U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 02:28 PM

16,437 posts, read 19,152,562 times

Advertisements

If you renounce your US citizenship then you can get healthcare as an illegal alien. Where could they deport you to if you are a native born American? Another healthcare option is to become a three time loser and get free room, board and health care for life. My choice of felonies would be blocking the entrance to an abortion clinic three times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 05:43 PM

8,236 posts, read 18,527,559 times
No citizen should have to become bankrupted trying to cover the cost of medical attention. No citizen should have to be turned away because they canít afford insurance, medical bills or prescription drugs.

No citizen should, but many many are .

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 03-18-2012, 05:37 PM

739 posts, read 1,611,784 times
This is an old thread but still relevant.
Four years hence, I was able to obtain new medical insurance recently. We now pay $500 per month (just for me) with a $2,500 deductible and a thirty percent co-pay. So it will run us about $8,500 to see any money. Some things don't require the deductible to be met first but that is a short list.

At this point, we are looking into heading to the UK. My DH is from there and we would have no trouble getting set up. His family is there, my family is in NY and 'our' family (kids, grandkids) are here in the northwest. It won't be easy but is do-able.

He is covered by Medicare and has a supplemental plan. It costs $240 a month. Together we are shelling out almost $12,000 per year. We are on a fixed income and that comes right off the top.

Ridiculous.

Old 03-18-2012, 06:14 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,622,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk View Post
This is an old thread but still relevant.
Four years hence, I was able to obtain new medical insurance recently. We now pay $500 per month (just for me) with a $2,500 deductible and a thirty percent co-pay. So it will run us about $8,500 to see any money. Some things don't require the deductible to be met first but that is a short list.

At this point, we are looking into heading to the UK. My DH is from there and we would have no trouble getting set up. His family is there, my family is in NY and 'our' family (kids, grandkids) are here in the northwest. It won't be easy but is do-able.

He is covered by Medicare and has a supplemental plan. It costs $240 a month. Together we are shelling out almost $12,000 per year. We are on a fixed income and that comes right off the top.

Ridiculous.
Thanks for the update. What state do you live in? Did you obtain "underwritten" insurance for the $500/mo you mentioned? I think your earlier posts mentioned that you had health issues that might be prohibitive in terms of getting underwritten insurance in the US (unless you are in a state that offers expensive guaranteed issue insurance such as NY, Maine, Mass, etc).

I'm interested in more specifics since I am looking for a place to retire and feel trapped in MI since I am 63 and would have a hard time getting underwritten insurance in any state. Once I'm 65 I can move anywhere in the US and pick up a supplemental plan, but I'd love to move now. Anyway, any additional info would be appreciated.

I, too, have research moving to Canada, and it's just not doable for an American as discussed earlier in the thread. The UK is great, and I've visited many times, but way out of reach financially to live there. You are lucky to have family connections there.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:53 AM

6,936 posts, read 7,266,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleenh54 View Post
My retired spouse and I are fed up with the health care situation here.
If you don't like the excellent healthcare system in the USA, the ease of receiving service/care, than I suspect you'll be very, very disappointed if you move to Canada ... just because you think the Canadian system will serve you better.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:52 AM

48,516 posts, read 83,999,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleenh54 View Post
Poor Canadian health care beats excellent but unaffordable health care in the US; IOW, it's better than nuthin'.
Meicaid is not a nothighealthcare system but one has to quailfy.Then one has to ditingusih universal form one poayer ;they are not the same. All healthcare si paid for by someone or eans;its not free except tot eh poorest who quaify for medicaid here. Most alos have much mroe managed care than most in US are use to.Its quite easy for a local area to have freew clinic and eve systems to pay fo hospitalizion;all it takes is taxpayers to agree.Modren state of the art medicine is not cheap no matter who or how its paid for. One thing to consider is that US actaully does and pays for 70% of medical and drug reserch which doesn't come cheap ;either.

Old 03-19-2012, 02:30 PM

13,895 posts, read 25,347,447 times
No one wants immigrants coming over just to use the system. They want productive citizens with many years to work in some highly skilled field. That pretty much cuts out retirees.

There are many other places to retire where you can get much cheaper insurance than in the US. Only problem is you have to live there and most Americans find themselves ill equipped to live outside the US.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:38 AM

739 posts, read 1,611,784 times
Xy2z, we live in Oregon. That $500 per month with the $1,500 deductible rose to $1,100 per month which is why it was time to look around. My health issue, which was cholesterol, is under control and I was able to obtain insurance for $469 per month with a $2,500 deductible.

The US spends twenty percent of its GDP on health care. That is INSANE.

TexDav, yes, someone has to pay; health care is not free. My objection is how much is going into the pockets of profit-driven insurance companies as opposed to the welfare and health of our citizens.

Yellowsnow, it is understandable that no one wants immigrants coming over just to use the system; presumably you mean Canada. True. But. We aren't indigent. What we would bring to the economy of Canada would be money spent on goods and services. We don't have kids in the schools which is a huge expense. We don't spend a lot of time in jail which also costs money.

I'll gladly pay into a fund for health care. When I see the CEO of a Big Insurance Company with a fleet of BMWs, a ski house and a beach house, I have to wonder seriously about the sanity of the US system.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:34 AM

8,628 posts, read 13,901,618 times
I wonder how the thousands of US citizens handle their health care in Western Canada ? The oil fields are ( or were) looking for able bodies, and the pay is much higher in Canada for the same job in the US. I do know in some cases these oil workers are working for an International Company, so, that might make a difference. I also know there are jobs waiting for you. Its now of the problems they are having in ND gas & Oil boom towns. People will move there , live in their very nice Fifth wheel homes, and work for good wages, jobs are everywhere. What is also happening is many will after a couple of months, just move on up to Canada, and, for the same job, make more money, and health care ? The problem in Canada is age. If you are over 45 , forget it, unless you qualify under one of the exceptions. Some are entertainers, artists, writers, teachers, along with the option to bring your own business along with you. Many small businesses in Canada, run by US citizens, big businesses also. Things are so bad in some places like Calgary where the shortage of low paying job workers are in short supply. Also I have heard MacDonald, and Tim Horton, are paying 20.00 an hour to flip burgers !
At one there was a retirement status for US citizens to live in Canada. many people in the Northwest bought a nice condo in Vancouver for less than what it would cost in the US and enjoyed a better lifestyle, and, it was legal. I know they changed the law on this, not sure why. Other things have also changed too like the age thing I said before. So , if you are under 45, able bodied, and can demonstrate your living in Canada would be good for you and the Country, you can work and live in a wonderful Country...... I sure wish my great grandfather had not sold his wheat ranch up there 75 years ago, when the integration laws were different. I personally have had a long term visa, so, technically I was a Resident of Canada, but I created my own business which I extended from the States. I never kept it going when I retired, so, now its too late for me, I love Canada and its people very much !

Old 03-20-2012, 06:39 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,999,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk View Post
Xy2z, we live in Oregon. That $500 per month with the $1,500 deductible rose to $1,100 per month which is why it was time to look around. My health issue, which was cholesterol, is under control and I was able to obtain insurance for $469 per month with a $2,500 deductible.

The US spends twenty percent of its GDP on health care. That is INSANE.

TexDav, yes, someone has to pay; health care is not free. My objection is how much is going into the pockets of profit-driven insurance companies as opposed to the welfare and health of our citizens.

Yellowsnow, it is understandable that no one wants immigrants coming over just to use the system; presumably you mean Canada. True. But. We aren't indigent. What we would bring to the economy of Canada would be money spent on goods and services. We don't have kids in the schools which is a huge expense. We don't spend a lot of time in jail which also costs money.

I'll gladly pay into a fund for health care. When I see the CEO of a Big Insurance Company with a fleet of BMWs, a ski house and a beach house, I have to wonder seriously about the sanity of the US system.
Have you actaully see what is goig inot their poackets. &% average which isn't that great on profits.Unhless your goig to get doctors like describe in VA which we soon will ;there is a real solution that cheap. Democarts under Hilary tried to figure a one payer and could. The present plan isn't goig to be that cheap and will have limits on what is allowed in treatment. Bascially meciare is lossig doctors except it and medicad is eve worse. Half the peopel not inursewd will be put into the mediaid system and i 2017 its goig to hit state taxpayers heavily for their half the cost. If they had doen that they could have have afforded the system law they passed. Mu private is under the mendated coverage and went up both for employer and for me at all point premiums(20%). Co-pay ( 25-25 dollars) and co-pays 500 to 100 dollars) ;drunsg (30%0.Total out of poacket 1500 to 2000 dollars). The componay cost was increased by 30% for their contribtuion.The main differences is uimited lifetime verus 2 million and insuring depednetns to 26 which was a huge increase on business.But new hire s now will have nothing contribted if they retire before 65 and no supplement once 65.Te company ahd such high liabilty cost that in order to show they have it covered they started a ilrevolkable trust they will pay inot for 10 years to cover present retiree.Without this their future liabilty would kill any interest when they needed to borrow money.With present 50% of workjig age adulkts not working for whatever reaso I doubt we will see it work. CBO just reported they see 15 Million still uninsured by 2020 under the law passed.The cost figurse were way off and the funding way short i the bill. So I highly doubt we will see anyoen see the coverage provided as anyhting like what is avilable now. That board will be cutting care;plain and simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement