. We are now looking at retiring to a slightly warmer part of the country. I've noticed that in quite a few retirement areas, people use golf carts to get around. Do you need a driver's license to get and use a golf cart? If so, I really don't see what the advantage a golf cart would have over owning a small car. What do people do who don't have a driver's license?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2008, 12:10 AM
20,577 posts, read 39,194,127 times
Reputation: 13143
I asked the same question here in California and was surprised to learn that certain exceptions applied to person use on Golf Course Property and Property adjacent to the Golf Course even it the road is public...

The big question is to make sure you can get liability insurance should the unthinkable happen... my understanding is that golf cart insurance can often be extended from your home owner's policy...

Good to see your thinking about it in advance...
Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2008, 07:23 PM
48,527 posts, read 67,831,143 times
Reputation: 17676
In many of those retirement communities the road are private;so they make the rules. I certianly would check on insurance tho because you might need it whether required or not.
Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2008, 08:54 PM
Status: "Celebrating 51 plus..." (set 21 days ago)
Location: Out there somewhere...
35,027 posts, read 34,762,758 times
Reputation: 92302
In the Sun Cities of AZ if you drive a Golf Car on public streets, YOU must be licensed, the GOLF CAR must be licensed, and you are only allowed to drive on streets where the speed limit is 35MPH or under. Insurance is mandatory.
Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2008, 07:48 PM
Location: Central Fl
2,901 posts, read 9,091,347 times
Reputation: 2750
It costs me only $50.00 per year for my golf cart insurance. That includes liability and collision, etc.
I just saw on The Villages TV channel a person stating that the cost of driving a golf cart comes to only about 6 cents per mile.........there are thousands of people there who only have a golf cart, having no need to own a car anymore.

Frank D.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2016, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top