U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 10:31 AM

5,319 posts, read 7,857,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlily View Post
I agree that San Diego probably does have the best climate. I'm not sure how friendly it is for retirees though.
Myself I'd be looking for a smaller city.There would be too much traffic and just too much of a crowd there for my liking. Maybe there are some suburbs that would be better for retired people.
The main time traffic is somewhat heavy is during rush hour. And it is nowhere near as bad as Los Angeles. SD beaches also can get crowded on busy holiday weekends, causing extra traffic on roads leading towards the beaches.
But if you live just a few miles inland, you barely notice any holiday traffic.

Chances are, when you're retired, you probably wont be on the roads much during rush hour.

The only places you find large crowds are at tourist spots, on busy summer weekends. Otherwise, it's really not that bad.

SD really is a fantastic place to live. It's almost like living in paradise. Check the SD message board at City-Data for even more info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 03:37 PM

16,092 posts, read 36,571,224 times
Personally I think Dallas has the best climate; also we have one of the best, largest airports in the world with cheap airfares so I can go anywhere I like when I don't like the weather here. Which is mostly just August. But then again, if you don't like the weather in Texas, just wait a few hours.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:03 PM

48 posts, read 120,430 times
Well, I did succumb to the urge and bought a new home in south Flor-eye-da. the main advantage over staying in a hotel is that you can stay around your home and enjoy family life rather than feeling so transitory. the cost however is that a home is much more expensive than a hotel. I think the home represents hope..... hope that you can do the 6 months south 6 months north life someday. I know that's a weak rationalization but actually I'm happy that I have the home even if i only visit it.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:30 AM

5 posts, read 3,144 times
Default central coast CA -- Santa Maria ??

Old thread, but perhaps a new suggestion -- Santa Maria area of central coast CA.

At least for the climate and affordability. Plenty under 200k now, and roughly similar to SD in climate.
Go an hour north to SLO or south to SB, prices double or more.

Not sure about the intangibles there though.

In CO now, and have been. Winters too long, and this summer was WAY TOO HOT. To live and work here, fine. Retire here? Not.

I'm with most, summer humidity and winter ice are out.

One thing I like, is summer thunderstorms. Not the FL type (after which it gets stickier), but the SW monsoon variety. Yesterday, in CO we got that "no clouds overhead, sunshine out, light sprinkles" thing that we get from a single cloud off to one side. A real storm would have been better, sans the hail. But nice. San Diego sees NO CLOUDS all summer, never mind rain. And their summer goes into Oct. Been there, done that. And just 10-15 miles inland, its blazing hot. To get 75 highs, you're looking west of I-5. And then the marine layer eats up half your day.

If I stay in the States, might end up with a summer place in the AZ highlands, and a winter escape in Tucson.

To the NM folks, any thoughts on Ruidoso?

Old 09-01-2012, 11:45 AM

48,516 posts, read 83,912,172 times
I think without a doubt that the southern coastal regions of california have the best weather climate.Othert than that its kind of poick what you prefer in cold or heat.Ulikie soem I hate evry dry climates because of the duct problems and I love green grass.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:56 AM

9,321 posts, read 16,577,349 times
The very best climate in my opinion is Hawaii and San Diego second. If you are on a shoestring...then forgedaboutid... If you are delusional, then start packing.

Old 09-01-2012, 01:35 PM
mlb

3,179 posts, read 2,854,709 times
I find San Diego mindbogglingly boring... I don't know why... perhaps because I've lived in LA and SFO.

Mediterranean weather.... is the best.

San Luis Obispo, Cambria... there abouts... would be nice.

Old 09-01-2012, 05:12 PM

4,343 posts, read 6,055,575 times
What is the best climate for your needs? I love living in Cape Cod, Massachusetts. Milder winters than Boston, cooler summers, I experience all four seasons, and what's not to like? Climate is an individual thing. It's like pizza... thick crust, thin crust, extra cheese, coal fired, wood fired... One man's climate is another man's sweat factory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or